• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is a 'Week' long enough to shrink the liver?

Sunshine99

Also, which do you think is the best plan....that will get faster results.

I'm really panicking now, As not had a good day today.
And, op on the 18th. Was on the 4th but got cancelled....due to surgeon running out of time. I'd followed it 100% before....4 SlimFast bars a day....and herbal teas.
But, struggling to get started again now.
My consultant did say I'd only have to do it for a week this time.
But, I've had a blow out on fish and chip, with bread a couple of times since my op got cancelled. I wouldn't mind....that stuff doesn't normally bother me.....its the confectionary stuff that's my down fall as a rule.
I have eaten a lot of bread, gone through a full loaf in 2 days....And, now I'm in agony with IBS symptoms.

I'm just panicking incase they have to close me back up again.
And, doubting myself. So annoyed ....as on day of surgery I was so excited and calm about having it done.

I may have screwed it up. May see if I can cancel til a later date.

Toni :doh:

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
If you only have to do it for a week then you'll be fine.

It's awful when they cancel, mine was rescheduled three times and each time it got harder to get back on it - but needs must.

Which plan were you told to do, you should really follow that but each hospital seems to be different. Mine was just milk and yoghurt x

Sunshine99

@Mazza , Thanks

I have 3 option for the LSD
  • Plain milk & Yoghurt (Yuk)
  • SlimFast, Shakes/bars/juices only
  • Low calorie food diet, under 1000 cals , from selected food groups. No carbs though.
I went with the SlimFast bars before. As , I found them very filling. (Very sweet)

Re-scheduled 3 times! Oh, how awful.

I honestly wish I'd never come off the LSD....I wouldn't have done....had I known how close my next date was going to be.
This time....I'm taking a SlimFast bar with me....just incase it gets cancelled again!

I was just wondering which plan would shrink liver best.
I suppose I feel I've gone for the worst option really.
But, dietition at the time ( Before before my first date) said doesn't really matter which I go for.
But, wondered if anyone else has done the SlimFast plan.

Toni :rainbow:

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
No problem @Sunshine99 and I did the SlimFast (shakes only though) prior to my band op, for a week and it worked. My liver was fine.

The milk and yoghurt diet is so hard to start with but after day three, its a breeze.

The trick to shrinking your liver is to deplete the glycogen stored in it, any reduced carb/restricted calorie diet will help do that. My team will only let patients do the milk and yoghurt diet as they know it works and some patients struggle to comply with alternatives. To be honest your better going with the version that suits you best. Your much more likely to stick to it too.

I know what you mean about coming off the diet but its done now, so time to get back on it and get that liver operation ready :D

Sunshine99

No problem @Sunshine99 and I did the SlimFast (shakes only though) prior to my band op, for a week and it worked. My liver was fine.

The milk and yoghurt diet is so hard to start with but after day three, its a breeze.

The trick to shrinking your liver is to deplete the glycogen stored in it, any reduced carb/restricted calorie diet will help do that. My team will only let patients do the milk and yoghurt diet as they know it works and some patients struggle to comply with alternatives. To be honest your better going with the version that suits you best. Your much more likely to stick to it too.

I know what you mean about coming off the diet but its done now, so time to get back on it and get that liver operation ready :D
I'm sick of the sweet taste in my mouth....And, had 4 of them bars in one go today! So going to try the milk and yogurt diet....Just because I want to eliminate the sweet taste in my mouth.
SlimFast may be the easy option for me, But, want to stop the sugar cravings! (Even though it not sugar in them bars...but a sugar alternative...its still addictive for me)
Not got the milk and yogurt in...but will go get some in morning.

Thanks @Mazza

Sunshine99

20170909_200540.jpg
20170909_200354.jpg
Do you think these yoghurts will be ok? Tried to find 'diet' yoghurts in my Local Sainsbury's ... But couldn't, all 'low fat' or 'light' .

Toni :rainbow:

Sunshine99

58 cals per pot? No fat or added sugar too, I'm sure they'll be fine :D
Right ....Milk and Yoghurt in....And, ready to go in morning!
Thanks for your help. x

FeeBee

Someone posted here about only getting 3 or 4 days notice and just doing the LRD for that length of time a whole ago and they were fine. As long as you stick to your plan and the hospital sticks to their part of the deal it'll be fine :)

Hannah2

Keep reminding yourself why you are doing the diet - for your safety in surgery!!!!!!

Put notes around the house or pictures of you at your heaviest to keep you on track.... lists of why you want wls and what your aims are afterwards. Anything that might help you stay on track if you feel weak and are heading to eat something else. Post on here or go to bed if you are struggling.

You CAN do this - I was dreading it but with the help of people on here I got through it - it's the start of the new you!!!