• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypassers can you answer these questions?

Tyraboots

What happens the day of your operation regarding arrival and until you go into the operating theatre?

Also, do they wake you up after the operation or leave you to wake up yourself?

What do you wake up with in you, tubes etc?

How long after your operation did you feel able to stand, and go for a wee?

I know I should have asked these questions of the surgeon, but was too fazed.

I have 17 days to go until mine.

What happens the day of your operation regarding arrival and until you go into the operating theatre?

Also, do they wake you up after the operation or leave you to wake up yourself?

What do you wake up with in you, tubes etc?

How long after your operation did you feel able to stand, and go for a wee?

I know I should have asked these questions of the surgeon, but was too fazed.

I have 17 days to go until mine.
I went in day before didnt do much to be honest just had all personal info checked again and again , day of op walked to surgery sat on the op table spoke to surgion and anisatist went though everything again he put canular is it called in my hand i laid down and was away with the fairys lol i woke in recovery with nurse calling my name and asking how much pain i was in fro 1-10 first i was nine after shot of morfine i was 5 after another i was 1 and iv never had any pain since then, i woke with drip in my hand catherter in and oxygyn mask on, i wasnt aloud to get out of bed till next morning then i was up and about no problem just a little shakey. I had my catheter in from wednesday till early hours friday (i pulled it out by acident getting out of bed:rolleyes:) having that in was personally the worst part of the whole thing for me because i was on totm x hope some of this helps good luck , anything else just ask x

I had to be in the hospital by 0700 (after having been nil by mouth from midnight) and I was shown to my room and settled in. The nurses did the usual obs: blood pressure, temperature, heart rate etc. The phlebotomist came to put a canula (miniscule little tube that they can put fluids into your vein) into my hand although he couldn't do it (arms too fat) and left it for the anaesthetist to do in theatre. The anaesthetist came to see me and I mentioned my fear of the mask and she was very reassuring, please tell them if you are very anxious they are very sweet and so used to people being scared, they will help you enormously. I put my gown on (backwards don't forget) and took off my nix. When they were ready for me at about 1400 hrs I walked down to the theatre with a lovely nurse who kept my mind off it. Then they took me into the anaesthetic room where the anaesthetist put the canula in. I had to lie on the trolley and they put extensions on it so that I could have my arms out by my side. They hooked up a blood pressure cuff onto my arm and a clip on my finger that registered my oxygen levels and sticky things for the ECG machine to monitor my heart. I asked the anaesthetist to tell me absolutely everything they were doing when they did it, as I cope better when I know totally everything. You may be different and not want to know anything at all, just tell them. The anaesthetist then put the anaesthetic into my canula (no sign of a mask at all) and I went very, very woozy and then I believe I woke up in recovery although I can't really remember anything until I woke up on the ward at about 1900 hrs. I had only been in theatre for 1.5 hours but the rest of the time I was asleep. I had a urinary catheter in (they did this while I was under the anaesthetic), fluids going into my arm via the canula, an arterial line measuring my blood pressure (this is just like another canula into my arm), the ECG monitor lines and my PCA (patient controlled anaesthetic) that I could push when I felt any pain and it issued a small amount of morphine. The nurse was very vigilant and I can't remember being left alone at all, I had a buzzer if I needed anything. I was awake most of that night as I couldn't take my Amitriptyline which makes me sleep so I was bored and couldn't wait to move back to my room and get a TV! The nurse got me out into a chair some time during the night which was difficult for her as I had so many tubes and wires and I had a drink of water. I had no pain at all and it all went swimmingly. I hope you have an easy time too. Just tell them your worries, no matter how silly you think they are. They have heard everything under the sun and can help.

I didnt want to read and run, great questions though..
i hope you get the answers you are looking for..

Best wishes with the Op.. x

Hi Tyra,

Mine was private so may differ slightly...

I arrived at the hospital and was taken to my room where I put on my gown/stockings and waited until they came to say I was ready to go to theatre. Surgeon came to see me, check I was happy to go ahead with everything. Nurse took my obs.

They woke me up after the op, I felt really really sick so they gave me lots of anti sickness drug.

I woke up with 2 cannulars in my left hand. No drainage tube, no catheter. Oxygen tubes up my nose. Big snow boots on to keep circulation going. Was taken back to my room fairly soon after op. Had a thing on my finger too linked to a machine so they could keep an eye on my oxygen levels for first 24hrs post op. Had a self administering morphine pump to press as and when I liked.

I stood up very soon after the op (a couple of hours max) and went for a wee no problems. It's blue btw. Something to do with the dye they use.

Good luck,
Cuppa xx

Maybe if anyone who has had their op at L&D could answer this cause i know every hospital has different protacol and that will save confusing the issue. lol

i was there for 7.30. st richards.
shown to my bed and un packed. nurse came and checked details name etc. put wristbands on arm and leg. have to have ankle one for theatre now. aneasthist came and went through everything and i told him i hated feeling sick so he said hed sort that,phew. then mr slater came and asked me if i needed the risks again said nah heard that one before so i signed consent form. sat and chatted to the other patients and at 2.30 walked to theatre. met staff in anaesethic room and dr bentley did his bit canular blood gas one etche asked what drink i wanted and what music i wanted lol. had oxygen and then dont remember a think. dont remember recovery . back on ward .xx

hi ..

i was booked in at 10 and asked to change at about 11 and admitted and gave a room to sit in 2 untill they came and got me. the lady put on my tights and name band.. was very scared but was ok in the end. i dont remember much else untill i woke up.. which was on my own and i had nothing in my apart from a drip. i actually felt fine a little sick but fine! was shocked! i was taken to a ward about 6ish and went for a wee about 11 and had a shower at 4 in the morning i felt fine - untill the complications from the meds kicked in! youll be fine.. use these 17 days to ask as many questions as u want but remember everywhere is different. xx

Hiya Tyra had mine done at the Luton hospital i had to go in the evening before my op, nothing new standard stuff like checking you in. Had an injection an my glamorous stockings on. The morning of the op walked down to theatre and sat in the waiting room till my op was due. Talked to the anthatist had a canular put in my arm and a next thing i new i was in HDU, from what i can remember they let you come round in your own time ( i think)
The tubes i had when i came round is that i had a catheta, a drain and 1 for my insulin and the other for fluids. My operation was 7 hours so i was nill by mouth for nearly 2 days, which sounds alot but it was ok, on saterday i had my catheta removed and was allowed to go to the toilet, which was fine as you get help anyway, also had the drain was taken out on the same day to.

Hope this helps if not feel free to pm me:))

Sharon xx

sorry mine was l&d dont think i said ^^ x

Am intrigued with the blue wee, think i might just have to hold off going till my kids get there! How cool will i be?

Back