• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band problems- need revision? Help!

Hattie9288

Hi all

This is my first post on here so would really appreciate some help. I had my gastric band 5 years ago and have been fantastically happy with it. It's worked really well and I went down from 16 st to 10st.

However over the last year and a half I have had constant pain in my left abdomen just up under the ribs that goes through to my back. It's almost always there and is worst after eating. Fairly early on I wondered if it might be the band and the nhs did me a barium swallow which all looked fine. Since then I have had a colonoscopy endoscopy X-rays ultrasound and even just had my gallbladder removed as I had gallstones and they said it may be referred pain! All to no avail and have still got the pain. It's like a gnawing pain that varies in intensity.

I am starting to wonder if there is any more complex reasons the band may cause this pain such as rubbing or pulling on the stomach? I have had fills out and in in the last year but they seem to give me severe restriction at some points of the day and almost nothing at other times, and I have also put on 1st.

I've always loved my band and done really well so it's really getting me down not to mention the constant pain. Because I am tolerating fluids and liquids and aren't flat on the floor people are tending to dismiss the band. Did anyone else have problems with their band that were similar? If so how did you get them diagnosed. I was banded privately and the nhs have said I'm on my own now so any tests I will have to pay for myself x

Hi Hattie
I have had a lot of problems with my band and am hoping to have a revision to sleeve in the new year. I had it repositioned in January and since then have experienced a stitch like pain undef left bust I think it could b wind have you got any heartburn or acid reflux x

If your looking for a revision surgery and present to NHS they may remove your band for you which would leave you free to pursue a different surgery down the line

Hi Hattie
I have had a lot of problems with my band and am hoping to have a revision to sleeve in the new year. I had it repositioned in January and since then have experienced a stitch like pain undef left bust I think it could b wind have you got any heartburn or acid reflux x

Hi Monalisa

Aw thank you for replying. It's been such an awful year! Mine is similar to stitch pain but I don't get heartburn or acid reflux which is why i think they were telling me it wasn't the band causing it! When I lie on my left hand side in bed it feels like their is pressure there and although it's mainly after eating sometimes I have it when I haven't eaten and I've also had to give up my beloved running because the impact seems to bring it on really badly. Can I ask why you had yours repositioned? I don't know what to do I'm convinced it's the band but nothing showed up on the barium swallow! :sigh::sigh:

Yes of course I had a large pouch that had caused a slippage unfortunately I know have oesophageal dilation but all my problems did show up on the barium swallow I've only had the stitch type pain since the second op for reposition I'll let you know if it goes when it's removed in January x

Thanks yes that would be great if you could let me know! I've never come across anyone else with the same symptoms as this so would be so reassuring, good luck with your revision surgery, I'd love to know how you get on as I am thinking of doing the same myself. Xx

I have a band and have had trouble with restriction. I am looking to have a revision to sleeve. But not holding much hope.

I get a pain under the left breast I think mine is scar tissue pulling as that can build up around the band and tubing.

Also get gall stone pain on right round to my back.

Hope your problems get resolved

Back