• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Being 'babysat' after op

Lincs Lass

Apologies if this is an odd question.

I am on the waiting list to have a bypass. I don't have any family nearby but some good friends have said they will take me to, pick me up from the hospital and also have my 14 year old son to stay while I'm in hospital.

They've also said that I can stay there after the op. I'm a bit of a homebird and like my own bed/company. How long after you get home do the hospitals usually recommend that you have someone else around?

Thank you

I would say you will be fine on your own if people are popping in. you will be mobile, but just very tired and shouldn't lift anything heavy.

I think it depends on how you are yourself but I think all of us needed help at least for a few days, personally I had DS and had 9 holes and was extremely sore could not of managed normal day to day things without help even making a brew was not possible lifting kettle etc x I would advise take any help offered you will be so tired and can always tell them to bugger off once you've had enough :)

Wow ladies, such quick responses!!

I shall have to make my 14 year old son earn his keep :-D

Definite food for thought. Thank you x

I was back to my normal routine the minute I stepped in the door from the hospital. It was okay and I didn't nap at all but things like standing for a while cooking or standing washing dishes was when pain set in so I took breaks. I did the school run right away too which was fine if I walked really really slow(otherwise ouch)

You're welcome :) I know we all like our own space and have our way of doing things but sometimes we have to accept help like it or not :)

I will be on my own post surgery so I hope that will be ok! I assume if I can they can get you walking around before discharging you I will be able to walk to the loo at home and walk to the tap to get a glass of water?! :)

I will be on my own post surgery so I hope that will be ok! I assume if I can they can get you walking around before discharging you I will be able to walk to the loo at home and walk to the tap to get a glass of water?! :)

You'll be walking around a few hours after your op. the more you can walk the better :)

I personally just felt a bit uncomfortable after my bypass,no real pain at all.
I was quite able to do most things,apart from lifting(as advised not too)and got tired very easy.

I was out of hospital 2 days after my op & I went out shopping the day after as I had a touch of cabin fever... lol! The only thing I couldn't do was drive for 3 weeks (surgeons instructions) so my mum insisted I went to stay with her for a couple of weeks... I went but it was more to placate her than me needing it... plus I had my op in the summer so spent my recuperation in her garden :) I was a bit achey but after coming off the morphine pump (it was amazing!!! lol) in hospital I didn't need any painkillers plus they encourage you to get up & move around as soon as poss :) x

I'm a 9 days post op and am now able to do almost everything but heavy lifting and driving. I'm now longing to reclaim my kitchen / house / life generally back from my wonderfully handy helper. Good luck. It's crap for a few days, more because of feeling sick than real pain but it gets easier day by day. x

Hiya, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread a little, but all the heavy lifting... How long is that for? I have a 1 year old and am worried about this?? Xx

It's funny. I didn't get told not to drive or avoid heavy lifting. In fact my surgeon said I could go back to work after 3-5 days (which I did do on Friday). Will be travelling into London next week and carrying a fairly heavy rucksack- can't avoid it. To be fair, I have felt pretty good and came home from my friend's house on Wednesday because I didn't think I needed to be looked after any more, so if there are no complications I think those living alone (like me) probably only need a day or two of support.

Looks like it depends on your surgeon, mine told me no driving for 3 weeks (dvla states that its when your safely able to execute an emergency stop, seat belts & abdominal surgery don't mix!). My surgeon also told me I should take 4 weeks off work which meant I had to have an ohs referral so I didn't get in trouble for having too much sick leave!
Think in reality it's a case of listening to your body & letting it tell you when you can do things!

O god, well there is no way I can't not pick my son up for 6 weeks!!! Suppose ill just have to cope :s x

Thank you all so much.

Kelly, may be worth having a chat with your team as I'm sure they will have had to advise people before on techniques.

It occurred to me today that as I'm self employed - computer work from home - I'll need to come home pretty soon, but pampering for a day or two sounds good! X

I know I'm there on wed so ill have to do that!!

Thanks for letting me hijack!! :) good luck!! Xx

Hijack away, I'm terrible at that - sorry all :D

Good luck tomorrow x

Back