• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What a relief !! But a plea for help...

RoseA

After a week of constipation, increasing discomfort and distress, I'm pleased to say there's been some movement this morning ! It's such a relief - literally ! It's not over yet but I'm a lot more comfortable. The only thing that worries me is that I've gone off food completely this last week. I'm drinking fluids, but other than that, yesterday all I had was a bowl of cold soup and half a yoghurt (plus a protein shake for breakfast). I think I have been, and still am frightened of adding any further discomfort.

But I also feel like I've lost my way in this mushy stage - I was so looking forward to finally coming off the liquids and being able to eat some real food, albeit pureed or blended, but in reality I've just not found it inspiring. I've bought things thinking I could do something with them and eventually thrown them away. I don't have to cook for hubby as he caters for himself (he's always done most of the cooking anyway). I've lost interest in preparing food for myself. I can't say I've really enjoyed anything much - more often than not the anticipation is better than the actual thing and I don't end up enjoying what I eat. I've been good and not touched any rice, pasta, bread although I do have potato. Blending perfectly good vegetables seems anathema to me, the thought of blending meat disgusts me, so I try and find naturally soft food - but it's not easy finding stuff I can eat that I want to eat !

I've got another 2 weeks before I'm supposed to start the transition to solid food... please tell me it gets better ? And please, please, can anyone help me get through this stage ?? :cry::cry:

Last edited:
I actually found the mushy stage to be worse than the liquids! I just started eating normal food that I could chew down to almost nothing before swallowing and as you know, never had any problems with it. I always chew everything down to mush anyway but since that horrible day of chronic nausea over the fish pie I can't bare to look at mashed potato or fish in a white sauce. I've has some salmon since (the pie had cod, salmon & smoked haddock in it) and was okish with a small amount.

Anyway, back to your question... what's the difference between blending food with a processor or in your mouth with your teeth ;)

I was going to say the same thing! I just cooked the veg 5 minutes longer than I would have normally so it was a bit softer.

Also had mince, vegetable curries, chilli etc

To be honest, I got stuck on this stage, I eat a lot of slider foods!

As for the constipation, at 10 months on I STILL get this. I eat a lot of curries and vegetables, this helps. Drink LOTS of water, eat stewed rhubarb (it's soft too!), try glycerin suppositories if you can...

My unofficial tips which probably wouldn't be recommended - sitting on hard wooden seated chairs, always makes me want a poo! And sugar free red bull.. it gets the system moving.

Good luck

Rx

I feel ya pain hun, I had awful constipation, I recommend DULCOEASE, They are not laxatives, they just soften your stool, and make them easier to pass. you can get them off the shelf in any chemist. ;)

I feel ya pain hun, I had awful constipation, I recommend DULCOEASE, They are not laxatives, they just soften your stool, and make them easier to pass. you can get them off the shelf in any chemist. ;)

Thanks Kim - I did wonder about getting some but wasn't sure it was OK !

I actually found the mushy stage to be worse than the liquids! I just started eating normal food that I could chew down to almost nothing before swallowing and as you know, never had any problems with it. I always chew everything down to mush anyway but since that horrible day of chronic nausea over the fish pie I can't bare to look at mashed potato or fish in a white sauce. I've has some salmon since (the pie had cod, salmon & smoked haddock in it) and was okish with a small amount.

Anyway, back to your question... what's the difference between blending food with a processor or in your mouth with your teeth ;)

Thanks Twiggie - so glad it's not just me !

I was going to say the same thing! I just cooked the veg 5 minutes longer than I would have normally so it was a bit softer.

Also had mince, vegetable curries, chilli etc

To be honest, I got stuck on this stage, I eat a lot of slider foods!

As for the constipation, at 10 months on I STILL get this. I eat a lot of curries and vegetables, this helps. Drink LOTS of water, eat stewed rhubarb (it's soft too!), try glycerin suppositories if you can...

My unofficial tips which probably wouldn't be recommended - sitting on hard wooden seated chairs, always makes me want a poo! And sugar free red bull.. it gets the system moving.

Good luck

Rx

Thanks Rose - that's very reassuring ! It really sounds like I'm trying to be far too conservative in my food choices. I wasn't given much guidance and the diet sheet I've been given just stresses everything has to be pureed or blended. I could really fancy a chilli right now !

I think that you would be fine with soft foods like chilli etc Rose. Our team go straight to puree and only for 2 weeks. Me, I hated the manky looking stuff I existed on rich tea biscuits (also allowed) for a long while as the purees turned me off food completely. I had chilli quite early on, not to spicy to start and more sauce than usual and it was brilliant.

Hope you find something you like

M

I've been warned about not having things too spicy and could irratate (?) your poor tum and its healing, just a word of warning

I'm not the one to advise re food as i lasted a little over a week on liquids and went onto bits of food...

With the constipation can i suggest a 50/50 glass of fruit juicy/water in the mornings? It seems to work for me...

I'm not the one to advise re food as i lasted a little over a week on liquids and went onto bits of food...

With the constipation can i suggest a 50/50 glass of fruit juicy/water in the mornings? It seems to work for me...

Thanks Julie - worth a try !

I found the good thing about having (mild) chillis, well cooked bolognaise curry savoury mince etc was that I was having the same as everyone else. I would make a batch and we could all sit down and eat together, I just wouldn't have the pasta/rice/potato etc. Made me still feel normal.

Rx

I found the good thing about having (mild) chillis, well cooked bolognaise curry savoury mince etc was that I was having the same as everyone else. I would make a batch and we could all sit down and eat together, I just wouldn't have the pasta/rice/potato etc. Made me still feel normal.

Rx

We're having bolognaise tonight ! :D I might even sneak a teeny tiny bit of spaghetti...

Hi Rose this was defo my worst stage! I lived on smash! I only did this stage for 3 weeks but when i moved onto solids i really struggled with mince and fish so be careful!

Hi Rose this was defo my worst stage! I lived on smash! I only did this stage for 3 weeks but when i moved onto solids i really struggled with mince and fish so be careful!

Well, I enjoyed some bolognaise tonight but didn't have any spaghetti. I even had a few sips of red wine ! So far no problems... :)

Rose you little devil! Sips of red wine, whatever next?! Hahaha x

Glad you enjoyed your dinner!

Back