• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Changes to PCTS and referrals

Stellap

At goal at last.....
I saw my doctor about my loose skin who referred me to my local plastick surgeon. I got an appointment for 29 December but they wrote and cancelled and when I phoned them for another appointment they referred me back to my GP and said that the system has now changed since the Tories got in and I would have to go back to my GP. Anyone got any ideas what this means? Do the doctors now decide if you have funding for the op and then refer you?

Well they reckon all power is going to the GP and arent they doing away with the PCT? I remember hearing something like that, sorry Im not much help lol :D XX

It could mean that they have withdrawn funding, but clasping @ straws here

hi, i was reffered to surgeon by gp but in wales you dont see surgeon until your case is put in front of pct panel which meets monthly. once they decide if you meet criteria and are accepted you get put on surgeon's list. the rule in wales was 26 wks from referral to treatment max but app now they are working on up to 36 wks! if by any chance you get turned down you can appeal which i did and then got accepted! hope this helps, dont know about the rule you mentioned sorry, good luck x

The NHS is really going to suffer under our new government, this means that the hoops we have to jump through to get what we need are gonna be a lot higher. Some none essential treatments will be withdrawn all together

It`s true that the new government are abolishing all the PCTs hence I don`t know if I`ll have a job soon :(

I don`t know how this affects things though, Sorry. I have had my funding denied at the beginning of this month and saw the PS at the end of this month. They are supportive of me having an abdomnioplasty and have written to my Dr advising her to help me appeal for funding saying they will support this.

I haven`t had WLS though, And don`t know if things are different for this than for what I want/need done.

Good luck Xxx

When I went for my meeting about my weight loss surgery I was warned that some PCT's had withdrawn all funding for the removing of loose skin including Essex, which is where I live. Maybe your PCT has done the same. I don't know if this applies to already approved funds or just future applications.

Nearly every meeting I have been to at the Weight loss management Clinic in Cornwall, they have stated "You do know there is no funding for surgery for excess skin removal don't you?" I guess each area is different, the Skin issue has always been a big fear.

I think it is a game of wait and see. It will only get worse though. I personally am more concerned about getting the surgery and getting the weight off, i'll worry about excess skin at the relevant time, who knows we might get lucky?

Thanks for all your answers. I guess I will find out when I go back to the GP. At the end of the day if I don't get the surgery I can live with my excess skin as good health and being diabetes free was my goal and has been achieved. I'm more than grateful to the NHS at what I've already received from them. I hope everyone manages to get their wls approved though as it's been a life saver for me x

im hoping that the gp will get control of funding, as the peasants at the pct have declined my case as not being exceptional, went to appeal and still declined.........
the example i was given was if 10 patients lined up and they all recently had a gastric bypass and had extreme amounts of saggy skin then we would all be the same and and therefore none of us would be exceptional and we would not get funding.....so does that mean there are 9 other women that have lost 11.5 stone and have mental health problems and breasts down to their waist????
oh well onwards and upwards.......im not giving up!!!

I know what you mean Deb. I hope I will be OK with the skin, my friend who has lost 10 stone is fine with hers. But I also know my brain isn't always in great shape, and the 'happy pills' don't always make life bearable as it is.

i know. no amount of anti depressants and cbt will alter the loose skin, my arms and legs dont bother me, in fact i have actually got legs now.....but the boobs are disgusting, oh well, keep on hoping....

Sometimes we make the sacrifice to know we are healthier,yes my breasts consist of loose skin and nipples. No resemblance of a beauty mark to boast about. But in knowing I have extended my life as a healthier adult and have cut the percentage for a heart attack and diabetes I am happier. It is a trade off for a longer life.

Nearly every meeting I have been to at the Weight loss management Clinic in Cornwall, they have stated "You do know there is no funding for surgery for excess skin removal don't you?" I guess each area is different, the Skin issue has always been a big fear.

Yes they said the same to me also, first thing they said to us before even considering us for wls was ' you do realise if you lose alot of weight we can not do any of the skin removal as its classed at cosmetic surgery'
shame because i think im gonna have alot of it

When I went for my meeting about my weight loss surgery I was warned that some PCT's had withdrawn all funding for the removing of loose skin including Essex, which is where I live. Maybe your PCT has done the same. I don't know if this applies to already approved funds or just future applications.

I live in Essex and my pct still funds t/t etc for ppl who have had wls I have been told by my gp/surgeon and pct once my bmi is below 27 too reapply. I applied before I had wls because I have got quite a over hang to start with.

Sandwell have just changed their criteria from BMI under 30 to BMI of 25 and under you must also have lost over 5 stone and be a non-smoker

Oh well only another 2 stone to go :rolleyes:

I have been referred by my GP to see a surgeon on the 14th feb, into the fast track surgery clinic, hope this means next day service lol
I'm hoping to get my breasts and tummy done at least, I'll be devastated if I can't, would have qualified for breast reduction even before wls!! So you can imagine now they look like 2 potatoes stuffed into wrinkly puppy ears!!
anyone else from the teesside area had this done or know someone who has?

Back