• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Balloon Criteria?

Hi Guys!

Can someome one help me out please?

I friend of mine is going soon to see a Clinincal Psychologist about possibly having a balloon fitted.

I have read mixed reviews on here, but can anyone tell me what the criteria is for being allowed to get one?

Any info appreciated!

Thanks

From what I have very recently been told, the balloon is used as a short-term (usually around 6 - 9 months) weight loss method of restricting food intake in people with a very high BMI, to help achieve weight-loss, thereby bringing that person's weight down to a safer BMI so a bypass (or similar) can be performed. Not sure about specific criteria though....I got the impression it was almost always used as a pre-cursor to a bypass, eeeeekkkk, hopefully someone will come along soon with a better answer xxx

They are usually used if you are very overweight and a bypass could not be carried out safely till some weight had been lost, using a balloon for 6 months.

I think they can be used by people who are over weight by 3-6 ish stone to, but privately.
I know someone at the min who has the balloon NHS to get her weight down to have a bypass. She has been really ill with it, but she is super obese and has something wrong with her kidneys, before she told me this i thoughtit was safe, as it only takes around 10 mins to do. xxx

Back