• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

December 2014 Surgeries

Hi all, hope your all well and scales are still heading down! :) Been a while since I've posted, but still being a lurker. The bypass has done so much more for me than help me loose weight, the confidence I have has grown so much. I applied last month to do my final year at university to get my BA (Hons) and today attended an interview for it. I have been offered an unconditional place on my course starting in September, aiming to become an FE lecturer. Then I met a new man a few weeks ago, we are dating at present so love life is looking up, a guy who likes me for me, not likes me because I was fat (what is with those kind of men?!) and finally I am able to walk into Peacocks and buy some clothing off the shelf, not having to ask if they stock out sizes. Happy as a spring lamb at present. Cannot wait until September, my dreams are becoming my realities. :) xxx

My doubts were after the op and why if I lost that amount pre op why didn't I just keep,at it, but I knew I would never have kept at it now I have no option but to be careful. I did on the night before the op want to cancel but I was running late on the morning so didn't have time to think about it lol,:)

Many thanks for your comments , all very appreciated , Like youv said this is life changing ,.......I went into town today , struggled round the few shops I could manage and then went to Tescos .......by the time id got to checkouts I was absolutely shattered ......having COPD was the main problem but carrying alot of excess weight really did not help my poorly lungs ........theres no doubting my lungs need this Op now ,....any thoughts of changing my mind well gone ...........just want to say its great that I can come on here and talk to folk that have been where I am now and have come out the otherside successful ............many many thanks x

Hello there all , can any of you Post Op weight loss folk answer a question for me please .........im trying to look for food I can prepare and cook through the second 2 stages of eating post op .....now looking for soups (blended) and other main meals , is it ok to get recipes and ideas from some of the Slimming World recipe books .......we are told to eat soups (which I love) but not which particular ones we should eat or not eat , same with main dishes really , now im presuming if they are in these books then they should be healthy ..........any advice would be much appreciated , iv a week until D.Day and im trying to do some preparation (and freeze) for after in case I cannot get out and about for a few weeks , not just because of the Op but also I suffer from COPD and cold weather can limit my activity and breathing .........any help or advice would be much appreciated , many thanks

Just watch the fat level and carbs (fat below 3% and carbs below 5% during the recovery period). Otherwise anything that can be blended or is already smooth should be ok.

Thanks for that Marcus , im mainly looking at the veg soups and there are a couple (butternut squash being one) that I aim to do as it says they are extra healthy .........I will get hang of this , sorry if anyone thinks I ask alot of silly questions but im determind to do this 100% ....thanks

There is no such thing as a silly question. I had fish in sauce with a bit of mash blended down, easy to do and I used one portion for about three meals along with shepherds pie and mash, bit of taste and easy to get down. You can make you won with the shepherds pie I had blended veg sometimes just added in. I found not blending it all together was better as it looked much better.

Actually Mouse the fish in sauce is one thing I was going to do as I love fish , and your idea of not blending all together is great , thanks for that , I was a bit worried id never be able to have spiced food again but the recipes iv found are spicy so alls good , iv never tried butter nut squash or sweet potatoes before but iv found to smooth soups that sound delicilous im going to make and freeze this week ready ,,.......

Hi I lived on spicy before the op and that was one of my worries no curry ever :( but I only do home made any way and I'm fine along with my favourite tandoor. The portions are just much smaller but it's fine. The only thing I have noticed is things like Mexican food now taste so hot it's silly. We eat with our eyes so mashing everything up in to a mess is no appetising so you don't enjoy it, you need to eat each food separate like it would normally be served. I would leave the spicy food along for a good few weeks wait until your eating as normal as possible and start with something like a weight watchers meal remembering to eat the meat first you can live with out rice. :)

I was never a spicy food fan before my op, but now I seem to love chilli (with a small amount of brown rice) with medium chilli powder in, before I'd have it very mild. Funny how tastes change. How are you feeling now Marcus, hope everything is going dandy out there. :) xx

Feeling a lot better. The problem was stopping Lansoprazole after three months. To put a positive spin on it the result was a week of very restricted food and now it feels as if I've had a pouch reset and am back on target. Since then I've been having more home cooked meals with simple ingredients and seem more sensitive to harder textures, essentially it's taken me back to where I was about six weeks post-op. I'm topping up more with protein shakes, which helps my liquid intake as well, which has been lacking a bit. I've had problems drinking and sometimes need to vomit after a small drink - oddly liquids seem to affect me more than soft foods.

Fish and jacket potato seem to be the foods of choice although I know there are a lot of hidden carbs in potatoes, however due to portion size my weight is still dropping at around 1.6kg/week.

Having a bit of a clothing crisis as my existing clobber is looking increasingly baggy. I'll hunt out a tailor and get a couple of pairs of trousers made up as that's the most urgent and later will get some of my t-shirts/shirts re-tailored as an interim measure before buying new clothes once my weight starts to stabilise.

Still having problem with arthritis in my hips. I thought it would improve more dramatically with weight loss but it seems that I will need hip resurfacing at some point but I know that's almost impossible to get on the NHS without being totally immobilised so I'll need to learn to continue to restrict my work options.

I found that out with my osteoarthritis, I thought I would be more mobile than I am and in less pain, but this is not the case. I found myself running out of pain killers and I realised I was taking to many. I have had some improvement but nothing like I was expecting, maybe there will be an improvement in months to come.

I found that out with my osteoarthritis, I thought I would be more mobile than I am and in less pain, but this is not the case. I found myself running out of pain killers and I realised I was taking to many. I have had some improvement but nothing like I was expecting, maybe there will be an improvement in months to come.

I'm trying not to take painkillers but when I walk a lot it flares up. The worst place is in supermarkets.

Why are you trying NOT to take pain killers Marcus when it seems you need them , iv got Osteopenia and I have to take 4 Zapain a day to get by , tho hoping weight loss will stop this

Mostly because I'm low in supply and getting Zapain here is difficult so I'll be limited to Paracetamol once I run out. I take it on bad pain days rather than on 'average' pain days.

Hi every one just wondering how you all are getting on weight loss wise and food you are all managing!!? I was 20 4 day of my op dec 22nd I'm 16.1 now so really pleased I can manage almost any food now just seem to have a problem with milk and some dairy milk based foods it makes me feel sick now I used to love milk I also do get a sugar dump so not much sugar which is good it keeps me in check! just intrigued as to where you all are with foods and weight loss having my gastric band took out and bypass being done was the best thing ever I am so happy no reflux either which was the main reason for the revision surgery!! Xx

Hi every one just wondering how you all are getting on weight loss wise and food you are all managing!!? I was 20 4 day of my op dec 22nd I'm 16.1 now so really pleased I can manage almost any food now just seem to have a problem with milk and some dairy milk based foods it makes me feel sick now I used to love milk I also do get a sugar dump so not much sugar which is good it keeps me in check! just intrigued as to where you all are with foods and weight loss having my gastric band took out and bypass being done was the best thing ever I am so happy no reflux either which was the main reason for the revision surgery!! Xx

I think the best way to compare is by looking at BMI as we're all different heights (I'm 5'11" for example). I do note your BMI is similar to mine pre-(revision)op and your current BMI is also not that different. Personally I haven't had a problem with milk or dumping.

I'm 12 months post op, but dumping has only really kicked in badly these last 3 months or so.

We're all different. It's weird...

My scale just shattered. The irony is it happened when a friend stepped on it. He's about 60kg - half my weight.

Back