• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2017 Sheffield: My timeline...Gastric Bypass/ Sleeve

ZimBritchick

1st referral refused Between 2004-7
2nd referral refused January 2015: Referred to a weight loss program(3 months)
3rd referral refused on 20th April 2015: New guidelines needed to join WhyWeight 12 sessions and after these sessions I would then be referred. Not by GP but by the Weight Management Practitioner.
After 12 sessions told I will only be referred after a year as my BMI wasn't too high. Trust me a year goes by quick.

New guidelines are introduced: You have to weigh the same weight you were a year ago...Heart sinks...I ask to still be referred fingers crossed :(

4th referral: 24th May 2017 (Could this be it?)
Seminar Date: 15th June 2017 ( Said Yes to surgery)
Appointment with Dr Patel Consultant Surgeon: 28th June 2017...

Last edited:
I've just been referred by my doctor so I take it just because your doctor says you are eligable and they refere you doesn't mean you will get surgery sorry I'm realy new to this and have only got as far as a doctors referral don't know how it all works I am aware I have to do a group meeting and talk to dietician etc she told me that

Wow, you've waited a long time! Is your surgeon Ameet Patel, or a different Patel? Not sure if he also does surgeries in Sheffield (I had mine at King's College in London)?

Wow, you've waited a long time! Is your surgeon Ameet Patel, or a different Patel? Not sure if he also does surgeries in Sheffield (I had mine at King's College in London)?

Hi TialLi I know right?..I believe however that comfort comes after struggle. I will cherish and appreciate this more than if it had just been handed to me on a platter. Appointment is with Mr K.A.Patel Kaphah but just known as Dr Patel.

Ah, googled him, and it appears to be a different surgeon than mine - nevermind! I'm sure he is just as good! I had a fairly long wait as well, it took 3.5 years from referral to actual surgery, due to some mistakes and extra hoops along the way. Obviously that wait kind of pales in comparison to yours, but I understand how draining it can be.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you will get a date soon! x

Ah, googled him, and it appears to be a different surgeon than mine - nevermind! I'm sure he is just as good! I had a fairly long wait as well, it took 3.5 years from referral to actual surgery, due to some mistakes and extra hoops along the way. Obviously that wait kind of pales in comparison to yours, but I understand how draining it can be.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you will get a date soon! x

I was going to write fingers crossed for both of us but noticed you had yours done in March. Congratulations on having your surgery. How is it?, the change in your diet and losing the weight. It is a long wait but you know what, I am ok with it. I am glad this time around I didn't give up and I just soldiered on.

I was going to write fingers crossed for both of us but noticed you had yours done in March. Congratulations on having your surgery. How is it?, the change in your diet and losing the weight. It is a long wait but you know what, I am ok with it. I am glad this time around I didn't give up and I just soldiered on.

Yes, I had mine in mid-March, so I'm just over 3 months out. I had a bit of a bumpy ride in the beginning and ended up back in hospital after 8 weeks with dehydration and severe vitamin deficiencies. So the first two months were pretty dreadful, and I was scared I'd never feel human again. Had massive food aversions, difficulties with drinking, severe nausea, constant dry heaving etc. All my problems disappeared after they fixed me up during my second stint in hospital though, so now I feel fine!

The diet hasn't really been that difficult to adapt to, I must say. I get the occasional head hunger and craving for bad stuff, but it is not often at all. I find my tastes have changed post surgery as well, so these days I much prefer cold meals like salads over savoury carbs, and I crave things like fruit, berries and nuts over crisps. Having said that, I know I am in the "honeymoon phase", and that it will get more and more difficult the further out I get. I think the most difficult thing to adapt to for me so far has been to not drink with meals.

I've lost 33kgs since the day of surgery (5stone 3lbs).

Yes, I had mine in mid-March, so I'm just over 3 months out. I had a bit of a bumpy ride in the beginning and ended up back in hospital after 8 weeks with dehydration and severe vitamin deficiencies. So the first two months were pretty dreadful, and I was scared I'd never feel human again. Had massive food aversions, difficulties with drinking, severe nausea, constant dry heaving etc. All my problems disappeared after they fixed me up during my second stint in hospital though, so now I feel fine!

The diet hasn't really been that difficult to adapt to, I must say. I get the occasional head hunger and craving for bad stuff, but it is not often at all. I find my tastes have changed post surgery as well, so these days I much prefer cold meals like salads over savoury carbs, and I crave things like fruit, berries and nuts over crisps. Having said that, I know I am in the "honeymoon phase", and that it will get more and more difficult the further out I get. I think the most difficult thing to adapt to for me so far has been to not drink with meals.

I've lost 33kgs since the day of surgery (5stone 3lbs).

Oh my you have been through it haven't you..I am glad you ok now. So are you on the b12 injections and drinking regularly. It must have been such a shock to your body. You have done really well my friend. Well done you!!,,,:0clapper:, I hear some things change. Like your cravings and all. My friend had surgery more or less the same time as you and he has lost the same as you so you are definitely on track. How is your support system?, did you tell anyone at work???..I have been on this forum addictively, youtube, Instagram seeing peoples journeys and talking to family and a couple of friends. So I am on information overload at the moment.:)

I've just been referred by my doctor so I take it just because your doctor says you are eligable and they refere you doesn't mean you will get surgery sorry I'm realy new to this and have only got as far as a doctors referral don't know how it all works I am aware I have to do a group meeting and talk to dietician etc she told me that

Hi Sugar, sorry I missed your response. Everyone's journey is different. You will be surprised that your referral will go through without a hitch and you get called for the seminar. Where are you based?.. Fingers crossed that you get yours accepted.

I had to go through Tier 3 for me to be finally accepted. I think they first wanted to see my commitment, be taught about what mindful eating was and so on.

Have you been through that stage as yet?... Do keep in touch and let us know what the outcome is. In regards to my first referrals I was bordering on obese but didn't suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes and other problems so basically it seemed I wasn't the right fit, then on other referrals,I wasn't referred to the right program and due to this I was declined. So this time around there has been signs of health problems, my weight has ballooned, failed trials of losing weight and I did the Tier 3.

Oh my you have been through it haven't you..I am glad you ok now. So are you on the b12 injections and drinking regularly. It must have been such a shock to your body. You have done really well my friend. Well done you!!,,,:0clapper:, I hear some things change. Like your cravings and all. My friend had surgery more or less the same time as you and he has lost the same as you so you are definitely on track. How is your support system?, did you tell anyone at work???..I have been on this forum addictively, youtube, Instagram seeing peoples journeys and talking to family and a couple of friends. So I am on information overload at the moment.:)
I get B12 injections every 3 months, and like all bypassers I'm also on a daily vitamin regiment for life. How much you loose and how quickly will depend on your start weight and individual circumstances, so I try not to compare weight losses with others. Only two people know I have had the surgery, I'm a rather private person so I've mostly kept it to myself for various reasons. I have my own business so I never had the problem of what to tell my boss, luckily!

Last edited:
Hi Sugar, sorry I missed your response. Everyone's journey is different. You will be surprised that your referral will go through without a hitch and you get called for the seminar. Where are you based?.. Fingers crossed that you get yours accepted.

I had to go through Tier 3 for me to be finally accepted. I think they first wanted to see my commitment, be taught about what mindful eating was and so on.

Have you been through that stage as yet?... Do keep in touch and let us know what the outcome is. In regards to my first referrals I was bordering on obese but didn't suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes and other problems so basically it seemed I wasn't the right fit, then on other referrals,I wasn't referred to the right program and due to this I was declined. So this time around there has been signs of health problems, my weight has ballooned, failed trials of losing weight and I did the Tier 3.
Thank you I have my first appointment date now its 11th Sep it says I will be asked to do tier 3 but doesn't say how long I have to do that for or the ins and outs of what it is , I don't have health issues at present either just bmi to high just hope after this tier 3 thing I can be allowed to have surgery as long term

Thank you I have my first appointment date now its 11th Sep it says I will be asked to do tier 3 but doesn't say how long I have to do that for or the ins and outs of what it is , I don't have health issues at present either just bmi to high just hope after this tier 3 thing I can be allowed to have surgery as long term

Hi Sugar, at least you weren't refused so they do accept that having the surgery will be beneficial to you. Not knowing what your BMI iS, Tier 3 is either for 6mths or 12mths. If you have a BMI of 35-50kg/m2 you will attend 12 sessions and only be referred after 12 months and anything over 50kg/m2 will be 12 sessions and referral will be after 6 months.

Please also see below..
  • A Body Mass Index (BMI) of greater than 35kg/m2 with obesity-related conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnoea or arthritis, which could be improved by weight loss
  • A BMI of greater than 40kg/m2 with or without obesity-related conditions
  • There must be evidence of previous attempts at weight loss
Hope the above helps..

Hi Sugar, at least you weren't refused so they do accept that having the surgery will be beneficial to you. Not knowing what your BMI iS, Tier 3 is either for 6mths or 12mths. If you have a BMI of 35-50kg/m2 you will attend 12 sessions and only be referred after 12 months and anything over 50kg/m2 will be 12 sessions and referral will be after 6 months.

Please also see below..
  • A Body Mass Index (BMI) of greater than 35kg/m2 with obesity-related conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnoea or arthritis, which could be improved by weight loss
  • A BMI of greater than 40kg/m2 with or without obesity-related conditions
  • There must be evidence of previous attempts at weight loss
Hope the above helps..
Hi thank you I actualy not sure what my bmi is I didn't ask when doctor weighed me it was in its 40 s last time I new

Hi it's 45 doctor said today so will tier 3 be 6/12,mths do you know

Hi Suger, most likely referral will be after 12 months. This is the case for the Tier 3 in Sheffield. Try and read on your area. Most of my information I get it from Sheffield Teaching Hospital site under Bariatric Surgery Service.

1st referral refused Between 2004-7
2nd referral refused January 2015: Referred to a weight loss program(3 months)
3rd referral refused on 20th April 2015: New guidelines needed to join WhyWeight 12 sessions and after these sessions I would then be referred. Not by GP but by the Weight Management Practitioner.
After 12 sessions told I will only be referred after a year as my BMI wasn't too high. Trust me a year goes by quick.

New guidelines are introduced: You have to weigh the same weight you were a year ago...Heart sinks...I ask to still be referred fingers crossed :(

4th referral: 24th May 2017 (Could this be it?)
Seminar Date: 15th June 2017 ( Said Yes to surgery)
Appointment with Dr Patel Consultant Surgeon: 28th June 2017... ***Dr Patel advised me a likelihood I won't get surgery due to previous wrap plication surgery*** Gave up hope but went still went for a Barium Swallow to see if they can do the surgery. Barium sulfate is a metallic compound that shows up on X-rays and is used to help see abnormalities in the esophagus and stomach.
Gastroenterology appointment 27/09/2017 Got a letter saying they wanted to see me. Dr Ackroyd has now approved the surgery but for Gastric Sleeve instead of Bypass.
Pre-op Assessment 03/11/2017
Call from Bariatric Nurse 26/10/2017 Aam I ok for Surgery 06/11
Pre-op Assessment changed to 31/10
Pre-op Diet started 28/10
Surgery: Dr Ackroyd, Gastric Sleeve.

Back