• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dietician, Psychiatrist and Physician

SleeveGirl

Hi All,

On Thur 18th April I have my dietician, psychiatrist and physician appointment... Can anyone tell me what to expect please?

Hi sleevegirl, it's nothing to worry abt. Dietician goes through your eating habits, psychiatrist will ask u more or less what you think has made you gain weight, and see if you have researched the op, basically checking you are mentally prepared for this.I saw the consultant who asked me some questions about my past and why i preferred the bypass to any other, he then reccomended bypass, also asks about past medical issues. You'll prob have an ECG and bloods taken. That's what mine consisted of anyways x hope this helps a little x

Hi hon, L&Ds triple may be different for private patients, but as an nhs patient I was given the milk diet by the dietician, checked over by the psychologist and then had the checks for whether I was suitable. Not sure for you though - it may be different.

Thank you Butterfly & Yve :) Definitely now know what to expect :)

Hi there,

I'm a pre op'er and have and a consult with WLS Group I can't remember that being discussed at our meeting if I'm honest though I'm not saying it wasn't I think I over concentrated on what was being discussed if that makes sense.

I have had a telephone consult tho with another provider where I practically took minutes of the whole conversation lol and I was informed of what butterfly has explained above. I was also told that the panel of experts will all need to agree I am mentally and physically ready for the op then a final decision will be made. It was also reassuring to know that even though I would be paying for the operation privately there are no short cuts and I will have to go through the same processes as an Nhs patient but obviously at a quicker pace. A minimum of 5 weeks from start to finish she told me. The nurse was very reassuring and told me not to worry about those appointments

Sorry babbling..hope it helps slightly

Fraggle.

Definitely helps, thank you hun :) I'm glad no short cuts are taken :) It's one hour for each appointment and I'm starting at half 4, so I'll be out of there hopefully at half 7 - it's going to be a long one! Good to get it all the appts over and done with in one day though :) x

Ah that will be good getting all appointments done in one day, tiring but worth it I reckon as its over with. Look forward to hearing how it went.

Frag.

Please post when you've been as im interested to know what it entails too, Not got my date through yet but i'll be there soon lol

Hi,

I have had my appointments with the Dietician, Anaesthetic and Consultant all in one day.

Dietician went through all the different stages of food that we can eat before and after.
Anaesthetic went throught my medication that I am taking and my general health.
Consultant, we discussed my wl history, what wls I would like, watched a video, my medication and signed the consent form there and then.

Apparently as there was no problems and the consultant approved me I didnt need to see the Physician.

I have a meeting in May for a Psychiatric Screening, which sounds quite scary to me, but hopefully after that I should get my date, yay.

Good luck with your appointments :)

Many thanks for your reply snowwhite :) x

Hi beckers, it went really well thanks. The physician went through all my medical history, then he listened to my heart, chest, etc. He asked what research I'd done, what I expect after surgery. I then saw the dietician, who went through pre and post op diet, she showed me what happens to the stomach. The dietician has agreed that I don't have to do the milk diet (I will do high protein, low carb) which is great because milk makes me feel so sick. Then lastly I saw the psychologist, this was a more difficult one, she asked questions like, have I ever been depressed, tried to commit suicide, self harmed, etc. She sensed I was anxious and she asked why, I said I wasn't anxious about the appointment anymore I was worried about the anesthetic and dying during surgery (sorry to be morbid) and leaving my daughter - then I burst out crying - which was totally unexpected!! But I was approved :)
One question they ALL asked is how are you going to cope with loose skin if you have it. Apparently you should have a good answer for this (especially for the phycologist). x

If you dont mind me asking, what did you say about the loose skin question? I personally am not that fussed about it, id rather have the loose skin than the fat, and if anyone has a problem with it then, its their problem :)

What I said is basically what you have just said. I said I would much rather have loose skin and weigh less and be healthier than the way I am now. I said I know how I felt last time I lost a lot of weight and I want that feeling back. Also said I am prepared that it may require another surgery, but I'll cross that bridge if needed. x

Back