• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric bypass date.. Worried about previous surgeries

cat1972

Hi, I'm new to this site.. Just got my date through for gastric bypass operation.. 30th oct at derby with Mr Ahmed.
I had a gastric band in 2007 and had it removed in 2010 due to complications. In 2011 I had my Gallbladder removed. All of these operations were keyhole and I am worried I will have too much scared tissue to complete my bypass keyhole. Has anyone had similar issues? Also does anyone know how long I will be off work? I'm a mental health nurse manager and would be able to undertake light duties following my operation.

I had a band, a sleeve and then a bypass all keyhole. My stomach is in a bit of a mess but no issues with scar tissue and I has my final op keyhole too xx

That's good to know, was a bit worried after seeing consultant that he wouldn't be able to do it key hole.

Hi cat
Had my op 4 weeks ago and returned to work last monday. Think everyone is different really; I wanted to go back after two weeks but needed the third week to build up my energy which was very low level for a while. Now I'm back (I'm an NHS therapist) I find Im coping far better than I anticipated. Think if my job was more physical I wouldve struggled more.

Hi Dandilions, that's good to hear, sounds like your recovering well. Has the last 4 weeks been difficult? I have booked 2 weeks leave and hopefully will only need 2 weeks maximum sick. How have you found being back at work? I'm clinical manager so can be office based if I need to be x

Hi Dandilions, thanks for replying its put my mind at ease a little. How's the last 4 weeks been, has it been a struggle? X

Sorry I didn't see your second question.

I was signed off work for 6 weeks as I am a chef so my job involves long hours, standing and lifting. I felt I could have gone back after a week though! I felt amazing after my op.

Hi, I had a band, gallbladder removed and then a bypass all by keyhole. I was off three weeks after bypass and went back on light duty I'm a midwife ?

Hi, I'm new to this site.. Just got my date through for gastric bypass operation.. 30th oct at derby with Mr Ahmed.
I had a gastric band in 2007 and had it removed in 2010 due to complications. In 2011 I had my Gallbladder removed. All of these operations were keyhole and I am worried I will have too much scared tissue to complete my bypass keyhole. Has anyone had similar issues? Also does anyone know how long I will be off work? I'm a mental health nurse manager and would be able to undertake light duties following my operation.

Hi there being cheeky when were you listed? I'm at derby too x

Hi Badgerpink,
Listed since Dec, so only 10months from being listed till op date. Have you got date yet, and do you know which surgeon your with? I had my band fitted by Mr Leader, and bypass is with Mr Ahmed.

Badgerpink, I was listed in dec last year. Only 10 months from being listed to operation date. Think it depends who your under. For my band I had Mr Leader and only waited about 6 months. This time I'm under Mr Ahmed. It's classed as revision this time so didn't have to go through all other stuff, dietician, Psychologist Etc. How long have you been listed, and what are you having? X

Hi,

I had a band gallbladder removal then bypass on 16th Sept. My consultant said I had a lot of scar tissue around my port area. He said the location of this did not affect my bypass and the only issue would be on the couts across my stomach where the band had settled. He said imagine stappling 2 sheets of paper together then imagine stappling 4 sheets together that is the only difference. And he said don't worry we have a bigger stappler we use :-D. All my connections seem to be working ok:-D.

My recovery is taking longer than I thought but I contracted pluresey on day 2 after the op, am recovering from that and now have a subterrainial haemotoma which did not come to light till they removed my staples and I exploded all over the poor nurse at my doctors.
All that said I am not regretting having it done. Dr has signed me off for another 2 weeks and has said it will take as long as it takes.
Good luck, you'll be fine just stick to the pre op oh and di more preparation on your post op meals than

Badgerpink, I was listed in dec last year. Only 10 months from being listed to operation date. Think it depends who your under. For my band I had Mr Leader and only waited about 6 months. This time I'm under Mr Ahmed. It's classed as revision this time so didn't have to go through all other stuff, dietician, Psychologist Etc. How long have you been listed, and what are you having? X

That's great 10 months ?, I am under Mr Ahmed too got listed on 30/05/13 and I'm having a sleeve, back in next week for the dietician. I wish you the best of luck with your op and many happiness on your new journey , look forward to seeing your updates. X

Back