• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diabtes and surgery

snow queen

Hi, I am thinking about a gastric bypass, I have the funding but the more I read about it, the more I am unsure as to whether I can cope with it all, plus I am diabetic, does anyone know if this will make further complications.

Thanks

Hi snow queen, there's plenty of info on this site as well as plenty of experience.
I have type 2 diabetes and have been informed by my consultant that there's every chance that the gastric bypass procedure can cure my diabetes. Worst case it will merely improve.
No surgery is risk free, but in my case I believe the pros certainly outweigh any cons.
Have you been to a seminar yet?
What type of diabetes do you have?

Diabetes can be much improved, to the point where you no longer need tablets or insulin. Word of warning however - some people find that if they don't eat right it comes back. As for the changes, it is very normal to feel anxious - its a huge lifestyle choice, and the fact that you are worried is a sign that you're taking it very seriously and are aware its a big step. I can only advise that you read through some of the post RNY diaries on here - I personally am 6 months out now and I love my bypass. It has meant big changes, the whole family eats differently now and I have to be organised in terms of food preparation and buying the right foods. However, I still love my food! I enjoy it even more now if that's possible and each bite has to be full of flavour. I have been lucky so far with no complications but even people who have had complications often say they don't regret the surgery.

Hi, I know my diabetes will be much better as that is the reason I am gaining weight, it seems no matter how much I cut down on food and exercise, (I have had a personal trainer for several years now and attended the gym once a week, I cant afford any more,) the weight will simply not shift. I am type 2 treated with Insulin, which makes you hungry. I must admit that I was more confident about the surgery before joining this forum, although there are lots of happy ending stories, there are also lots of horror one's which is putting me off the idea of going ahead with the surgery, I dont think I could cope with it, also I am 64 years old. I have not yet chosen my hospital and I understand there are long waiting lists, sometimes as much as 18 months. I think I need a lot more indepth information from the medical experts, which I assume I will get once I have chosen, I understand you have to go for an assessement before anything is done, is this correct please. ? and is this where I would get the advice that I need.

Thank you very much and for your earlier replies :)

Hi, I am thinking about a gastric bypass, I have the funding but the more I read about it, the more I am unsure as to whether I can cope with it all, plus I am diabetic, does anyone know if this will make further complications.

Thanks

I think it depends on your personal circumstances, and without information no one can advise you really. What else have you tried to lose weight? And how successful has it been? I did lots of reading around the subject and talked to a couple of people who I knew who had had different procedures. However as others have said, if you have type 2 diabetes this may actually improve to the point that you can reduce or come off your medications.

Weight decrease and health eating can be nothing but good for a diabetic type one or two!

If you have not been successful in other ways of trying to loose weight...then surgery may be the answer you have been looking for! Good luck in whatever you choose. x

Back