• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diet Club or No Diet Club??Opinions Please

Val

Committed Weight Loser
So right now I am sitting here in floods of tears,:cry:

For many years I have dieted and I know that I never loose weight quickly no matter how little I eat and survive on..that's just a fact for me

I always knew that having a band was my last attempt at my diet lifestyle

So I have had a band and I'm still not loosing weight quickly..this is making me very sad..
I am following all the rules, 20/20/20, correct foods correct drinks..no alcohol, No deviating from my new life style..so what I want to ask your opinion about is quite simply this

Should I remain at 'Slimming World' only to put myself under stress and anxiety every week knowing that I do not loose weight efficiently,
yet again, this week, after another perfect week following all the guidelines I have remained the same weigh, it totally destroys me to have to explain to people at the club that I am not losing when I have dieted I know some look as though to say..mmmmmm yes well she could not be following a diet and not loose weight..so what do I do :confused:
I felt I needed the weekly support but I feel like I am going to the gallows each week..
But the bigger question is why am I not loosing some weight every week..it should be with what I am eating that I loose??

I even sat through a Christmas meal yesterday and left most of the food saying no to anything deemed calorific or festive.....

I can do this but I need to loose some weight on a regular basis...in 4 weeks I have only lost 4 and a half pounds for a woman with what I have to loose I should have doubled that easily
I must have cut my calorie intake by at least 2/3 of what I used to eat..
so why am I not loosing efficiently....... :(
If the answer is Im not at restriction yet that will only mean I will eat even less...and I am not eating that much anyway

Sorry to be so depressive but I need this to work
Thank you for any suggestions

So Do I stay at SW or not. What do you all think??

Maybe the S W diet isn't for you? What about trying WW or Rosemary Connerly maybe one of those will suit your body better if you feel you need the support of a group :) Good luck with whatever you decide.

Maybe the S W diet isn't for you? What about trying WW or Rosemary Connerly maybe one of those will suit your body better if you feel you need the support of a group :) Good luck with whatever you decide.

To be fair Im not really doing SW to the letter I am counting calories and eating High protein low fat low carbs....
I don't think its the type of Club, the problem I have is the pressure Im putting myself under to perform on a weekly basis??

Im wondering if its the right thing to do when I know I don't loose weight weekly???

To be fair Im not really doing SW to the letter I am counting calories and eating High protein low fat low carbs....
I don't think its the type of Club, the problem I have is the pressure Im putting myself under to perform on a weekly basis??

Im wondering if its the right thing to do when I know I don't loose weight weekly???

Doesn't sound as if its doing you any good and its certainly lightening your purse give it a miss for a while and continue doing your own thing :)

I agree, you are paying to be stressed. Not good to your emotional well being or your purse!

Does your area have NHS health trainers or is there a nurse or HCA at your GPs surgery that you can arrange to chat with on a regular basis? That will be just between the two of you and nobody else need know. xx

Val, don't be too hard on yourself. You are losing weight at a rate of more than a pound a week which is excellent. Over a year it represents a loss of about 5 stones. Some weeks you will lose more, some weeks you will lose less, but if you are being honest with yourself you have nothing to reproach yourself about and you will get there.Don't compare yourself with others, we all lose at different rates. I am very happy with a pound a week and can see my end target in sight some time next year, I am just delighted that I am not putting weight on as I always have as soon as I have taken my eye off the ball. Be proud of what you have achieved and accept that it will take time to reach your goal but as your life is now going to be longer than it would have been without WLS you actually do have time to get there
You are doing great, keep it up!

I have vowed and promised myself that I will never ever set foot inside any kind of slimming club again. I don't believe in them - all this talk of being good and focussing so much on food. Slim people don't do this.
Read Paul McKenna. I have been to his seminars and also Pete Cohen they both talk a lot of sense.
I, too, have found it impossible to lose weight in the past. At one point the Dr sent me for all sorts of tests and came to the conclusion that I simply wasn't eating enough and my body had gone into starvation mode and would not give it up! Sure enough when I started eating a little bit more the weight started to move. I was sure that nobody believed me when I told them what I was eating and I thought I was going mad too.
The whole point of this band, in my opinion, is to help us think and behave like slim people, ie eating slowly, stopping when full and making food secondary in our lives.

Please don't beat yourself up. You are doing really well and look lovely. It will happen, but you need to relax. Stress in itself releases a hormone that stops you losing weight, so really you are doing more harm than good in so many ways. Give yourself a break, enjoy life, enjoy today - you don't have tomorrow. Let the band do its job and see what happens in a couple of months time. It's long term.

I have vowed and promised myself that I will never ever set foot inside any kind of slimming club again. I don't believe in them - all this talk of being good and focussing so much on food. Slim people don't do this.
Read Paul McKenna. I have been to his seminars and also Pete Cohen they both talk a lot of sense.
I, too, have found it impossible to lose weight in the past. At one point the Dr sent me for all sorts of tests and came to the conclusion that I simply wasn't eating enough and my body had gone into starvation mode and would not give it up! Sure enough when I started eating a little bit more the weight started to move. I was sure that nobody believed me when I told them what I was eating and I thought I was going mad too.
The whole point of this band, in my opinion, is to help us think and behave like slim people, ie eating slowly, stopping when full and making food secondary in our lives.

Please don't beat yourself up. You are doing really well and look lovely. It will happen, but you need to relax. Stress in itself releases a hormone that stops you losing weight, so really you are doing more harm than good in so many ways. Give yourself a break, enjoy life, enjoy today - you don't have tomorrow. Let the band do its job and see what happens in a couple of months time. It's long term.

I really enjoyed reading the responses it makes such a difference to come to this forum and know that people care enough to type a lovely response full of sensible suggestions
Thank you very much xxx

Val, don't be too hard on yourself. You are losing weight at a rate of more than a pound a week which is excellent. Over a year it represents a loss of about 5 stones. Some weeks you will lose more, some weeks you will lose less, but if you are being honest with yourself you have nothing to reproach yourself about and you will get there.Don't compare yourself with others, we all lose at different rates. I am very happy with a pound a week and can see my end target in sight some time next year, I am just delighted that I am not putting weight on as I always have as soon as I have taken my eye off the ball. Be proud of what you have achieved and accept that it will take time to reach your goal but as your life is now going to be longer than it would have been without WLS you actually do have time to get there
You are doing great, keep it up!

Thank you Slaz...your comments made a lot of sense and helped me too xxx

I have been to every slimming club going, and they're not for me. I can see the appeal - support, the idea of being held to account once a week, but I find the temptation of comparing myself to others just too strong.

1-2lbs per week is nothing to cry over - the band isn't a quick fix, it's a long, slow process. You're doing the right things, and the weight IS moving, please don't be so hard on yourself.

I also love Paul McKenna. I've never been to a seminar, but I read the book a few weeks ago and it's very much like eating with a band - eating only when hungry, eating slowly and consciously, stopping when full but not stuffed. I have listened to the hypnosis cd - I don't know if it is doing anything but it was incredibly relaxing!

Ultimately this is your decision. If you can take the benefits of SW without using it to beat yourself up, that's great and it's well worth carrying on. If it just makes you feel bad every week then why fork out money for it? Save your weekly fee and treat yourself to a pedicure once a month, it'll make you feel happier! (((hugs)))

Hi, there is two parts to weight loss without both weight will come off slower. Eating small health meals and regular exercise . You haven't mentioned the exercise if your not able to do normal exercise your GP should be able to ref you to someone that can develop a programme for you. Chin up and good luck. X

read your post Val and how you feel, because I think you already have your answer to be honest. ThIS should NOT be you going to the gallows, we expect having surgery to be a quick fix and it's not. 1-2lb is still a slow loss, but it's one that is healthy and manageable, but we all have stalls and gains whatever we follow.

But if you feel that stress but want to weigh in and support, go to your GP or nurse and spare yourself the heartache that you don't need

I'm not a bander, but I want to say that stress will not be helping with the weight loss. I was under a lot of stress for 6 weeks recently. During this time I ate the same as I always did, but I didn't lose at all. When the stress was gone I lost 12 lbs over 2 weeks, and I was 8 months post op at the time. If it was me, I would ditch the club, and see how I felt on my own. After all the slimming club wont go away, if you change you mind

I'm not a bander, but I want to say that stress will not be helping with the weight loss. I was under a lot of stress for 6 weeks recently. During this time I ate the same as I always did, but I didn't lose at all. When the stress was gone I lost 12 lbs over 2 weeks, and I was 8 months post op at the time. If it was me, I would ditch the club, and see how I felt on my own. After all the slimming club wont go away, if you change you mind

Thank you for your support..wise words xxxxxx

read your post Val and how you feel, because I think you already have your answer to be honest. ThIS should NOT be you going to the gallows, we expect having surgery to be a quick fix and it's not. 1-2lb is still a slow loss, but it's one that is healthy and manageable, but we all have stalls and gains whatever we follow.

But if you feel that stress but want to weigh in and support, go to your GP or nurse and spare yourself the heartache that you don't need

Thank you TK, you have summoned it up for me really...
Im off to phone the Nurse weight loss support at my local GP's
Thank you TK xxxxx

Telephones weight loss support at my GP cannot get in until 2nd Jan so will have to be patient until then..
Thank Goodness I have you guys for support xx
:gen126:

The responses on here are great, thank you all for your wisdom. For me, I'm not going near a diet club because I'm not on a diet. The weight is and will continue to come off. I'm eating the way a slim person eats and they're not constantly stressing themselves out over dieting.

For the first time in what feels like my life, I have complete freedom from the constant stress, guilt and worry that I lived with 24/7 about where the next meal was coming from, how much could I eat, planning trips out based around food, how I could sneak food in etc.

So am I going back to that stress and guilt? Like hell I am! I'm not dieting, I'm eating the way I should, I'M BEING NORMAL! and it feels great :)

The responses on here are great, thank you all for your wisdom. For me, I'm not going near a diet club because I'm not on a diet. The weight is and will continue to come off. I'm eating the way a slim person eats and they're not constantly stressing themselves out over dieting.

For the first time in what feels like my life, I have complete freedom from the constant stress, guilt and worry that I lived with 24/7 about where the next meal was coming from, how much could I eat, planning trips out based around food, how I could sneak food in etc.

So am I going back to that stress and guilt? Like hell I am! I'm not dieting, I'm eating the way I should, I'M BEING NORMAL! and it feels great :)

More wise words Thank you xxx

Back