• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band info please!

Jude44

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to this site and have decided to take the leap & have a band fitted. Done my research, have consultations at 2 different private hospitals in the next few wks.

A few concerns:
*Bands now designed to stay in for life - has anyone had a band in for 5 years plus?
*Worried about band erosion/damage to stomach - any advice welcome!
*If medical emergency occurs as result of band, will NHS have duty of care to assist?
*If band has to be removed due to medical problems, will I have to pay privately again for more surgery?
*On average, how many fills are needed to hit 'sweet spot'? (One of the hospitals only offers 4 fills as part of aftercare package).

Any advice/personal experience from fellow bandits would be greatly appreciated. I want to get this right first time round!

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hi Jude44,

I only had my band fitted last week so can't answer some of questions but with a BMI of 37 I was advised by my GP that I couldn't get a band on the NHS - when I asked her if there were any complications would the NHS rectify she told me that of course they would. If you walk into an A&E and have an issue they will treat you regardless.
I've been told as long as you follow the advise given to you you should not experience erosion
With regards to how many fills you need, 4 from your provider seems very little - I went with the hospital group and have free band fills for 2 years. Also my liaison at THG has had hers in for 10 years and said she's had no issuesand expects she'll keep it in.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck with your consultations! X

Hi Jude and welcome
Firstly four fills won't usually be enough everyone is different and they can be a bit finicky to get just right
As someone who unfortunately had a lot of band problems the NHS did assist me as a medical necessity and would have removed it my full story is on the first page of my Diary if you want to read it
Just carefully research providers and surgeon and fingers crossed all will be good there are plenty of successful banders about I was unlucky
Good luck with your journey X

Back