• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

December 2014 Surgeries

Be careful when I had a bug right at the beginning I wanted to take kaoline and morphine but was told by chemist no way ask the chemist what you can take because they are the best to answer if no medication try some bananas they can help stop the runs and they are full,of potassium which is good for you but you should be drinking Dioralyte because it replaces the important salts in the body, make a sachet up and dip through out the day. Hope you feel better soon :)
thanks mouse bit reluctant on the banana route as I dumped on a banana after surgery! The thought of anything else to drink makes my stomach turn! I went to the local walk in centre this morning as I just haven't stopped there can't be nothing else left in me!! He prescribed me a duvet and dvd and said these bugs can last anything up to 8-10 days if I'm still pooing on Monday I have a sample container (how I'm supposed to get it in there is another story!!) and to take it to my doctors good thing is I have a follow up appointment after my op on Tuesday anyway so they will advise me better fingers and toes crossed it clears up in the mean time!! X

Hi hun I have had runs last 2 days not a bug I don't think but I have taken immodium it's fine with me just just a thought sometimes you need to let the bug run through. It's going on a few days now make sure you keep your fluids in if nothing else. Get well soon thinking of you xxx
Have you got hospital Tuesday too mine is at 4.00? X

thanks mouse bit reluctant on the banana route as I dumped on a banana after surgery! The thought of anything else to drink makes my stomach turn! I went to the local walk in centre this morning as I just haven't stopped there can't be nothing else left in me!! He prescribed me a duvet and dvd and said these bugs can last anything up to 8-10 days if I'm still pooing on Monday I have a sample container (how I'm supposed to get it in there is another story!!) and to take it to my doctors good thing is I have a follow up appointment after my op on Tuesday anyway so they will advise me better fingers and toes crossed it clears up in the mean time!! X

Hi Hun...do you have a RNY bypass then? Dumping Syndrome only affects bypassers, as the pyloric sphincter no longer plays a role in digestion, so rapid gastric evacuation is a side effect. Banders and sleevers don't dump generally. This is due to the dumping of large amount of sugars into the small intestine (hyperglycemia) in Bypassers. In response, the body releases large amounts of insulin to absorb the sugars, leading to low levels of sugar in the body (hypoglycemia).

Hi Hun...do you have a RNY bypass then? Dumping Syndrome only affects bypassers, as the pyloric sphincter no longer plays a role in digestion, so rapid gastric evacuation is a side effect. Banders and sleevers don't dump generally. This is due to the dumping of large amount of sugars into the small intestine (hyperglycemia) in Bypassers. In response, the body releases large amounts of insulin to absorb the sugars, leading to low levels of sugar in the body (hypoglycemia).
Hi yes I had a bypass!

I've yet to have dumping syndrome. I admit I've pushed the rules a bit with foods but not crazily.

I also find I can eat much faster than I expected and chew slightly less without feeling uncomfortable. I guess I started really cautiously and then tested things out a bit to learn my new limits. The most important thing is to try small things in small steps - after all the last thing I should do it give myself a medical emergency by going too fast (especially with under chewed foods).

I'm also aware that my pouch is larger than usual due to scarring but I also have a longer Roux limb to compensate. For that reason I know I need to watch the malabsorption aspect closely.

I've yet to have dumping syndrome. I admit I've pushed the rules a bit with foods but not crazily. I also find I can eat much faster than I expected and chew slightly less without feeling uncomfortable. I guess I started really cautiously and then tested things out a bit to learn my new limits. The most important thing is to try small things in small steps - after all the last thing I should do it give myself a medical emergency by going too fast (especially with under chewed foods). I'm also aware that my pouch is larger than usual due to scarring but I also have a longer Roux limb to compensate. For that reason I know I need to watch the malabsorption aspect closely.

Marcus - you'll know it when you get it. It didn't kick-in for me until a good few months after surgery. Now I use it as a positive. If I get it, it's because I've over-indulged in something. It's my own fault and I learn from my mistake.

Also, don't necessarily expect restriction. With some bypassers, it never comes. I have never felt restriction. Yet my bypass still works. It's magic.

Big Dave D , hope your well , now youv achieved your great weight loss and your looking great what happens now , do you carry on eating as you have been eating , if so what prevents further weight loss until your very thin , or do you change your diet slowly , will you be Yo -Yoing for the rest of your life so to speak ?

Marcus - you'll know it when you get it. It didn't kick-in for me until a good few months after surgery. Now I use it as a positive. If I get it, it's because I've over-indulged in something. It's my own fault and I learn from my mistake.

Also, don't necessarily expect restriction. With some bypassers, it never comes. I have never felt restriction. Yet my bypass still works. It's magic.

This is good to know Dave. I also haven't experienced dumping and don't normally feel restriction either so just stick to recommended amounts and never been sick either. Weight loss is slow but I am losing again.

Big Dave D , hope your well , now youv achieved your great weight loss and your looking great what happens now , do you carry on eating as you have been eating , if so what prevents further weight loss until your very thin , or do you change your diet slowly , will you be Yo -Yoing for the rest of your life so to speak ?

While the question wasn't directed to me - after a gastric bypass the restriction lasts around eighteen months. Weight loss is intense for the first three months and then it slows down. By eighteen months it usually levels out. As far as becoming underweight - it has happened, it's rare but excessive weight loss is a potential side effect but it isn't typical.

More typically someone will level out at around a BMI of 30 and getting to a BMI of 25 will rely on lifestyle changes such as being physically active and maintaining a healthy diet. It has been known for WLS to fail when someone shows a disregard to the rules and guidelines. However when you don't feel hungry, feel your health improving and see clothes 'fall off' and the scales drop it's not so difficult to motivate yourself to stay pure to the guidelines.

My bypass works so well I can't stop losing weight hence I now have a feeding tube just to keep me stable. A few years ago I would have thought this was a good thing LOL, but it's not, it's quite scary when your BMI gets under 21.

My bypass works so well I can't stop losing weight hence I now have a feeding tube just to keep me stable. A few years ago I would have thought this was a good thing LOL, but it's not, it's quite scary when your BMI gets under 21.

Interesting. Perhaps it's the lingering mentality of a lifetime of failed diets but I've always set a BMI of 30 as being the target. Only being 'overweight' rather than 'obese' would make a big (small?) difference. I haven't really considered that weight loss would continue after this point - at the same time I haven't spoken to any long-termers before who have had problems with ongoing weight loss after hitting their targets, if anything I've heard about the struggle to maintain.

May I ask some details of your surgery and problems. Did you have an extended Roux limb? Are you having problems with foods/dumping syndrome?

image-2224760868.jpg

So I'm not sure if this uploaded but I have a pic of the screen from the hospital a predicted weight loss amounts etc screen it may give people an idea of how they are doing!!

Back