• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bmi question

slimmerwithin

I have just Been to the doctors this evening saw the doc who is going to refer me for gastric band surgery. However I am a little worried as my BMIis 40.8 and I have been slowly losing weight. What I would like to know is if I lose weight before my referral appointment with the clinic and when I arrive at the clinic my BMI I is less than 40 Will they still consider me for surgery? Also how long do you have to wait for an appointment after Dr referral. I don't want to stop dieting so I would like to continue. What if this puts me at risk of not being within the guidelines I might stop dieting until my appointment. Can anyone help please.

Yes, don't lose anyone weight until you've been to the hospital. You can focus on maintaining.

Hi, it's a bit difficult to answer you as you are in France and I'm in the UK and I don't have enough experience of the French health system to advise. Also, you don't say if you are funding this privately or if the French health system is supporting you.

Generally though, and not taking funding issues into consideration, if your bmi is 40 or greater than surgeons will consider you for wls. Or, if your bmi is 35 or higher and you have weight related illnesses (e.g. high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea) then they will also consider you.

They will consider you as long as your bmi is over 40 at your initial appointment. You are expected to lose weight before the surgery, when your bmi drops they will still consider surgery as they only use your starting bmi.

Back