• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PSYCHIATRIST APPOINTMENT

I have been told I need to see a psychiatrist and the next app isn't until march 2015. Has anyone else had to attend this appointment, what happens and what do they ask? Etc

I had a few about 6 sessions over 18 months trying to find out what type of eater I was how I thought about food and how to deal with the issues I have I did attend 1 group session of about 12 people .I guess each area does it different
it was a great help and im sure you may find it useful its nothing I think to worry about

What a shame you have to wait a long time. I thought I would have to see a psych as I have only put on my weight since I suffered severe postnatal depression and I am loads of drugs, but they seemed quite happy that i had been fully discharged by the psych and community services recently. Guess what I am saying is don't worry about it as a general rule they are at the more decent end of the medical community and aren't in to judging us

k

I had a few about 6 sessions over 18 months trying to find out what type of eater I was how I thought about food and how to deal with the issues I have I did attend 1 group session of about 12 people .I guess each area does it different it was a great help and im sure you may find it useful its nothing I think to worry about

I can't possibly go through another 18 months #cries

poor you. I was really well and managing my mental health symptoms very well so they didn't ask me to see any mental health professionals after the op. I had expected it as I can go off pretty quickly and hospitals are a big trigger for me.

I would go and see your GP, they may be able to help (sort of depends how good they are). Also how about recontacting your surgeon and finding out why you need to see the psych, perhaps you could see them privately and quickly.

What I can say is its worth the battle, keeping going and battling for the surgery big hugs and hope you feel a little better today.

k

Fingers crossed your journey may be different I see when reading other people's paths vary in length depending on where you live ive read some on here that were much shorter time than mine , maybe you should talk to your gp to get an idea of time span
from what I understood my time span wasnt that bad
good luck

I was told I had to see the psychiatrist as a final sign off but there was a long wait so I too lost hope but then as I was already seeing a psychotherapist on the NHS and a psychiatrist I had them both write to my bariatric team to say that I was fit to proceed with surgery and that they would support me through it.

Following this I managed to arrange a chat on the phone with the bariatric psychiatrist at the end of which she said she was happy for me to go ahead with surgery and we didn't need to meet - I had surgery 3 weeks later.

It might be worth trying this approach or even just asking for a chat on the phone to see if you can speed things up.

Fingers crossed. X

Thanks guys. I'm not currently seeing a psychiatrist so not sure what to do now. I have contacted the dietician to ask why I need to see one as she supposedly was the person who suggested it. She's off until Monday. I might make a appointment with my Dr and see what she suggests.

Spoke with my Dr this afternoon, she reassured me that they don't think I'm going mental but this is routine in our area and they have to dot the i's and cross the T's. She also said, this is a appointment for me to understand the huge changes to my life after surgery. They can't push for appointment to be earlier as they didn't make referral but nothing to stop me bugging them.

I will give it a few weeks and make another call.

Back