• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Broke pre op diet tonight - so disappointed

clare12345

Broke my pre op diet and now feel like I can't do it, I started my diet liquid/salad from yesterday and now broke it this evening with Mcfats, can't believe I bought a meal. I was in there as my son's friends invited us after swimming. I resisted all of 10 minutes. I have 11 days until my op on the Tuesday. Frustrated at the moment but will it be ok if I start from tomorrow?

Just feel a bit deflated about it. I think deep down I thought it would not hurt as I have 11 days to go. I bet I am the only one on this site that has broke the (important) pre op diet. It is so silly I know but this is one of the reasons I need to shrink my stomach because of silly temptations of fatty food.

My advice dont start tomorrow, start now! Dont beat yourself up its done you cant undo it.
Just try really hard not to slip up again.

I have to admit I did not slip once but maybe that was because I was terrified to.

Good Luck x

I agree with what Angela has said. Brave of you to admit to it, but now you need to stick to it like glue because those carbs will have gone straight to your starving liver and swollen it. You can do this, but you need to realise that post op you can still put the weight back on if you can't deal with your food demons.

I have started now, I said tomorrow as I plan on eating nothing now. It was a bit embarrassing to admit it on here as i have not read about anyone else breaking their pre-op diet. I think when I see the weight come off, this will be a big motivator for me to avoid my food demons.

can people give me suggestions for low carb low fat diet for pre op. I feel limited or maybe struggling with my imagination. I am now thinking that a shake in the morning, shake or salad at lunch and then chicken with salad in the evening will become boring. Thanks

I never strayed from my preop diet but I have had struggles some weeks post op. Yes the weight does come off, but please don't underestimate that compulsion to eat. Think through what this surgery actually does and if you're in the right headspace for it.

My head space has been really positive and has it gets closer, nerves kick in but I know I am ready. Part of me thinks I took it for granted that one meal this early on wont kill me which was stupid really as I thought that I would have time in 11 days to shrink liver.

11 days will probably be ok. But you need to work more on your attitude. What will stop you from thinking one- whatever-tempts-me -today won't hurt post op? The answer is your will power. Your pouch will work hard for you for 6 months. You can work with it and lose a lot of weight. Or you can work against it, test it, challenge it and you'll still lose some weight. About six months on and if you are not making the right choices the weight loss will stop and eventually you'll regain. You have to change this mindset now- don't kid yourself that being 'positive' was enough.
I can't muster up sympathy because it won't help you, and I want you to succeed. Full marks for fessing up, full marks for getting back on track-but sort your head out now. It's a tool-not magic.
Lecture over.
You CAn do this- so do it.
p.s. my pre-op diet was 1 egg ( any way but fried) or 3 oz lean ham, chicken or fish ,
3 times a day with 1 small new potato and a tablespoon of veg ( not peas or corn) added for tea. Plus a half a pint of skimmed milk. Not exciting, little choice but the start of a whole new attitude for food i.e food for nutrition not pleaure.
Good luck
xx

I was so proud that I followed the pre op to the letter, it gave me the confidence to know I was ready for the challenges and the huge lifestyle changes that surgery brings. One thought kept me motivated throughout the pre op diet, and that was: 'I do not want to risk my life for the sake of food'. We do the diet to make surgery safe for us, the last thing you want is for them to open you up and they cannot perform the procedure.
I agree with others, redouble your efforts, all is not lost. But beware of the kind of thought processes which has led you to 'allow' yourself to break the most important diet of your life. I think you have learned a hard lesson.

Back