• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

back to work

debbiejane

hi all ,just wondering if any one could tell me how long you need to be off work after bypass,im a hairdresser so on my feet all day, i have told all my work mates so will be no prob thanks debbie x:):bliss:

i've been told 6 weeks but I do know of people going back after a few days. I think it all depends on your surgeons recommendation as they all seem to have differing opinions.

10 weeks I had of work. It also depends what job you do as to wether you will be comfy . I couldnt walk up right for over 4 weeks

I work in an office and thats more stressful than physical, but I know when I had my band I struggled to go back after 6 weeks. I'm off at the minute having ahd band removed and I certainly think i'l be off more than 2 weeks. Then i'm having a bypass in 3 months and I believe I will be off more than 6 weeks, you lose a lot of energy when you stop eating 'normally', and I found I slept a lot when I first started to lose a lot of weight.

This is just my experience though, everyone is different.

Sorry forgot to say mine was keyhole..

I was wondering the same thing too - i'm having keyhole surgery (hopefully) and was wondering how long i will need off.
I'm a social worker so was thinking i'd be able to cope with going back to the desk based work quite quickly but was unsure about going out and about on visits ?

i had a bypass was told 4-6 weeks, im going back after 6wks mine is a stressful mainly office based but i do have some machinery that are heavy to move in and out, the surgeon suggested six weeks so thats what im doing, i do still feel a bit tired in the afternoons and this is at wk4 post op. hope this helps. xxx

I was told 2 weeks, I had keyhole surgery, but i had some complications, and have been off 5 weeks now, and taking another 2 at least, so 7 in total!

I was advised 6 weeks aswell, one of the nurses who took bloods at the hospital went back after 3 weeks and deeply regreted it, saying that 6 would have probably been the best for her.

I had lapcrscopic bypass a few weeks ago ... went back to work 5 days later (Op on a Wed - returned work on Monday, having taken 3 days as holiday). For me it was a bit like this .... day 1-3 felt grim, day 4 felt miles better, day 5 felt pretty normal.

I work in an office, commute by train, with some long haul international travel on a monthly basis. First week I felt a bit pooped by end of day and that's with me sitting on my bum most of the time, so if you need to stand all day I suspect you'd need more breaks or to wait longer. If I did it again, I'd probably have taken a week off.

It just goes how variable the experience can be. I think I might have been pretty lucky.

Hope it goes well for you!
Hugs
yoyo

thankyou so much everybody you are all so nice an quick to coe back with answers, so glad i found you all, hugs debbie x

Back