• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bread

Grace

something Neen mentioned on another thread had just struck a chord with me. I have IBS as well as diverticulitis. But I've noticed my symptoms are pretty much non-existent at the minute...and I wonder if its down to not eating wheat?

I haven't really had bread yet post-op. I keep craving it, yet the odd time I've tried a bit of toast (like today) one bite and I just 'know' its not going to agree and I abandon it. Should I just give up bread? It's hard to imagine, it's been such a staple part of my diet for so long.

Has anyone else given up bread post op?

I've been fine with pasta, but then I hardly ever eat it and now in such tiny quantities!

Wheat is a big problem for a lot of IBS sufferers I think...I have oaty /seedy bread now and then and it's a lot better.
I rarely eat pasta as that clogs me up anyway and makes me sick.
I love soya and linseed bread as well.
Don't like rye though, it's like trying to bite into an old doormat (and about the same flavour I expect!!!!)

Charis, I'm sorry to hear you have IBS, I've been thinking I might have it for a while now. But I don't know if it's strange to have started at my age 58, usually when you are younger isn't it? My main symptoms are discomfort lower left sige of my tummy and sometimes I get heartburn too. I do have weetabix everyday as well and now I'm wondering if this could be exacerbating it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear.

My IBS symptoms are v=basically it feels like coming down with a tummy bug Beth. Very gripey tum and then run to loo urgently. It can come as a complete surprise and is very unpleasant.

I find eating lots of fresh fruit helps it stay away.

Neen, pre-op seeded bread was my favourite, and didn't upset me the same. I may try some to see if it helps.

Charis, I'm sorry to hear you have IBS, I've been thinking I might have it for a while now. But I don't know if it's strange to have started at my age 58, usually when you are younger isn't it? My main symptoms are discomfort lower left sige of my tummy and sometimes I get heartburn too. I do have weetabix everyday as well and now I'm wondering if this could be exacerbating it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear.

I started with IBS in my late 20s. It's definitely stress related: always worse when I'm up against it. Why not cut out the weetabix for a while to see if that helps? Maybe replace with bran flakes? I find fibre helpful as long as I don't have too much.

I changed to oats from weetabix and much better,too much wholemeal gives me the trots so alternate with white.

Funnily enough, I was just saying yesterday to my friend at work that I've not suffered with my IBS since my op, she also suffers very badly with it. I even had it whilst on the milk diet.

Funnily enough, I was just saying yesterday to my friend at work that I've not suffered with my IBS since my op, she also suffers very badly with it. I even had it whilst on the milk diet.

Is it no bread do you think? Have you had bread since op? I had it on the milk diet, (IBS) but then, I think I was going a bit lactose intolerant.

hi charis,

i was frightened of trying bread,but my 3 year old eats MILK ROLL so I tryed it and its lovely,I can only manage 1 piece.
But they dont have a crust as such and its very thin and soft..x

Another Ibs sufferer here and I noticed while on Taking year who that it was non existent on a wheat free diet. I have Danish bread now and I'm fine with it xx

I dont have IBS but I have given up bread totally since my op...tbh I have enough trouble losing weight now lol.......and breads always made me bloated im my tummy

Back