• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banders - what 'sticks' on you?

Hi Sarah

No I wouldnt bother trying them. I could eat chips up until my last fill but even one chewed right up sticks now.

Bread, rice and pasta are best avoided because they can continue to swell in the pouch. I was advised never to eat them and I havent since pre op.

Im fine with scrambled egg though, I add a bit of milk to soften it a bit more x

Good idea as this will help people learn what to be extra careful of

We are all a bit different due to fill levels and just in general

I have quite a tight band so mine are
pasta (not worth it usually)
Chips (not really a problem I don't eat them now)
Omlettes and scrambled egg
Pancakes
Beef ( like steak not mince) depends actually slow cooker meats are all fine
Soft white bread
French stick
Toast (can't eat more than one slice and I have to be careful)
Rice
Noodles :(

Thanks ladies, I also was advised against rice, chips, pasta etc, and this band gives such good restriction that I'm not trying them.
I had a pancake and beef yesterday and they were both fine, I think it so interesting that we all have different reactions xx

Bread/rolls, rice,pasta,any form of egg,noodles,brocoli/greens beans,celery ( stringy kind of veggies) crisps,mushrooms,skin of tomatoes,some fruits I cant eat. But on the whole I dont miss any of the foods mentioned above anyway ;-) there are lots I didnt like all fish/sprouts/cheese's blah de blah I have liked since and they taste yummy xx

So far I am fine with rice and pasta - possibly because I have only 4ml in my band. I have struggled with meat and got stuck a couple of times with lamb. Mainly because I haven't chewed it enough. I am also finding I can't eat more than half a pita bread or one small slice of wholemeal bread. I haven't tried any other type of bread.

I unfortunately struggle with most fruit and veg - not good!!! Also bread i can only manage the nimble or ww variety and only one piece. Couldn't manage steak or dry chicken but seem to do fine on fish and minced beef/turkey etc. Only wish bloody crisps would stick they're by downfall!!

I'm a bit scared by this. I haven't had a fill yet, so I don't know what to expect. What does it feel like when food gets stuck? What do you do then? Does it make you sick? I'm a scaredypants!

Dont be scared BUT it is a very good deterrent to slow you down and make sure you chew, chew, chew!

When food does get stuck its not pleasent and something I have only experienced since my recent fill. Nothing got stuck before, although I havent bothered trying bread, rice or pasta and I dont eat meat.

It can make you sick but its usually just the mouthfull undigested :jelous:

Stick to the foods you are advised to eat and go steady and you will be fine x

It feels tight in your chest/bottom of your neck.
Like you have a heavy weight on you really, usually it won't take many times before you learn to feel it coming on and stop in time..
I usually stand up and sort of stretch my shoulders back to expand my chest area.
It will either slowly go down and feel a bit uncomfortable, or if you have gone a little too far, you will feel the urge to be sick and it will just come out.
It is a bit gross as usually you have a build up of clear mucus as well which comes out with the blocked food.
It is not the same as being sick in the conventional sense.
The food has not been in the stomach where the digestive juice is so it is not that awful smelling stuff.

Still it most definately is not nice and will be a great deterrent for overeating.

Best thing to do is chew extremely slowly , eat off small utensils and crockery and if in doubt , take even tinier bites and chew everything til it obliterates in your mouth first before swallowing.

wow i have so much to learn... i am a newbie. my op booked for april 27 in belguim

Back