• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

band to bypass june/july time support needed

becky88

:) hi guys,

Im having a revision done, im only 26 so not feeling great about it. Had a band in 2011 lost 4/5 stones, it was private but went over to the nhs following difficulties. Since then my band has been emptied, i was 18 stone when i had the band im now 21 stone!! as a single mum im desperate to get this weight gone. Went to see Mr James Halstead with The Hospital Group, and looking to have this done in June / July time. Atm its chaos because im with the NHS for band aftercare and am applying via individual funding request to see if the NHS can perform the operation. If all else fails, ive saved evey penny of my student finance which i was using for my MA social work, and im going to go private. It will cost £10,000 :eek: especially after paying £6000 originally.

Looking for advice from any bandser to bypass, what was your experiences, im having the conversion in one opp. worried about the physical and pschological changes, what is the hardest thing to adjust to. Im at uni and have half hour for dinner! how can you incorporate the bypass eating requirements with uni/work life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou guys, very very scared i may die on the table. Im only 26 how did i get here :sigh:

Hi Becky88
I cant give you any answers to your questions but I didn't want to rad and run without wishing you lots of luck and im sure someone will pop along soon and be able to give you an answer

I has me Halstead for my sleeve he is fantastic! Good luck with your journey I hope it all goes well..

Hi Becky mr halstead did my band at thg he was lovely although I have just had to have it repositioned on the NHS, I know how you feel I went through my second op on Saturday it was cancelled on Monday due to lack of beds. I too feel like I am back at square one at the moment
Good luck and I hope the nhs fund you save you paying again x

:) hi guys, Im having a revision done, im only 26 so not feeling great about it. Had a band in 2011 lost 4/5 stones, it was private but went over to the nhs following difficulties. Since then my band has been emptied, i was 18 stone when i had the band im now 21 stone!! as a single mum im desperate to get this weight gone. Went to see Mr James Halstead with The Hospital Group, and looking to have this done in June / July time. Atm its chaos because im with the NHS for band aftercare and am applying via individual funding request to see if the NHS can perform the operation. If all else fails, ive saved evey penny of my student finance which i was using for my MA social work, and im going to go private. It will cost £10,000 :eek: especially after paying £6000 originally. Looking for advice from any bandser to bypass, what was your experiences, im having the conversion in one opp. worried about the physical and pschological changes, what is the hardest thing to adjust to. Im at uni and have half hour for dinner! how can you incorporate the bypass eating requirements with uni/work life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou guys, very very scared i may die on the table. Im only 26 how did i get here :sigh:
Hi I had a very similar experience as you was banded in 2010 privately £6500 lost best part of five stone felt good that slowed down because my restriction became rubbish trouble was every time I had it filled I suffered more so with acid reflux my acid got so bad after a year and half I've now been lucky enough for the nhs to take me on after lots of tests it turned out I have a hernia sitting just above my band what's been causing me severe reflux throwing up three times a night pure acid !! So on the 22nd dec I had my band took out hernia repaired and a bypass done and I have to say I feel eternally grateful to the nhs!! Bypass eating is fine you will be fine!! Xx

i am a band to bypass revision case..
had private band and then found a fab NHS team that took me on.
my band had slipped slightly and caused massive damage to my liver via adhesions .. my stomach and liver spent 2 hours being separated prior to my bypass..
I had my band out via NHS in may last year after 10 years and a 9 stone loss..(I gained 7 back after my band was emptied in 2011..)
had my bypass 30th July last year and am 58lb down..

Was the best thing I ever did getting my band removed and the bypass instead.

It is sore and a real learning curve for the first few months post op.

Your life will just fall into place around it naturally bit by bit,, there are things that you can do ahead of time to make life easier.
The only thing I can say with certain is that every single persons experience of recovery is different..
Some are text book (me)
others are self harmed by trying to move their eating along too soon..
Some have a terrible time after their op and spend months feeling sick, tired and recovery is slow.
Some of us can resume a normal very small portion diet of most foods and others cant ..

I think what I am trying to say is that wondering how you will deal with a half hour lunch break at uni will probably become very irrelevant ..

You will adapt and learn to live with your WLS ..

Quick answer to that half hour thing would be to just have a protein shake till your pouch is ready for other food.

I can easily eat a small protein packed meal within 10 mins now (6 months post op)..

I hope your surgery funding is approved and you have a speedy recovery .. good luck x

m

thankyou guys for the support. Unfortunatly I found out today that the individual funding request will not be sent of, because there is a list of things the nhs want, including evidence of a loss in year 1 and 2. Even though they know I had it private. Its been a battle but my gp really believs I wont get it, and I believe her. So im going to discuss private with her as I initially planned, and what this entails with regards to nhs aftercare, by that I mean blood checks vitamins etc. Will the nhs help with that at least?? opp booked now :) excited although very very skint LOL

i am a band to bypass revision case.. had private band and then found a fab NHS team that took me on. my band had slipped slightly and caused massive damage to my liver via adhesions .. my stomach and liver spent 2 hours being separated prior to my bypass.. I had my band out via NHS in may last year after 10 years and a 9 stone loss..(I gained 7 back after my band was emptied in 2011..) had my bypass 30th July last year and am 58lb down.. Was the best thing I ever did getting my band removed and the bypass instead. It is sore and a real learning curve for the first few months post op. Your life will just fall into place around it naturally bit by bit,, there are things that you can do ahead of time to make life easier. The only thing I can say with certain is that every single persons experience of recovery is different.. Some are text book (me) others are self harmed by trying to move their eating along too soon.. Some have a terrible time after their op and spend months feeling sick, tired and recovery is slow. Some of us can resume a normal very small portion diet of most foods and others cant .. I think what I am trying to say is that wondering how you will deal with a half hour lunch break at uni will probably become very irrelevant .. You will adapt and learn to live with your WLS .. Quick answer to that half hour thing would be to just have a protein shake till your pouch is ready for other food. I can easily eat a small protein packed meal within 10 mins now (6 months post op).. I hope your surgery funding is approved and you have a speedy recovery .. good luck x m
just a quick question how did you know your band had slipped x

just a quick question how did you know your band had slipped x

I got bad reflux for a while ..

Then I are a meal of pasta with a friend and suffered the worst sudden stomach pain (like a childbirth contraction)..

It passed after about 10 mins and I just felt very off colour for next two days till I turned yellow and was taken into hospital with an acute liver infection..

Was later found the band had rubbed on my liver once it had slipped... I was actually lucky that the band surgeon had done a brill job stitching it in place so it couldn't slip fully..

My partner had a full slippage... He couldn't even swallow his own saliva and was an emergency removal within 24 hours and a transfer from our local hospital to st Mary's in paddington...

The same hospital that ended up doing my revision and have been fab ever since

Hi Becky just a thought did you not have a band record card showing your weight loss after your band in years one and two I showed mine to my nhs team from the private hospital group and got funding for a band repair.
Good luck anyway which ever route you take x

Hi Becky

How has your journey gone, did you get your bypass done. I had a private band 4 years ago. But now have restriction problems and can not exercise a lot as have arthritis in feet so have gained weight.

@Helen123, Becky hasn't been on the forum for over 18 months and this thread was from January 2015.

Why not start your own thread, there are lots of members who have had revisions still around x

Back