• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Clothes shrinking, helpful hints and tips!

phatmomma

Right, although i got a six month wait for my surgery i thought maybe some of you have had surgery could share hints n tips for those of us who will have to downsize (whoops and runs round the room like a thunderbird on acid).

I'm thinking to watch the sales like a maniac, if i see something i like in a smaller size than i wear now (anywhere between 24-28 i have huge arms grr) at a giveaway price i'd buy it and hope to get use of it. If i shrink too fast am sure i can recoup it on ebay or even freecycle it away.

What did all you big losers do?

Answers on minis please, no postcards accepted lol.

Its a good thing to do, I picked up things on the sales rales and on Sainsburys 25% off weekends. The only thing to remember though is that you will need different styles to what you are used to now. I dress completely differently as I'm no longer trying to cover up everywhere as much as possible. The billowy styles I used to wear make me look huge now!

Its a good thing to do, I picked up things on the sales rales and on Sainsburys 25% off weekends. The only thing to remember though is that you will need different styles to what you are used to now. I dress completely differently as I'm no longer trying to cover up everywhere as much as possible. The billowy styles I used to wear make me look huge now!

Thanks Shel i'll definitely avoid billowy, although i do try now. Casually i dont have a problem with sleeveless tops or jeans that dont sag on my butt.. I don't think that because your fat you should dress fat, but i dont show my wares to the world either lol... Dignity but fashionable (i hope) at all times...

thanks for the tip!

Julie start saving girl we will have to go shopping in Wolvo when we start losing weight.
skinny jeans and belly tops LOL:rotflmao: at the moment it sounds funny but when we get to a 12 or 14........ :eek: :eek: my god will it really happen it all seems so far away at the mo....putting it down in words makes it seem possible.... I've got some 18 and 20 but below that........

I am giving most of my clothes to a charity shop down the road who have a section for big clothes. My favourite bits, like 2 medieval style Gothic tops I'm hoping to have taken in. At the mo. I am buying sales items that are too small at the moment but should fit in a couple of months. It is great shopping at normal size shops and not just Evans. I do find though at Evans that their sale rail has a lot more smaller sizes and so bargains can be found there also. I really hate the new Beth Ditto collection though.

I'm gonna start soon i think. Walked past Laura Ashley today and casually glanced in the window. Was a beautiful dress which was obviously about a 10/12 and i thought, wow!!! one day i might buy something like that. My fiance and i are going to get married next year (just need to book it lol) and this time my wedding pictures will look nothing like my first marriage... There will not be a big pink blancmange posing, but a new slinky me lol.

And yes Lamornamiss we are so going shopping, i think i'm going to go buy a saving tin i can't open without a tin opener and start putting a few pounds a week in it when i have it going spare lol. Shop till we drop girls whoooooo

I have found that some clothes fit me in a certain size but then other things in the same size are too tight or don't look right when they're on. A classic example was a pair of red 2/4 length trousers that were too tight 2 weeks ago and put them on this weekend and have to keep pulling them up. I have just been making do wih what I have until they fall down am hoping to take in some of my favourite skirt and tops. As the weight loss is quiet rapid I want to save buying something until I have too.

Yeah i'm thinking that i may still be in the elasticated clothes. Will have to buy nice clothes for work, but maybe joggers a lot of the time at home, their cheap enough at asda...... Hey maybe i could take some exercise at the same time seeing as i'll be in the gear???

I know Bon Marche have lots of stuff in stretch waist/cotton tops and tee shirts.Charity shops and ebay are great cos you dont want to spend loads yet!Ill have 24/26 stuff if you want some of that till you are size14.I have a secret stash of gorgeous undies and nighties that I drool over,cant wait to wear a bra thats not reinforced with whalebone or knickers that dont catch the wind on the line and nearly pull it out of the ground.! lol

Apart from underwear i had a rule that i paid no more than £5 for any item every time i went in the supermarket if i saw something on the sale rail that i liked that was a couple of sizes smaller than i was i would buy. I also accepted clothes from friends who were having a clearout. Its only once i hit a size 14 i started spending a little more and now in a 12 a lot more.
hth
carole

Yeah in t-shirt type clothes i can go into asda and buy a 24 and be comfy. Luckily George doesn't charge you an arm and a leg lol.. I think the £5 rule is a good one, i'll try and remember that.....

I have'nt really bought much yet in smaller sizes apart from a top and a pair of trousers. I have gone from a 28/30 to a 24 but because most of my "old" clothes have elasticated waist bands I'm able to just get away with them. I'm going to have to start buying soon though because I'm looking like a bag of sh*y in some things lol. I suppose I should have started looking for smaller sizes before now but did'nt want to tempt fate lolxxx

still wating for op yet but ive bought some things that i couldnt resist . a pale blue top that was in sale and a black skirt and salmon pink top from peacoks sale £9 for both , all in a 14s they look so small and i cant belive that ill ever get into them

Whats even worse as you come down in sizes is finding something you really like then getting up one day to discover its too big for you. But hey its a small price to pay. lol

I've got tons of skinny clothes in bin bags in the loft so don't think I'll be buying anything new for a while yet.

Having said that a few times I've put one of my normal comfortable baggy tops on recently to have hubbie demand I go change it because its far too big.

I can't see it myself but its not like him to notice normally so he must be right..

i have now got to the stage where i hate anything that is slightly too big where big and baggy used to rule the roost. lol

I'm not going to buy anything til I really need to, Because I suspect that I wont like it by the time it fits, or it wont fit right so I'm gonna wait and see

when I lost weight last time I bought whatever I could find from a charity shop and then took then back a couple of weeks later.

Having said that even himself didn't notice I'd lost anything till I was 5 stone down!!! So most of the big stuff was fine for quite a while, but I shot through the smaller sizes like you wouldn't believe, so I'm not in a hurry to part with my spendo till I have to

I think you girls are brave buying smaller stuff pre op, I worry if I do that it wont happen, a but like buying stuff before the baby is born lol, I also worry that because body shapes can change drastically with large amounts of weight loss that the things I might buy wouldnt suit me anyway, so guessing I am one of those who will wait and see what happens as there are always sales on nowadays.
But good luck with the bargains girls

Jay xx

I also have lots of bags and suitcases of old clothes in sizes 14-22. I will pull them out and pick out the ones that arent too dated and manage with those until i get where i want to be. Ive been wearing the same clothes (very limited pieces) for so long now im sure i can carry on like that for a while longer. having said that i have been looking in the shops to see whats about. I have already warned hubby that i will be having a spending spree for a whole new wardrobe in the not so distant future (hopefully)

Back