• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

No weight loss after gastric bypass

jambo1

Help !!
Is there anyone out there that has stopped loosing weight soon after their operation? I lost 25 lbs in five weeks during the pre op and post op phase but have now had to go onto insulin again and since ( 9 days) I have not lost an ounce of weight. My dietician does not believe me when I say I am absolutely sticking to the diet. I believe that it is the insulin that is making it more difficult to loose weight. At this stage I should be loosing at least 3 lbs per week. If anyone can explain what may be causing this I would be very, very grateful. Thank you

Help !!
Is there anyone out there that has stopped loosing weight soon after their operation? I lost 25 lbs in five weeks during the pre op and post op phase but have now had to go onto insulin again and since ( 9 days) I have not lost an ounce of weight. My dietician does not believe me when I say I am absolutely sticking to the diet. I believe that it is the insulin that is making it more difficult to loose weight. At this stage I should be loosing at least 3 lbs per week. If anyone can explain what may be causing this I would be very, very grateful. Thank you
Hi are you type 1 insulin dependant diabetic? i am and although i have reduced my insulin intake dramatically i still have to have a certain amount of carbs in my diet but sticking to it the best i can. Insulin is an artificial hormone and it can cause weight gain it did me prior to bypass, i only lose 2-3lbs a week but in some weeks it's just a 1lb this week though i have not lost a thing. Stick with it hun it can feel depressing not losing when you know you're sticking to the regime. your not on your own with this one. xxx

Can I ask what your typical day is like foodwise? If you could list it out with quantity and frequency I might be able to offer some advice. Unfortunately the diatetic advice we receive from professionals sometimes isn't very helpful but experience of a fellow bypasser can do the trick.

Nic;)

Can I ask what your typical day is like foodwise? If you could list it out with quantity and frequency I might be able to offer some advice. Unfortunately the diatetic advice we receive from professionals sometimes isn't very helpful but experience of a fellow bypasser can do the trick.

Nic;)
Hi Nic, this is what i ate yesterday
calcium & vit D, multivitamin, thyroxine, insulin
breakfast: 1 slice of wholemeal nimble toast with smooth peanut butter
Snack: 1 ski yogurt
Lunch small salad with a slice of chicken breast, 1 small bannana
Snack: Glass of skimmed milk
Dinner: 2 small new potatoes,rataouille (couldnt eat much of it)
Snack: yogurt
loads of fluids through the day.

I would be grateful for any assistance you could give me. xxxx

it could be an early plataue while your body is catching up with the fact your eating so little that with the insulin could be it, im a bander so cant answer more than that but i take dieticians with a pinch of salt now after mine said it bread and pasta lol

Hi hun, you are now 4 months out correct? I would say at first glance you are carb heavy but I know that you need that to balance the insulin. You also seem to be low on protein. You are eating 6 times per day which at your stage you might want to consider 3 meals and 1 snack instead of 3 meals and 3 snacks. I ran your intake through a food calculator and this is what I got:

Total calories: 828
Carbs: 137g (accounting for 522 calories)
Protein: 40g (accounting for 160 calories)
Fat: 17g (accounting for 146 calories)

That means that carbs make up 63% of you diet and protein makes up only 19%.

This is a low cal breakfast, can you fit in the yogurt first and then the toast?

Focus on the protein, make sure it is what you eat the most of, reduce amount of salad or make it a half banana so you can get more protein in, you could add nuts to your salad or a hard bolied egg

You should have a solid protein here like eggs, fish, chicken, beef and skip the potatoes because they limit what else you can get in.

It is advisable for gastric bypassers to get 80g of lean protein per day, if this is a typical day you are only getting half of that. You are not having much solid protein which will keep you full and give you more energy throughout the day. Try switching out your liquid/soft proteins like milk & yogurt for solids or use protein supplements. With protein supplements you will get double the protein with less carbs.

Please remember that these are just suggestions and I am in no way suggesting you should go against any professional advice you have been given, I am just telling you what I would do. I am not a health professional and can only speak from my own experience and research. Best of luck.

Nic;)

Hi hun, you are now 4 months out correct? I would say at first glance you are carb heavy but I know that you need that to balance the insulin. You also seem to be low on protein. You are eating 6 times per day which at your stage you might want to consider 3 meals and 1 snack instead of 3 meals and 3 snacks. I ran your intake through a food calculator and this is what I got:

Total calories: 828
Carbs: 137g (accounting for 522 calories)
Protein: 40g (accounting for 160 calories)
Fat: 17g (accounting for 146 calories)

That means that carbs make up 63% of you diet and protein makes up only 19%.

This is a low cal breakfast, can you fit in the yogurt first and then the toast?

Focus on the protein, make sure it is what you eat the most of, reduce amount of salad or make it a half banana so you can get more protein in, you could add nuts to your salad or a hard bolied egg

You should have a solid protein here like eggs, fish, chicken, beef and skip the potatoes because they limit what else you can get in.

It is advisable for gastric bypassers to get 80g of lean protein per day, if this is a typical day you are only getting half of that. You are not having much solid protein which will keep you full and give you more energy throughout the day. Try switching out your liquid/soft proteins like milk & yogurt for solids or use protein supplements. With protein supplements you will get double the protein with less carbs.

Please remember that these are just suggestions and I am in no way suggesting you should go against any professional advice you have been given, I am just telling you what I would do. I am not a health professional and can only speak from my own experience and research. Best of luck.

Nic;)
Thanks Nic we always get good advice from you. i will have a go at your suggestions the reason for 6 meals a day still is due to the insulin intakes and adjustments some days it's ok and i dont have to have the six a day. I did try the protein powder twice but was sick each time.(i still have it and will try it again) what can you suggest protein bars instead? I really appreciate your help. xxx

I use Atkins bars and I think they are pretty good. You could also try the unflavoured protein powder which can be added to food, (put in a gravy or sauce over meat would be good), I have heard that can be a good option as well. It is all trial and error I am afraid but we can learn from each other so let me know how you get on!

Nic;)

Nic, just found the thread regarding protein shots, can you tell me if i got them is it one a day? thanks hun xxx

Yes, you could do the 42g once a day and you would be golden on your protein. Then as time goes on and you can eat a bit more volume of protein per day you could switch to the 25g ones or stop them completely if you are getting enough protein. If you treat them like medicine and just drink them down you should be fine. Some people don't like the taste, I am not one of those people but I think I am in the minority, lol! I add them to my sports bottle of water and sip on them for hours but that's me and I like the taste. To each their own!

Nic:cool:

Back