• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

band before or after holiday?

jaynel

hi, think i have made a decision to have a gastric band to help with weight loss, but am a little worried about our forthcoming holiday. we are going to mallorca on 25th july, and am unsure whether to have it done within the next month, or closer to our hol. am not worried about not being able to eat much on holiday, but i do like a drink (whereas i dont usually drink), and i am a little worried in case of any complications and being so far away from home. Can anybody offer any advice please x

After for sure. Your surgeon will not want you to travel anywhere till at least 8 weeks after op just in case there are any complications etc. Enjoy you holiday first x

lol but i am so impatient to have it done. Am not worried about being unable to eat on holiday - i go for the sun, and just a little wine! Can youtell me why all your replies have been against having it done before my hol (especially if i have it done within the next 3 weeks). thanks in advance x

hi. can you tell me why you are advising band after hol - not going till 25th july, and am anxious to get the band in x

My opinion of after us based on experience. You will have life changing eating habits. Alcohol will probably be a no, my provider was 6 months. Plus you can potentially get absolutely legless on a thimbleful of alcohol. You will be the ultimate cheap date. Plus, if you have problems you want to be in the UK. You may get travel insurance or not, my annual policy counts banding as cosmetic thus I am not covered. I wouldn't be testing my EHIC card with this sort of procedure. A cosmetic surgeon told me this week you shouldn't get sun on your scars for at least 2 months as it can make them go red. Hence, after !!

I went to the USA around four weeks after my band was fitted, with my surgeons full approval. I was absolutely fine. I had just gone onto solid food, but took backups of slimfasts etc or in case I had any problems. But I didn't. Kept myself hydrated and at the point in time my restriction was practically zero, so the band didn't tighten on the plane even though I was worried it would. I am not a big drinker and did avoid alcohol though.

I was covered by the travel insurance on my bank account as normal, as when I phoned the policy underwriters, they advised me as I had chosen to have it done, rather than it being upon referral of my GP, it didn't count against me at all.

Worth a discussion with your provider methinks, and a shop around for insurance...good luck :)

thank you for all your replies. having it done this side of the hol would be better for me as it will be hader to get time of work after. Flutterby: i was thinking if i just had the band fitted, then i could have my first fill after my hol, although i am not worried about having to cut down on food, i do like a glass of wine on hol (i dont normally drink). i will check all this out with my provider (mr super at the dolan clinic) of course before i go ahead x

I would get it done before too! its only April, your holiday is over two months away. In my humble opinion, theres nothing worse than feeling fat and miserable on holiday, would you feel like this, or would you still enjoy it? If you have your band at least you will be on your way to your weight loss goal.

Speak to your provider, as you said and good luck on your weight loss journey xx

hi - i ALWAYS feel fat on holiday!!! hopefully next year i will not! i will speak to the dolan clinic and say what they think about it, although i am always worried they will give you the answer you want just to get your money xx

Go for it now x you could be a couple of stone down by your holiday.

You will be able to have a drink. I think THG advice booklet said avoid alcohol for the first 2 weeks post op.

I would have the op then start fills after hols x

Back