• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Coping With The Post-Op Blues

DanR

Six Month Post Op
First of all I hope everyone's had a good Christmas :).

Now I have a query for the post-oppers among us; I'm now nearly three weeks out from my bypass and am having a few 'down' days, feeling teary, very short tempered and wanting to hide away in bed.

Now I realise that experiencing some depression post-op is to be expected, so how did you guys deal with it and how long did it last for you?

I guess I'm looking for ways to make myself feel better without the aid of food, and reassurance that the pre-op blues won't necessarily descend into a full-blown bout of depression (I have suffered in the past).

So any suggestions/reassurance that you guys can offer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and a Happy New Year to all!

Dan

hi
i had a band done, a couple of weeks before the surgery i was very tearful, and im never like that.

im fine now and love my band

sallie

hi dan
i was teary after my op in hospital and was told it was perfectly normal. i did get depressed but i do suffer anyway. was in hospital with probs but what i do now is i talk on here and on facebook. i have also got some friends on here i can txt. i also try and do something i enjoy which is usually putting my fav dvds on.xx

I was really down at about the same time. Never been depressed before so came as a big shock. Lasted about 2 weeks for me then it all started to get better.

M

this is part of the process for alot of wls patients its like greiving leaving the old you and the old lifestyle behind forever, its mourning the loss of our old habbits but it does get better when the rewards of wls start to shine through x

Agree totally with Liz

I have also suffered bad bouts of depression in the past and did feel VERY down after surgery. and later on, maybe two/three weeks in or so, I did feel bad again but it does pass especially when you see the pounds dropping off and feel lighter :)

Concentrate on things you enjoy doing - lovely warm bath with your Christmas "smellies" (men get them too don't they??)? Sorting out clothes into size order ready for wearing again? lol!

Post on here any time and we will all be here for you :)

Back