• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass and Diabetes Study

Dawn36

Like a Pheonix
One of the main reasons for me having a bypass was the fact that research had shown that a bypass can cure or greatly reduce the effects of diabetes. So I am always on the lookout for anything relating to this topic and came across this article.

Why Can Surgical Treatment Improve Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus?

Just thought I would share for anyone else who might be interested.

Thanks for this. I too had my bypass mainly to help diabetes. Thankfully I am no longer on any medication for diabetes and have normal blood sugars! Best thing I ever did.

I'm a type 2 diabetic having had gestational diabetes.

One of the reasons I had a DS was that it was supposed to give immediate resolution to diabetes.

I was on well over 100 units insulin daily pre-op, cut it for the pre-op diet and expected to stop post-op.

After previous procedures I had to increase my insulin in line with blood sugars and this happened after my DS.

I did stop it but my Hba1c was creeping up so I was put back on 8 units glargine a day - at about 6 months post-op - I continued this till 11 months post-op when my Hba1c was so low it showed I didn't need it. Now I have nothing - even after my knee replacement in March I spiked the first day post-op then they dropped to normal.

My surgeon says they have no idea why WLS resolves diabetes - because it often happens so soon post-op it can't be related to weight loss and there must be some other mechanism going on.

The theory is that if one has been having insulin for more than 10 years (I did for 10 years) then it is more likely that the diabetes will not resolve especially immediately post-op. As WLS has not been done long enough on a large scale there is no data whether resolution of diabetes will be long-term or not.

Having said all this - diabetes resolution and avoidance of the complications of diabetes was important to me - but even if it had persisted I am so grateful for my op - my blood pressure and cholesterol are now normal (I hope waiting for blood results lol ;) ) and I feel and look so much better and healthier - I would still have had my WLS and the same op

Interesting study though - shame the abstract didn't have more stastistical significance though - and I hope the rodent research will transfer to humans

Thanks for this Angela xx

I was type 2 diabetic that had quite recently been put onto Insulatard as nothing could control my blood sugars and that is one of the main reasons that I went for surgery.
I stopped all meds on day one of the pre-op diet and have never taken anything for my diabetes ever since that.
I personally realise that my diet was responsible for a lot of my high blood sugars and I just didnt realise it.
Now my hba1c is 5.3 (was last time anyway) and though they are keeping me registered as diabetic, I am pretty much not diabetic any more, which thrills me no end.
Steph xx

I'm not sure whether you saw my other post about this but statistics say over 80% of RNY gastric bypass patients have complete resolution of their diabetes immediately post-op, sometimes within hours. There is also evidence to suggest that those below the age of 60 who have had a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes for less than 5 years, and which is under control with diet & medication have a more favourable outcome.

There are lots of physiological and biochemical changes following bypass surgery and one of the explanations is thought to be due to an increase in production of a glucagon-like peptide-1 in the intestine, which promotes insulin secretion.

This paper was written 6 years ago now but explains in far greater detail, and is mostly still relevant according to my GP, although obviously there have been advances and further studies are ongoing in this area....... http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/489587

Thank you to all of you for your imput. I have had diabetes for over 20 years. Pre op I was using 300 units of insulin over 24hours and now 4 months post op I use approx 100 units and I expect this to continue to decrease gradually. All I have to do now is find out how to balance my glucose intake when I have a hypo whilst avoiding the dreaded dumping!

Back