• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banding does it work ?

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
I know its a stupid bloody question I just wanted to see what you though before after during
I am at teh beginning of my travel for thin ness
I was saying to my hubby last night what woudl happen if I had it done and I didnt lose a pound.
what would I say to people how woudl I feel, would it be me or the band that was wrong.
also is it a kop out, an easy way out of fatness, should diet be enough if I were to eat healthy ever day and go to the gym every day would I be thin ?
Is it WLS or being on a diet for the rest of my life.
Should I look at it that WLS is a diet or a way of eating what I like but less of it or should I be eating as if I am on a diet... it is soo confusing
can I deprive myself of my saturday night binge
I just dont want people to see it as the easy way out and thin people saying god I work hard to stay thin look at her she has done nothing.
I just dont feel priveledged enough to have it done I think, I am waiting for them to say after the 6 months it was a joke no you cant have it done.
xx
sorry Crazy rant over

I just dont feel priveledged enough to have it done

((hugs))
I know exactly how you feel when you say this. I feel just the same.

Rest assured that you have tried everything you can to lose weight the "normal" way, and (like me) you just cant do it. You are entitled to ask for this surgery if you meet the guidelines, just as much as the next person.

Both me and Hubby had the band fitted...believe me it is not a cop out! There are health risks to think over, but when you face having chest pains daily, I know what I would rather choose!
We had ours done privately...yes, bloomin expensive, but I have never doubted or regretted this for a moment.
I had tried every single diet known to man and even a few that I made up on the spur of the moment in sheer desperation, it just wasnt working for me.
I stick to the SW plan (within reason, as there are still some things that I cannot eat), and I am loosing weight steadily, where as Hubby decided to just eat when he was hungry (this involved anything that he fancied), he has lost nearly 5 stone by eating curry!!!...he certainly isnt depriving himself of the things that he used to eat before the operation!!!
Yes, you can cheat by eating things that dissolve easily, like crisps, chocolate and icecream and if eaten to excess, you can gain weight (classed as cheating the band).
Its not a crazy rant, there were mountains of questions running through my head, before my operation, but here I am nearly 4 stone lighter and actually beginning to enjoy me.
Email me if you want a chat at any time....

Kerry-Ann
xx

Thank you and well done to you and your hubby xxxx

:bliss::bliss:
I know its a stupid bloody question I just wanted to see what you though before after during
I am at teh beginning of my travel for thin ness
I was saying to my hubby last night what woudl happen if I had it done and I didnt lose a pound.
what would I say to people how woudl I feel, would it be me or the band that was wrong.
also is it a kop out, an easy way out of fatness, should diet be enough if I were to eat healthy ever day and go to the gym every day would I be thin ?
Is it WLS or being on a diet for the rest of my life.
Should I look at it that WLS is a diet or a way of eating what I like but less of it or should I be eating as if I am on a diet... it is soo confusing
can I deprive myself of my saturday night binge
I just dont want people to see it as the easy way out and thin people saying god I work hard to stay thin look at her she has done nothing.
I just dont feel priveledged enough to have it done I think, I am waiting for them to say after the 6 months it was a joke no you cant have it done.
xx
sorry Crazy rant over

Hey
it's not a crazy rant! I'm having a consultation on 19th for WLS and I don't plan on telling anyone a) because I'm not convinced it will work and b) cos I don't know how people will react/judge me c) even if the band works - have I got the will power to see it through??

I'm hoping that I will get lots of support from my hubby and from this wonderful forum.

And YES we DO DESERVE IT !!!!!!!!​

:bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss:

I agree with mrs v, having a band fitted is not a cop out, and if its something that you really want then it will work. I had mine fitted three weeks ago and already have lost just over a stone and a half, but you have to work with it and you have to be patient, which is hard at times. When i decided to have mine fitted my husband said that i could use our savings but i opted to take a loan out because i know now that i have to make it work because i am having to pay for it every month and i cannot afford for it not to work, this way it certainly makes me think every time i put food in my mouth. Hope this helps in making your decision. x

I do understand where you are coming from, though let me make this perfectly clear, taking the decision to undergo any form of WLS is in no way cheating, and will be the hardest decision you have ever had to make, for someone thats in love with eating making that decision to never be able to eat a full meal again isn't easy ! there however is life after WLS, but its not going to be the same.
I'd recommed to anyone thinking of following this route to seriously think about what they are doing, for me WLS was my last and final option ! if i could have managed to loose and maintain weight lose through other means i would have, and i suspect all the other post WLS people here would say the same.

There are lots of pro's and cons for both the band and the bypass, an educated google search will show you all the likely benefits and downfalls of each procedure - so i'm not going to bang on about how good one is against the other ! do your research and make your own educated choice.

After weighing up all the odds i chose the bypass, it gives me the greater felxability, less maintenance, less chance of failure and suits my eating style, plus i never want to be able to go back to the way i was, with a band i could have it removed or deflated at a later date allowing myself back into that old rut of gaining weight !

This all sounds a bit doom and gloom and i appologise for the way it sounds, if you ask me i made the decision to do this, and its the best decision i've ever made, yes some days are hard, but in general its been great, i'm 4 months post and already in sight of my overall goal weight, something i never dreamed i'd ever be.

Richard

I do understand where you are coming from, though let me make this perfectly clear, taking the decision to undergo any form of WLS is in no way cheating, and will be the hardest decision you have ever had to make, for someone thats in love with eating making that decision to never be able to eat a full meal again isn't easy ! there however is life after WLS, but its not going to be the same.
I'd recommed to anyone thinking of following this route to seriously think about what they are doing, for me WLS was my last and final option ! if i could have managed to loose and maintain weight lose through other means i would have, and i suspect all the other post WLS people here would say the same.

There are lots of pro's and cons for both the band and the bypass, an educated google search will show you all the likely benefits and downfalls of each procedure - so i'm not going to bang on about how good one is against the other ! do your research and make your own educated choice.

After weighing up all the odds i chose the bypass, it gives me the greater felxability, less maintenance, less chance of failure and suits my eating style, plus i never want to be able to go back to the way i was, with a band i could have it removed or deflated at a later date allowing myself back into that old rut of gaining weight !

This all sounds a bit doom and gloom and i appologise for the way it sounds, if you ask me i made the decision to do this, and its the best decision i've ever made, yes some days are hard, but in general its been great, i'm 4 months post and already in sight of my overall goal weight, something i never dreamed i'd ever be.

Richard

Hiya
I realise this argument could go on and on like the energizer bunny! but just to put the record straight - you can put weight back on with the bypass operation, just as you can with the band. If you watch the family fat surgeons, last week they had a bypass patient of theirs who had gained quite a bit of the weight that she had lost. She blamed it on the pouch stretching, or thought that the staple line had not held. After investigation and dye being run through her system, her pouch was fine and there was no compromise of the staple line. It appeared that she had fallen into old bad eating habbits and was eating larger and larger portions. She had to be re-educated about her eating and portion sizes! The bypass is by no means 100%, and although initially more successful in the weight loss people achieve, after 3-4 years the two options are virtually equal.
MNL:)

Thanks girls cant wait for teh 6 months to be over
x

Hiya
I realise this argument could go on and on like the energizer bunny! but just to put the record straight - you can put weight back on with the bypass operation, just as you can with the band. If you watch the family fat surgeons, last week they had a bypass patient of theirs who had gained quite a bit of the weight that she had lost. She blamed it on the pouch stretching, or thought that the staple line had not held. After investigation and dye being run through her system, her pouch was fine and there was no compromise of the staple line. It appeared that she had fallen into old bad eating habbits and was eating larger and larger portions. She had to be re-educated about her eating and portion sizes! The bypass is by no means 100%, and although initially more successful in the weight loss people achieve, after 3-4 years the two options are virtually equal.
MNL:)

Yes your correct, there are pro's and cons with each procedure and careful thought needs to go into which will suit the individual best, and its worth pointing out that any WLS is just a tool to aid you in losing the weight, both procedures can be cheated, and yes if your not being careful you can put weight back on. Anyone thinking of undergoing WLS should think about the way they eat and what types of food they are particually addicted to before making a decision.

Back