• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Britain's Fattest Teenager

I think Georgia has done an amazing job and she might not have achieved it staying at home with all that junk food and temptation in easy reach. But seeing as she's been at the camp in the US for a while shouldn't she have learned the skills she needs to carry on the good work at home? Eventually she's going to have to come home and if she hasn't learned to do this on her own she'll end up piling the weight back on!

If the NHS only treated people who were ill with non self inflicted problems then there would be many many people not treated.
Any diseases secondary to smoking drinking or substance abuse is all self inflicted too, isnt it??
Obesity is another addiction, only because it is food, does that make it less serious, or the sufferers less worthy of being treated?? They still get illnesses that cause them pain and make them suffer and some pay with their lives, but you think that is allright, that it is their own fault.
As Caroline says you need to know all the facts surrounding obesity and the co morbidities, and psychological factors that go with it.
It is not a cut and dried, 'dont eat so much and you wont have a problem'. If the millions of people who are in this predicament could do that there would be no obese people. There are many many reasons why people become obese, they dont just get up one morning and think, sod it I am going to eat myself fat , heck no I will go the whole hog and become morbidly obese.
Also I cannot believe the attitudes of dont expect the NHS to sort out your problems, do people really think again it is that simple.
If you know what struggles and trauma and pain, both physical and psychological people go through in the early stages of obesity to try and conform and get back to an accepted weight, there would be no comments such as these as you would be able to empathise. Also have you noticed on this board how many people are turned down for surgery?? It certainly isnt handed out on a plate, and it certainly isnt 'the easy way out'. If you read all the side effects and trauma many of the people on this group have gone through post op you wouldnt even think that far less say it!!!
As a nurse when I was nursing cancer patients, are you suggesting that if they smoked they were less worthy of my care than if they hadnt?? Yes their illness may have been brought on by smoking but ask yourself, isnt that a hard way to learn a lesson, paying with your life?? You obviously have no idea..........
Caroline is also correct about the fact that most of us have worked many years paying NI and so have no need to feel 'guilty' about having an operation for whatever it is we need it for, and if someone has only paid in small amounts of NI, the NHS was set up so that all people in this country could receive treatment and care whether they were rich or poor, the latter of whom had previously died from their illnesses as they could not afford to pay for doctors far less treatments.
Okay so I need to get off my box now, but please in future think before you say such negative things about people and be informed, and if you cannot be caring and supportive then maybe best not to comment at all.
As for Georgia can you imagine how hard that child has worked to reduce by 18 STONE?? thats a massive amount, and hopefully because of her experience she may be more knowledgable about what not to do when she returns home.

Jay xx

Sadly I think Ugly Betty's attitude is one that many who haven't had to really struggle with weight will have.

I think a lot of people genuinely do think that WLS surgery is the easy option and the easy way out, shame they are ignorant and don't make the effort to get properly informed before making an observation.

I have a friend thats exactly the same, she was so angry when she found out I had the funding for the surgery especially as she had to work hard and save for a long time for her breast surgery, so much so she was threatening to complain to the press and PCT, she genuinely thought I was having this done for vanity reasons.

I could understand where she was coming from but could I get her to understand why I needed this surgery. She genuinely thought that if I cut down on the pies and got in the gym then it would all go away.

It might have done if I ate pies in the first place and was well enough to go to the gym. You will never get some people to understand because they are blinkered and not suffering themselves.

This is obviously a touchy issue, asking if people actually deserve help for something they got themselves into. I think it's defiantly a personal choice, I was 21 stone and never once seriously considered surgery because I wanted to be able to say I'd done it myself. But to spend all that money sending her to another country I find a touch frivolous, there are so many things that could be done with that money in this country. Saying that she does look a million times better and I'm sure she feels it!

Wow what a can of worms
Why oh Why does she have to go to the USA. Hasn't anyone thought about opening up a camp like that in this country.

"HMMMMM £23,000 for 6 months of boot camp times 20 patients =£460,000. We have got most of the expertise after all the diet we have tried anyone want to open our own camp":giggle::rotflmao:
:thinking2:

This is obviously a touchy issue, asking if people actually deserve help for something they got themselves into. I think it's defiantly a personal choice, I was 21 stone and never once seriously considered surgery because I wanted to be able to say I'd done it myself. But to spend all that money sending her to another country I find a touch frivolous, there are so many things that could be done with that money in this country. Saying that she does look a million times better and I'm sure she feels it!

mmm this makes me feel like you think WLS is an easy option, which just isn't true:(For all of us here i'm sure it is a last resort, after years and years of trying to "do it ourselves". At the end of the day WLS is only a tool that we have to work with to lose the weight, so is in no way an easy option:D

I used to think it was an easy option, until I did a little research about side effects etc. And lets not forget it's an OPERATION! It's not simply take a pill and there we are it's done! It can be a useful tool and it's up to you to use it to the full advantage.

just another quickie to get everyone thinking, yes secodary diseases of smokers caused by smoking is 'self inflicted', like 'us obese people' many of them work all their lives and pay NI and income tax. unlike us they also pay around 90% tax on all their tobacco products. surely they have paid their way?

I used to think it was an easy option, until I did a little research about side effects etc. And lets not forget it's an OPERATION! It's not simply take a pill and there we are it's done! It can be a useful tool and it's up to you to use it to the full advantage.
Exactly;):D

personally i dont think the nhs should pay for her to return there, she has been there a long time already and should have learned the skills required to continue the work at home id say the money would be better funding councilling and reeducaction for her and especially her parents at home in the uk all the time she is in a isolated environment she is shielded from the coping with the reality of living and thats not right especially at her age

We should have 'Health Camps' and 'Educational Programs' in place in the UK.

The NHS saw fit to send one our kids there, so now they know that there is an element of success and should proceed to do similar over here. After funding it in the first place, how can they say no to funding it here?

It would be like sending a lot of us over to the USA for our surgeries on the NHS when we have perfectly good professionals to do it here.

~hugs~

I wonder could I get £23,000 to make me feel better about myself, I dont have much weight to loose, roughly about 1 stone but im certainly not going to go begging the already cash strapped NHS for money to sort something out that was my fault in the first place.

I dont agree with people getting wls on the NHS, at the end of the day if you stop stuffing your face with take-aways, chocolate, crisps, fatty foods etc you could afford to pay for the surgery yourself, you'll save money not buying this crap anymore

The NHS was set up to help the 'genuine' sick not people who couldn't control their eating habits and needed operations to stop them from over-eating, self control is whats needed there.

If you want surgery you should pay for it yourself and stop expecting the NHS to sort out your problems for you

I am not in a position to pay for my surgery. I have tried loads of different weight loss programmes over the years with various different experts support (all of which I have funded myself). For the last 24 years I have worked hard and paid my NI as others have said and so have already paid into the NHS so why shouldn't I and other people like me get the funding to help save the NHS money in the long run.:mad:

Back