• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

CPAP Problems

Mr Doo

Cant get used to this cpap ( lasts 1 hour max before it ends up on the floor.
i take it off in my sleep), i've been removed from the waiting list because i cant wear the bloody thing.
has anyone had the bypass without the cpap even when you needed it ??

i had the cpap now for over 18 months and was like you for about the first 7 month i had panic attacks while wearing it, i have to wear my headgear really tight as i was taking it off in my sleep and to stop the leaks, im yet to be bypass im on the waiting list, good luck and ihope you get your op

Which mask are you currently using? I find the nasal mask better than the full face for both leaks and ability to sleep, i do struggle with the full face myself which makes me feel like im gasping to breath and i end up taking it off in the night, but no such probs with nasal. may be worth asking your provider to try an alternative mask and see how you get on

Last edited:
It might be worth asking if you can change to the nasal only type (assuming you have the full face mask now). I was originally fitted for the full face one, but had a minor panic attack while he was doing it, so he said that's never going to work is it, and we went to the nasal one. It seems these are only used when asked for or if a patient has an issue with the full face one. Could be worth a try.

The good news is that I was able to give it all back ages ago as now I have lost all my extra weight I no longer suffer with apnea at all.

Have been using CPAP for over 10 years now I having tried all sorts of masks unsuccessfully for various reasons but after a year I found the nasal pillow system was more comfortable to wear. They took a little bit of getting used to and they literally had to be broken in over a few weeks until my nasal openings 'hardened up' to them but I wont use anything else now.
It is not unusual for people to take the mask off in their sleep in the initial months of becoming compliant with CPAP. lets be honest its not the easiest thing to get used to but at the end of the day not using it puts us apnoeaics at great risk from so many conditions namely stroke, heart attacks, diabetes etc etc the list is so long so we owe it to ourselves to get used to it Im afraid.
You dont say if your machine comes with an attached humidifier. I maintain this is essential for anybody using CPAP & unfortunatly not all sleep clinics hand them out with the basic machine :sigh: :confused: & as a result many will fail in becoming compliant.
Wearing a mask too tight doesn't always necessarily stop leaks either as most masks are designed to float lightly on the face. Much like a hovercraft skirt. Too tight and it causes the silicon to deflect and hence leak.
The slightest bit of dirt/grease/cream on the seal or the skin will also break that seal also creating leaks. So it goes without saying that the mask & skin should be squeaky clean.
If you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask :) but I can only urge you to perservere with it meantime as i doubt surgery will go ahead until you do master it. x

Back