• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band to Sleeve Revison

Hi

I haven't posted here for quite a while and my last posts were probably in the Band forum. I had my band in June 2012 and all went well for approx. 18 months. The band then slipped and was emptied and I put just over 2 stone back on in between emptying and my reposition.

To try and keep this short I had the band repositioned in June 2014. I never lost any weight after this was done and struggled daily with sickness every time I tried to eat. Went back and forth trying to find the "sweet spot" I never found it again and just maintained but was basically eating slider food as couldn't keep anything else down without being in pain and vomiting.

Over the last two months I have even been struggling with liquids and have felt quite ill. I went for an emergency x ray and was found to have a pouch/slip yet again. Was told not even liquid was going through my band and the band even without any fills had been repositioned too tight!. I only had 3mls in the band which they obviously emptied straight away.

I have been told that once a band has slipped that the relationship between patient and band never comes back and they no longer are offering repositioning because of this very problem. I am now facing a band removal on 15th March. I have been told I can have this revised to a sleeve at the same time (privately).

I am scared if im honest of something going wrong but have provisionally booked myself in. I have only had the band emptied since Thursday (three days ago) and my stomach is huge and I cant even fasten my jeans and look like I have a small football underneath my clothes. I am devastated and cant understand what this is because I am not eating bad food and trying to eat all the veg and fruit I have craved so why am I so bloated . I understand that I was possibly in starvation mode for the last few weeks and maybe it is my bodies way of grabbing what it can.

Any help from anyone would me hugely appreciated. Has anyone had revision from Band to sleeve and seen good results and did the op go ok ?

Please help I would be so grateful.

Hello and welcome back!

Yes I've had a band to sleeve revision but a two step rather than one go.

My band hadn't slipped but it needed to come out all the same.

I'm four months out from my conversion and my losses have been slow but steady but I wasn't 'that big' to start with.

All the best for this next stage of your journey x

Thanks for the reply mazza.

I am expecting the weight loss to be very slow to be honest. My BMI is only 32.8 now but still classed as obese. I guess im happy as I am right now compared to how I used to be but I just don't want to put my weight back on and know I will without the band so the revision is my only option.

Did you find the revision to sleeve painful? and how do you find it now things have settled down.

Thanks

mandie

Hi

Yes it was painful, when I came round my body went well into shock but the nurses soon sorted out my pain meds.

Im fnding it great to be honest. I feel full after a small meal without the worry of food getting stuck etc.

Don't regret it thats for sure xx

I had band to bypass revision done in 2 stages..
Band out in May 2014
Bypass July 2014
Best thing I ever did..
Had my band for 10 years and the last 2 years were pure hell .
I'm due to have a further surgery to "tweak" my bypass in the next few weeks..
Not 100% sure what surgery I'm having as I need to talk it through with my consultant on the day..
I was banded private but managed to have my care taken on by the NHS thank god ..
I would defo opt for the help of sleeve /bypass if you have the finances and same day one step procedure would be more economical I imagine..
I don't know how much weight you want to lose but I have never regretted my bypass..
I just regret I didn't have it done sooner..
Good luck with what ever you choose to do x

Back