• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Britain's Fattest Teenager

BUGS BUNNY

THE girl dubbed Britain's Fattest Teenager wants £23,000 from the NHS to get down to 12st

Georgia Davis, 16 - who dropped from 33st to 18.4st - plans to return to a US fitness camp to lose more.
But she can afford to stay there only until December. And she hopes the NHS will provide the rest of the funding to help her complete the programme.

I read this in the sun news paper online just now and wondered what people on this site think of this.

shell

I read this yesterday and had mixed feelings, on one hand I think she should pay for it herself, she got herself into this state so she should get herself out of it, mine is costing me over £7k its coming out of my own pocket not the NHS

On the other hand.....smokers etc get their treatment for cancer etc on the NHS and they got themselves into that state by smoking knowing they could eventually get cancer so if smokers can get it why cant obese people get it, im sure if my operation was offered to me by the NHS saving me £7k I would take them up on their offer!!

Her BMI would be roughly around 43, would that even qualify for free NHS treatment? I know at my doctors your BMI must be 50+ with mobilities or 60+ with no mobilities

Its a tough one, Im not really sure what I think about it but good on her for getting this far

Last edited:
I read this yesterday and had mixed feelings, on one hand I think she should pay for it herself, she got herself into this state so she should get herself out of it, mine is costing me over £7k its coming out of my own pocket not the NHS

On the other hand.....smokers etc get their treatment for cancer etc on the NHS and they got themselves into that state by smoking knowing they could eventually get cancer so if smokers can get it why cant obese people get it, im sure if my operation was offered to me by the NHS saving me £7k I would take them up on their offer!!

Her BMI would be roughly around 43, would that even qualify for free NHS treatment? I know at my doctors your BMI must be 50+ with mobilities or 60+ with no mobilities

Its a tough one, Im not really sure what I think about it but good on her for getting this far

The 1st part of your statement could be said of a lot of us on this site, my op was on the NHS, so should I have paid for it myself. I was beginning to cost the NHS money with treatments for arthritus and it was set to get worse the older I got. This was my 1st operation and apart from when I had the 2 girls its the only time I have been in hospital.

In all fairness is she fully to blame for her condition or her parents she relies heavily on their influence and guidance where food is concerened so why should she be punished for her parents actions. At least she is taking the non surgical way out as that would be wrong for someone so young. She is doing really well and should be givent the oportunity to get to her goal and live a normal teenage life with out the prejudices that many of us habe faced. x

The 1st part of your statement could be said of a lot of us on this site, my op was on the NHS, so should I have paid for it myself. I was beginning to cost the NHS money with treatments for arthritus and it was set to get worse the older I got. This was my 1st operation and apart from when I had the 2 girls its the only time I have been in hospital.

In all fairness is she fully to blame for her condition or her parents she relies heavily on their influence and guidance where food is concerened so why should she be punished for her parents actions. At least she is taking the non surgical way out as that would be wrong for someone so young. She is doing really well and should be givent the oportunity to get to her goal and live a normal teenage life with out the prejudices that many of us habe faced. x

tesmaralda... I wasn't having a go, we only have ourselves to blame for putting the weight on....no-one else, the NHS isn't a never ending money pot, people are being denied life saving cancer treatment etc, the NHS cant say yes to every body unfortunately, Georgia needs to help herself aswell, they fear if she returns to the UK she will pile the weight back on, well she has to accept responsibility for that and so do her parents, maybe if they learn't how to say NO to her and maybe took parenting classes and cookery classes etc they could give her the help she needs. I know lots of people who were turned down for various treatments on the NHS (none for obesity) and had to go it alone so maybe now its Georgia's turn to try and help herself, she is already costing them £4,200 a month while she is there, thats a hell of alot of money. Im afraid to say the wrong thing here incase I get pounded upon by everyone but the question was asked and I gave my opinion :)

I agree to a certain extent with what you are saying Yummy Mummy, we are to blame for the state we got ourselves in, however I can't speak for anyone else and not making excuses but the last ten years for me have been hell, a hell I would hate someone else especially one so young to experience.

I have worked and worked at trying to keep the weight off, wasn't always fat either, up till I was 34 I was stick thin and believe it or not used to model, then had a hysterectomy and it just kept piling on. I'd lose five stone quite easily if I kept under 500 calories then as soon as I started eating normally it would come back on again.

Years of yo yo dieting like that is dangerous for the body, I contracted IIH (a brain disease) and chronic arthritis as a result, both of which must be costing the NHS a fair packet to treat. Imagine how bad it would have been if I'd been over weight from an earlier age. A lot of my family have diabetes so I'm at risk there too.

I would hate to think that this poor girl would have a miserable future of yo yo dieting, watching everything she eats and being thoroughly miserable like I've been for the past ten years. We all deserve a chance at happiness I think.

Having said that I did have guilt pangs with my op because I have an elderly relative waiting for heart surgery and they have been waiting a lot longer than I did for my op.

I agree to a certain extent with what you are saying Yummy Mummy, we are to blame for the state we got ourselves in, however I can't speak for anyone else and not making excuses but the last ten years for me have been hell, a hell I would hate someone else especially one so young to experience.

I have worked and worked at trying to keep the weight off, wasn't always fat either, up till I was 34 I was stick thin and believe it or not used to model, then had a hysterectomy and it just kept piling on. I'd lose five stone quite easily if I kept under 500 calories then as soon as I started eating normally it would come back on again.

Years of yo yo dieting like that is dangerous for the body, I contracted IIH (a brain disease) and chronic arthritis as a result, both of which must be costing the NHS a fair packet to treat. Imagine how bad it would have been if I'd been over weight from an earlier age. A lot of my family have diabetes so I'm at risk there too.

I would hate to think that this poor girl would have a miserable future of yo yo dieting, watching everything she eats and being thoroughly miserable like I've been for the past ten years. We all deserve a chance at happiness I think.

Having said that I did have guilt pangs with my op because I have an elderly relative waiting for heart surgery and they have been waiting a lot longer than I did for my op.

Hi Bonita, I also agree with what you say, I have struggled with my weight for a good few years now so I know what that feels like, I know im not as overweight as others on here but extra weight is extra weight to all of us no matter how much it is we need to loose, I sympathise with georgia, loosing weight isn't easy if it was we'd all be skinny minnies but we do have to take responsibility for our own actions, my extra weight is ruining my life...my childrens lives and my husbands, I wont go anywhere or do anything incase people comment on my weight especially people I havn't seen in a long time so I do know what she's going through but I only have myself to blame for that and I cant expect the NHS to bail me out everytime I mess up, she has been given an extreme amount of help from the NHS surely its about time she started to help herself, the amount of times I have had to go private for treatment for me, hubby or my children is nothing ordinary but to get the treatment we needed it just had to be done.

I have absolutely no quam about obesity surgery on the NHS, smokers, sports players, alcoholics etc get treatment on the NHS so its only fair we should but we cant expect them to take us by the hand and do everything for us, we need to take our own actions and start looking after ourselves

Could i say something here - if you have surgery on the NHS and you pay tax and national insurance, you are funding your own surgery - thats what NI contributions are for. Ive been paying in for almost 30 years so I basically paid for my own op with loads of change - NHS may appear to be free but you pay for it every month!

As for Georgia - I think she is too young to have WLS - she is only 15.

Could i say something here - if you have surgery on the NHS and you pay tax and national insurance, you are funding your own surgery - thats what NI contributions are for. Ive been paying in for almost 30 years so I basically paid for my own op with loads of change - NHS may appear to be free but you pay for it every month!

I fully agree with this comment about us paying NI so in effect we are paying for this surgery already. I've been paying NI from my hard earned wages since I was 16 so I feel I have the right to do this. And as you say smokers get all the treatment they want and they are in that state due to an addiction as we are in the same way to food.

Hear Hear!

I agree with much you have said. I have been over weight since my teens. I put it down to learning bad eating habits. My mum was brought up that you had to 4 meals a day and couldn't leave the table till you had finished.

In 2005 I lost just over 9st and kept it off 2 years, unfortunaley I became sick and was put on the highest dose of steroids. Within 48 hours I was constanly hungry. I would wake at 3am to the sound of my stomach rumbling and hunger pains.

I know I am costing the NHS a fortune each month in prescriptions for diabetes, high blood pressure and more.

Having By Pass in the long would save them money as I would be more or less most off my meds.

Agree agree agree, if there is another way for to lose weight other than surgery all the better. It would be a lot to cope with on some one so young.

THE girl dubbed Britain's Fattest Teenager wants £23,000 from the NHS to get down to 12st

Georgia Davis, 16 - who dropped from 33st to 18.4st - plans to return to a US fitness camp to lose more.
But she can afford to stay there only until December. And she hopes the NHS will provide the rest of the funding to help her complete the programme.

I read this in the sun news paper online just now and wondered what people on this site think of this.

shell

I wonder could I get £23,000 to make me feel better about myself, I dont have much weight to loose, roughly about 1 stone but im certainly not going to go begging the already cash strapped NHS for money to sort something out that was my fault in the first place.

I dont agree with people getting wls on the NHS, at the end of the day if you stop stuffing your face with take-aways, chocolate, crisps, fatty foods etc you could afford to pay for the surgery yourself, you'll save money not buying this crap anymore

The NHS was set up to help the 'genuine' sick not people who couldn't control their eating habits and needed operations to stop them from over-eating, self control is whats needed there.

If you want surgery you should pay for it yourself and stop expecting the NHS to sort out your problems for you

I wonder could I get £23,000 to make me feel better about myself, I dont have much weight to loose, roughly about 1 stone but im certainly not going to go begging the already cash strapped NHS for money to sort something out that was my fault in the first place.

I dont agree with people getting wls on the NHS, at the end of the day if you stop stuffing your face with take-aways, chocolate, crisps, fatty foods etc you could afford to pay for the surgery yourself, you'll save money not buying this crap anymore

The NHS was set up to help the 'genuine' sick not people who couldn't control their eating habits and needed operations to stop them from over-eating, self control is whats needed there.

If you want surgery you should pay for it yourself and stop expecting the NHS to sort out your problems for you

Ugly Betty

Did you read the whole of this thread - do you understand the concept of people paying National Insurance contributions every month which funds your own GP and in the main, hospital treatment? Are you too stupid to comprehend this?

Secondly, you are entitled to your comments but unless you are seriously overweight with all the issues, both mental and physical that it brings up, you are not able to judge - do you smoke? Do you drink? Do you take class a drugs? If you got cancer or liver disease would you not expect sympathy and help on the NHS? This is no different - yes to a certain extent its self inflicted but we still need help. Do you honestly think that WLS is a quick fix - educate yourself and read some of these posts and do some research before you post stupid and ill informed comments - or is your head as ugly as your name?

Just a quicky, I have also worked all my life, so has my husband for the NHS all my family have worked all there life, and I also only have ever had 1 operation a caserian section. So no I dont feel guilty either. I perhaps go to my g.p. once a year if that. Okey Dokey moan over. L.O.L Gail-Michelle

Wow! Ugly Betty - for your 1st post, that was incredibly ignorant!

This is support forum - perhaps you'd be better joining a different one, Minimins is for people to give advice and opinions in a supportive way and not to be critical of each other.

I am 'choosing' to think that your opinions came from ignorance and not an ugly soul, U_B, here would be a great place to learn a little more about severe obesity. I am sure you understand that no one would willingly choose to so large and uncomfortable - not to mention risk heart attacks, strokes etc etc etc on a daily basis.

Lx

seems like someone made a name up just to cause upset, this as not my intention. as merely curious as to ppl thoughts, just goes to show how ignorant some ppl (ugly betty) are. ty for e1 comments

shell

Whey to go caroline:0clapper::0clapper::0clapper:and well done. Ugly Betty knows nowt :massmoon: Gail-Michelle.
Ugly Betty

Did you read the whole of this thread - do you understand the concept of people paying National Insurance contributions every month which funds your own GP and in the main, hospital treatment? Are you too stupid to comprehend this?

Secondly, you are entitled to your comments but unless you are seriously overweight with all the issues, both mental and physical that it brings up, you are not able to judge - do you smoke? Do you drink? Do you take class a drugs? If you got cancer or liver disease would you not expect sympathy and help on the NHS? This is no different - yes to a certain extent its self inflicted but we still need help. Do you honestly think that WLS is a quick fix - educate yourself and read some of these posts and do some research before you post stupid and ill informed comments - or is your head as ugly as your name?

Last edited:
Wow! Ugly Betty - for your 1st post, that was incredibly ignorant!

This is support forum - perhaps you'd be better joining a different one, Minimins is for people to give advice and opinions in a supportive way and not to be critical of each other.

I am 'choosing' to think that your opinions came from ignorance and not an ugly soul, U_B, here would be a great place to learn a little more about severe obesity. I am sure you understand that no one would willingly choose to so large and uncomfortable - not to mention risk heart attacks, strokes etc etc etc on a daily basis.

Lx
Well said Lizzie:D.I was a bit gobsmacked to see a post like that on such a supportive forum tbh:eek::eek:

Hey Ugly Bet, where do you get £23,000 from we are not buying a house you know. between £10.500/£14.000 will do nicely. Thank-You!!:grouphugg:We are family on here so you mess with one you will mess with us all. Do I make myself clear. so come on kiss my big lardy:kissass: whatdayasay. Gail-Michelle.

Back