• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Blooming Carbs - Nobody told me they play hide n seek!

Really!
Lettuce has carbs?
I have that all of the time, it must be a 'healthy carb?' xxx

I gonna put a spanner in the works!

I was told off by my dietitian at both my 3 month and 6 month checkup for concentrating on proteins and not having enough carb. Can you believe that?

I suspect that may be due to most obvious carb foods have a lower GI than foods heavy in protein - I think. Please put me right if I'm wrong. We do need some carbs, obviously not a slice of choc cake every day, but don't cut them out completely. It's all about balance.

There is a very good food book, the name of which escapes me - I'm at work at the mo'. I will find it this evening and let you know the details.

xx

Thanks John... I am really interested since I will always need to consider the need for carbs.... being type 1 diabetic.
Kindest regards xxx

Eggs, ham, tuna, tinned salmon, egg mayonaise with a nice salad - you can have tomatoes as although they have carbs you can still have a couple of baby ones, cooked chicken (cook it whilst you are cooking dinner and then put in the fridge for the next day), There are also these things I have noticed in the supermarket called fridge raiders by Mattessons, low carb high protein low fat - very handy for a quick lunch

I've been struggling with work lunches too. In the last 3 weeks I've had Ryvita with Babybel light, low-fat soft cheese or ham, Philadelphia Splendips, Fridge Raiders, chicken tortilla wrap, baby tomatoes, fruit, prawn salad, baby scotch eggs, yoghurt. I've started having nuts as a high protein snack item occasionally... my hospital diet sheet said I could do this, but I'm worried now about the carb content ?!

I'm now addicted to reading food labels but getting horribly frustrated... it seems to be nigh impossible to find food that is low in fat, sugar AND carbs ! There always seems to be a compromise and I'm never sure which to compromise on...:sigh: :confused:

Thanks John - that would be really helpful. I'm really struggling with this.

Yes we do need carbs, the complex kind found in some fruits and veg and whole grains. If it is white it is most likely a simple carb and can be completely avoided. However no food group should ever be completely ignored so don't count the carbs in your lettuce which is composed of dietary fibre which is a carb but not the sugar kind. Just skip the white rice (use bown), white potatoes (use sweet pots), white bread (use wholegrain), white flour (use spelt, soy or almond flour instead) and any processed sugar. Things that are milk based will have a slightly higher carb count due to lactose (milk sugars) but these are the good kind of sugars and can and shoud be consumed. Things that have fruit in them will have higher carb count due to fructose (fruit sugar), this is okay to eat also but just check that regular sugar is not listed in the first 5 ingredients as that means the carbs are mostly sucrose not fructose.

Carbs are tricky and the higher your intake, the more you crave them so they are very addictive. Plus, let us be honest, they are super yummy. The trick is to allow a sensible amount in and try to pick the best complex kinds whenever possible. But remember, they don't have kooties, you can still enjoy them, just practice moderation and watch out for the craving cycle and pull back on them if you start to crave them.

Hope that was helpful and not boring, lol.:D
Nic

Really helpful ! Many thanks Nic

Exactly. See thats why we need Nic, she says things better than I do ;)

Thank you Nic

Nic, what an easy to follow explanation and it is sounding so much clearer after reading your post.

It's really what we already know about being sensible as well by the looks of things... brown rice not white etc etc...

I am getting hooked on quinoa with my salad...

The quinoa on it's own is quite bland... although I make my own soups and it's fine in those....

Quinoa when cooked with a little chopped pineapple and celery, plus marigold bouillion (vegetarian stock)... absolutely delicious... and instead of meat... I have a hearty, healthy salad and it's filling ~ so sorry for digressing... but quinoa is called the food of the 21st century... good for me as a diabetic...

I need to check out the carb ratio... but wish I had found it years ago... bland without the marigold bouillion but I'm going to be using it a lot more.

Quinoa - Review - Eat it? Yes, even if you can't spell or pronounce it!

and

http://www.wowyouarereallylucky.com/food-choices/health-benefits-of-the-grain-quinoa.htm

Hope this may be of some interest to someone out there...

xxx

John? I'd be greatful for the name/author of the cookbook :)

Nic/Shel thank you so much. I just never knew carbs could hide everywhere! I try not to choose obvious carbs but it's hard to avoid the unobvious....

And here was me thinking i'd just need to make good choices that were staring me in the face :)

Thanks so much to everyone for their input....

Bev? What aisle will i find the quinoa in? x

Either with the barley/cous-cous/pasta, or in the world foods section if they have one. I use it a lot in Charlies foods, and also instead of pasta when my neighbour is over as she is coeliac.

Quinoa...

Asda have it with the pulses, rice shelf etc ...

So healthy, but bitter if not flavoured... so I don't ever have it alone... lovely with pineapple and celery... don't forget the marigold boullion also from Asda to flavour it.... xxx

I think i'll make some chunky veg soup and pop it in there :) x

It's great for soups... my favourite is tomato soup with Quinoa... so healthy... wish I'd known of it years ago...

Good luck Julie and you are a true inspiration!
xxx

John? I'd be greatful for the name/author of the cookbook :)

Julie, It's isn't a cook book but a reference book showing KCal & Fat per portion/pack and for each 100g KCal. Protein, Carb, Fat & Fibre.
It is "The Calorie, Carb and Fat Bible 2009" by Juliette Kellow, Lyndel Costain and Rebecca Walton. There must be a 2010 edition and probably soon a 2011 one too. Price shown as £12.99. It has the above details for 22,000 foods including all the major manufacturers including supermarket own brands including things like Starbucks, Pret a Manger etc.

I found it invaluable when I was on my pre-pre-op as well as my pre-op.

Another usefull book is the Colins Gem Carb Counter. No attributed author. It has lots and lots of generic items listed showing: Carb, Fibre, Net Carb, Kcal, Protein and Fat. It is a nice little book - 12cm * 8cm * 1cm and would fit nicely in a handbag and costs only £3.99.

HTH xx

Haha... Jacqui! xx

Back