• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Complications?

Butterfly1979

Can anyone help? I'm due to have a bypass next month and I'm starting to worry that the surgeon won't be able to do it. I had to have a band removed two years ago as it was cutting into my stomach and the surgeon said he might be able to perform the bypass by key hole or by opening me up depending on the internal scar tissue but has anyone gone to have a bypass And for what ever not been able to have it done at all?? Please help I'm getting very worried.

i know this wont help but im also due next month and all i can think about is waking up with it not done , i think its a normal worry ,the only thing that eases the fear is the very few people that wake up without the op being done,i just hope it all goes to plan,so although sadly,i cant help you ,i do understand how your feeling , keep positive ,il be wishing you luck along with lots of others on here , xxxxxxxx

I think if you wake up to find it isn't done, it's usually because your liver is too big, if you have stuck to your pre op diet you should be ok. Good luck :) x

I was told by my hospital that it has happened, that patients couldn't have the surgery and woke up without their bypass or sleeve having been done. This would have been due to their liver being too large, making it impossible for the surgeon to do the operation. I think this is quite rare though. A surgeon would probably do his best to deliver the surgery, but he/she will always put the patient's safety first. If you stick to your liver reducing pre op diet you should be fine. I haven't heard of anyone not having the surgery due to excessive scar tissue.

Just had my bypass on sunday - made a point of informing me that if for any reason they can not do the bypass they would do a sleeve all went well though I was paranoid about my liver so much so the first words I said in recovery replying to "Philip its all over you are done now" was "Hey was my liver small enough!!" and was still asking the surgeon later that day when he came to the ward to see me!

Your surgeon is the one to answer your questions hun. I would ask them to confirm that if laparoscopic isn't possible that they would do open surgery. That is of course if you would be OK with that.

I think we all worry about it pre op, but I reckon the number of cases were they don't actually perform the operation are very few.

Speak to your surgical team's secretary voice your concerns and ask if the surgeon could give you a quick call to put your mind at rest. I'm sure they won't mind. Good luck xxx

Thank you so much for your replies. Naturally like others I am worried but I just don't want to wake up after the surgery And someone tell me they couldn't do it, I would be so upset as it's all I've wanted for such a long time. I'm going for my pre op tomorrow so I'm hoping someone there might be able to help me with some questions.

hi butterfly
i have had 2 previous bands with more than normal scarring afterwards..i still ended up having a bypass successfully xx

Hi Shannon, do you know whether you had slot of internal scaring as that's what I'm worried about that might stop having a bypass?

just wanted to give a hug and possitive vibes
~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~vibes for a good outcome xxx
(((((((((((hug))))))))))))

i really wouldn't worry too much hun, they need to tell you about the possible changes that could arise during your op. He wouldn't attempt to do it if he didn't think you'd be ok x

Oh i know xxsarahxx but I'm still very worried as I will be so upset if they don't do it as it's all ive thought about for such a long time x

Excellent news!! Super happy for you hun xx how are you feeling ?

Just had my bypass on sunday - made a point of informing me that if for any reason they can not do the bypass they would do a sleeve all went well though I was paranoid about my liver so much so the first words I said in recovery replying to "Philip its all over you are done now" was "Hey was my liver small enough!!" and was still asking the surgeon later that day when he came to the ward to see me!

Did you get an answer? Was it? :D

Congratulations!!!!!!!! here to the new you xxx

Back