• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band stay or not too stay....

Annerley

Hi all out there!! :D

Now ,i need to have a Band,due to weight and dodgy hormones.I'm a single mum of a 4year old.Can i have a band fitted without having to stay in hospital overnight?as a day patient :confused: i would be able to get friends to look after my child during the day but at night would be different all together.ho hum i am in all of a bother...

I am guessing it depends on your provider. My provider (Walsall Manor Hospital) do bands as day cases.... Each to their own unfortunately. Ask the question, ring the surgeons secretary and ask her to find out...

That is if your deffo having a band........

ive heard they can do day cases...i had mine at half 4 in the afternoon but i was a WRECK and needed to be in hospital overnight defo. was a real struggle getting home and for the first 10days totally relied on husband doing everything around the house and the kids. i have a 1, 4 and 7 year old and its gonna be tough doing simple things like even bending over to wipe his butt, or tucking him in at night or getting up with him to make brekky and get him bathed and dressed.

u will need support even if u manage to get home in a day. i'd advice u stay in overnight and get someone to help if u can. must be hard being a single mum but its gonna be harder with a new band.

I think Blue Diamond was a day patient. However, I'm going to be honest here, I had my operation at 8am, and was out of it for the full day and all night, I didn't feel human until the next morning. I only vaguely remember my hubby and son visiting. I know that everyone is different and others have been fine, but I do think you need have a plan in place incase you're not up to coming home early. xx

To be honest and this is just my opinion, I think you will need better support than that with a young kid. Mine are older but I knew I could rely on them if I had had to, luckily I was okay but I stayed away an extra night (my choice as I was a private patient in Belgium).

Just a quick word of warning. A few years ago I had an attempted band (which wasnt fitted in the end!). Unfortunatly The surgeon hit an artery and I ended up having open surgery and intentensice care for 24 hours! I dont say this to alarm you as I was very unlucky and had previous surgery which caused adhesions. But more to say you need to prepare for an overnight stay even if you can have it as a day case. You never know what may happen. Also I have a feeling that if you have an anaesthetic you should have someone with you for 24 hours.
Sorry to be doom and gloom!!!!!!
xxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with everyone in that you must plan for the worst case scenario. Can you get a relative or friend to stay overnight with you and handle the lifting etc? As you can see it will be hard to lift your little one up etc, don't underestimate how much support you will need at home. It's better to organise the help.

I think that you will feel that you need to stay in overnight. My op was at 9:30 and tbh I felt like I could have stayed 2 days! Even though you are having keyhole surgery you still have a general anathestic (sp?) and will feel a bit zombiefied. I had to sign something before they let me out of hospital to say that someone would be looking after me for 24 hours after I went home.

Hi
I also have kids 1 & 5yrs and i have to say there is no way i could have been responsible for them later on that afternoon or evening!

I had my surgery at 10.30 am, they have to give you morphine during surgery for pain relief and that along with the anaesthetic drugs mean you are totally off for about 24hrs!

You need a responsible adult to look after you for 24hrs after a GA so i would advise getting someone to take your wee one over night and getting a rest, cause the first few days after the op may be sore and an active 4yr old might not understand.

I hope this helps x

I think that you will feel that you need to stay in overnight. My op was at 9:30 and tbh I felt like I could have stayed 2 days! Even though you are having keyhole surgery you still have a general anathestic (sp?) and will feel a bit zombiefied. I had to sign something before they let me out of hospital to say that someone would be looking after me for 24 hours after I went home.

Now you mention it, I seem to remember signing something to say I had an adult with me for the next few days xx

Back