• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Constipation/Fibre and beyond

jjsreal

I have been concentrating on protein and had been worried about taking my iron tablets but I bit the bullett and started taking them last week. I got the side effect I was sure I would - constipation.
I have seen some suggestions from other people but I dont understand how a bypasser can take lactulose(my dietician said dont take), fibergel and soluable fibre (dont they swell in your stomach?)
I have been taking Dulcolax for 2 days and had a glycerinn suppository and still nothing.
Any suggestions greatly recieved plus how do you get anywhere near the amount of fibre they recommend (20g ish)
As I am taking a lot of medication at the moment that doen't help things, is there anyone that copes with this problem long term?
Many thanks

This probably doesn't help but I was told lactulose was the way to go.

I dont take iron tablets, never been offered them or told to take them!!
if I start to feel constipated I increase fluids and veg. From the posts I have seen on here fluids are the most important thing in combatting constitpation, from a medical point of view if it becoming uncomfortable or a concern for you seek advice from your team at Darlington or GP. x

i bought some prune juice from tesco :) and tried to drink loads of water but that's a problem when trying to eat small amounts and not drinking half hour either way , i do sympathise though it's horrible :(

Ihave struggled with it too have tried lots i am at the moment having a glass 125ml of prune juice each morning and i have gone every day so i'm guna stick with that started that on tuesday worth a try xx

I got some suppositories from the chemist. I didn't go for a week. And since yesterday I have been four times. It hasn't caused diareaha or stomach cramps.

I swore by benefibre for the first year post-op. just one or two tspoons a day and it keeps you regular preventing both constipation and the runs.

In the meantime movicol is the most recommended for bypassers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi

I am in the same boat and have been from the pre op milk diet, I could only go every seven days and then only with some chemical help, but for the last week or so I have been drinking a glass of prune juice from Tesco and now although it's still not a daily event I no longer need the chemical drain cleaner to get things moving.

If things get really bad I can highly recomend the Ducolax Suppositories, thay work like a charm and within 20 to 30 minites as well.

Don't let it get too bad though, you don't want to end up ripping something or having a manual evacuation.

Paul

Back