• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

band to bypass

bravemikey

hi all its been a few years since I was here. my banding took place in 2010 over about six months I lost about 5 stone however it was always very difficult with lots of vomiting and l pain. my band was adjusted about 8 times and I was told it was impossible to get a sweet spot. I was always hungry with the band and became quite depressed as i regained all my Weight. after a long fight with the nhs I had the band removed. However I Am eligible for revision surgery and am going in for a bypass in October. has anyone had similar experiences and if so how have you got on

hi all its been a few years since I was here. my banding took place in 2010 over about six months I lost about 5 stone however it was always very difficult with lots of vomiting and l pain. my band was adjusted about 8 times and I was told it was impossible to get a sweet spot. I was always hungry with the band and became quite depressed as i regained all my Weight. after a long fight with the nhs I had the band removed. However I Am eligible for revision surgery and am going in for a bypass in October. has anyone had similar experiences and if so how have you got on

Best of luck. Can't wait to see how you get on.

Hi,

I underwent band to bypass in March (NHS) this year after numerous band problems. I was banded in 2008 (private) and then had another surgery to reposition(NHS) after a slip in 2010. We by band I was sick with everything I ate. Everything including water! used to get stuck in my throat and would not go down for hours and hours.
Bypass has been amazing. I have not been sick once nor had any good get stuck. It us a completly different world. I feel like I eat like a normal person now...although I do find that I am always hungry!!! I think that is just me though. You will feel soooooo much better with bypass. Good luck.

hi brave mikey, can I ask if you don't mind how you pushed for the funding? im in the same boat, had a band initially lost 5 stone over 2 years, then my band was filled too much. It has never been the same since, eveytime I get to 6mm, im vomiting and having chronic reflux, therefore I cannot reach my level or restriction which was previously at 7.2m in a 10m band. Im back from the hospital today after having the whole lot of fluid took out, however the nurses are not supportive of revision surgery stating that there is no reason why the bandshouldnt work. Im at a loss and don't know how to move from here x

They were never able to get my restriction correct it was either to tight no fluids or to loose eventually I went private and paid for the fluid to be removed £150 2 mins work. I was still choking and vomiting with the fluid out. It took a lot of pressure on the hospital and I eventually resided to going abroad to have the band removed.
However the trust agreed to band removal with the possibility of revision surgery at a later date if funding would be agreed.
I applied for individual funding through my gp. and was just lucky however I have diabettes hypertension sleep apnoea high cholesterol and a heart condition. All of which should be greatly improved.
just keep on at the officials and good luck

so was this made as a prior approval (pa) or a individual request. From speaking to a bariatric commissioner, the route seems to be pa first, then if all else fails apply for individual funding which is supposed to be exceptionally hard, so well done to you!
Im not sure now how to go about it, im meeting with the gp soon to try and convince her to do a prior approval request, bypassing the hospital. My concerns about this are the hospital may argue against me having no correct level, and say things like im just not working with it etc etc. I had my band private and went over to the NHS with complications of reflux over tight band and vomiting, ive never been the same since. x Well done x

so was this made as a prior approval (pa) or a individual request. From speaking to a bariatric commissioner, the route seems to be pa first, then if all else fails apply for individual funding which is supposed to be exceptionally hard, so well done to you!
Im not sure now how to go about it, im meeting with the gp soon to try and convince her to do a prior approval request, bypassing the hospital. My concerns about this are the hospital may argue against me having no correct level, and say things like im just not working with it etc etc. I had my band private and went over to the NHS with complications of reflux over tight band and vomiting, ive never been the same since. x Well done x

It seems a lot of people have problems with bands, that's what I wanted originally but think I might change my mind to a sleeve or bypass. Hope you get it sorted x

hi all its been 18 days now since my bypass op and feel really positive however this morning I became quite I'll I was out of sweetener so put sugar in my coffee I just wondered if anyone else has had the following symptoms which I am guessing was dumping syndrome.
I felt really sick and soon afterwards felt really cold and couldn't get warm.
I got back into bed but started shaking all over and couldn't control the shaking. this lasted for about 40 mins and left me feeling very weak and tired. slept most of the day. if that's dumping I don't want to experience it often. on the up side the bypass is a completely different experience to my banding which failed
your vies and experience an would be appreciated
thanks

wow opp done :) really pleased to here all is going well, besides the dumping via sugar. Really usefull posts in the post opp section :) worth a look. BTW the nhs surgeon has recommended my gp go down the individual funding request, when he said it I thought of you! fingers crossed for me, and for a successful journey for you following the band. :)

Hi I'm just in the process of having a band to bypass revision I had my band prob five years ago lost about five stone had a couple of complications along the way faulty port and tube for the last year and a half I've suffered with severe reflux sick three-five times a night suffered all this time cause I payed privately and it was £85 a fill/de fill cause I was out of my warranty as such!! Badgered the doctors various hospital apps endoscopy showed I have a hernia sitting just above my pouch on my band so fingers crossed the action they are proposing to take is to take my band out (complete defill of it tomorrow!!) repair the hernia and bypass at the same time wish me luck and fingers crossed it all happens!!

Back