• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

funding - private band to nhs bypass?

fbscpa

I am currently under a consultant to get a barium swallow X-ray to investigate whether my band has slipped. I am having really bad acid reflux and still having problems with food getting stuck even though my band is empty.

My question is if the band has slipped and they have to remove it anyway is there any chance of me getting a bypass on the NHS? My BMI is still way over 40 (haven't weighed myself in so long as its depressing).

I'm at the heaviest I have ever been. Apart from a 3 year period where I lost weight on a VLCD I have been big all my life - even as a baby (I am now 30). If I could afford the revision surgery privately I wouldn't hesitate but I am still in debt from the first surgery.

It'll be down to your NHS area whether they'd fund a revision of a surgery done privately. You'd need to ask them.

So did you initially lose weight with your band and it's crept back on?

Not really. The band has never been right - I've been in and out for adjustments constantly. I lost 2 stone last summer but it was more despite the band rather than because of it. Now I can't even keep the healthy food down and/or I get awful pains when eating so its more of a deterrent than anything if that makes sense?

I've been reading about rather terrible flatulence problems with the bypass so I'm thinking maybe a sleeve would be more suitable. Plus that is actually what the surgeon suggested I had the first place, it was only money constraints why I had the band. Oh how I regret it :/

I'm 2 years post op now btw.

Last edited:
I have mini bypass from slipped band revision. Evidence suggests that conversion to sleeve in lots of cases makes acid reflux problems worse. I have no problems with flatulence, in fact the bypass lifestyle in comparison to life with a slipped band (completely sympathise with your reflux/not being able to eat healthy dense foods etc issues) is a dream.
I have no idea if the nhs would fund as I was private for both but I wish you luck xxx

Thanks Caroline - I just was reading an American site saying, well saying that flatulence after a band was so bad it offended people around them... maybe some over exaggeration was going on though!

.Hi
I had a band and had all the same probs with same surgeon surgeon strangely enough
The Nhs covered me for all the problems and a band reposition but they wouldn't fund a conversion as my bmi was just under 35 think they would have done at 40 but each area is diff I think
Mines still not right so I am paying private for a sleeve soon x

I've been reading about rather terrible flatulence problems with the bypass so I'm thinking maybe a sleeve would be more suitable. Plus that is actually what the surgeon suggested I had the first place, it was only money constraints why I had the band. Oh how I regret it :/ I'm 2 years post op now btw.

I've had the mini bypass and have no problems with flatulence now the first week is out of the way. It is bad for the first week but that's because they pump you full of gas.

The band has just been a pain in the you know what to be honest. Good to know there is a chance they might do the conversion since my BMI is still high. I guess its worth my asking the registrar on the next visit. Though having had the band done I think I'm going to have to learn to be a bit more patient with the speed of things happening on the NHS ;-)

Good luck with your sleeve!

.Hi
I had a band and had all the same probs with same surgeon surgeon strangely enough
The Nhs covered me for all the problems and a band reposition but they wouldn't fund a conversion as my bmi was just under 35 think they would have done at 40 but each area is diff I think
Mines still not right so I am paying private for a sleeve soon x

I am currently under a consultant to get a barium swallow X-ray to investigate whether my band has slipped. I am having really bad acid reflux and still having problems with food getting stuck even though my band is empty.

My question is if the band has slipped and they have to remove it anyway is there any chance of me getting a bypass on the NHS? My BMI is still way over 40 (haven't weighed myself in so long as its depressing).

I'm at the heaviest I have ever been. Apart from a 3 year period where I lost weight on a VLCD I have been big all my life - even as a baby (I am now 30). If I could afford the revision surgery privately I wouldn't hesitate but I am still in debt from the first surgery.
Hi I am in very similar situation now, may u ask the outcome of your situation?

My band was private, I had lots of issues including problems caused by NHS surgeries. They refused to do anything at all to resolve it, the bariatric department refused to even have me referred due to having the band private despite the problems caused by the NHS - I am currently in Belgium travelling home today having had a conversion to MGB (again funded privately!)

I am very surprised to hear of this, there are clear guidelines as to when revision surgery is funded:
Appendix 8
Guidance for Clinical
Commissioning Groups
(CCGs): Clinical
Guidance
: Revision
Surgery for Complex
Obesity

- I had my band removed last week as an emergency as it had slipped - I have been told if elective NHS will not cover revision but if as emergency can be considered. - Know the same requirement as a new referral need to be met, did you meet BMI requirements?

Back