• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calories after a year and particularly longer

JOHNG79

Hi guys,

Just wondering about how many calories patients are on from over a year and longer out.

Obv 800-1000 probably isnt sustainable longer term, and i know its about sensible choices, but i am curious. Iv read some patients have ended up putting lot weight back on, and wondered how, given such small pouches (i know it stretches but surely not too much)
Thanks

John

Bling Babe

Hi guys,

Just wondering about how many calories patients are on from over a year and longer out.

Obv 800-1000 probably isnt sustainable longer term, and i know its about sensible choices, but i am curious. Iv read some patients have ended up putting lot weight back on, and wondered how, given such small pouches (i know it stretches but surely not too much)
Thanks

John
At my MDT we were told that a third of gastric bypass patient have regained all their weighting 10 years ........ how depressing and very worrying as I’m sure each and every bypasser has sworn that it won’t happen to them. It really just reinforcing that wls is ONLY a tool and we must work with it

Hannah2

I have to be honest @JOHNG79 I don't measure now. I don't count calories or protein, I just try to establish a balanced diet. I probably should monitor it, but it takes too much effort right now!

Hannah2

As to how people put weight on? Eating the wrong things, grazing/not sticking to 3 meals a
Day, eating more than at first/ not stopping eating when they should.

I have been guilty lately of grazing, it is very easy to do and if you combine grazing with eating the wrong things then it won't take long to put weight on!

Bling Babe

Very true and it’s something I’m going to have to be mindful of, if I hopefully get my surgery xx

JOHNG79

spoke to my dietitian yday who advised 800-1000cals at minute and long term under 1200 as going over that runs danger of weight regain.

Personally id have thought more long term as when you are near a "normal weight" you would be needing to eat closer to normal recommended daily cal amount, but maybe thats why im not an expert lol

fjsinc

Actually it's not very hard lol. I am nearly 5 years out and I regained 4.5 stone over 2 close pregnancies. You'll be surprised how much you can eat at 2+ years out. It's not the pouch stretching, it's that you no longer have any swelling from the surgery. You also learn to adapt your eating, so eating for longer means you can consume more etc. I can eat a small but perfectly normal size portion as as a meal. Also not everyone has seveer dumping, so there is no bar eating high calories foods.

Last edited: