• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

difference between the LOOP & ROUX EN Y???

kellyhymas

Hello had camera done today and on waiting list finally however it was briefly discussed i would have sleeve however at my last appointment consultant said he would prefer me to have the bypass as im a snacker and young. i agreed. However after the camera today he gave me my consent form for operation which could be up to 6 months away and on the camera report he has stated i will be getting the "mini" and he circled LOOP. what is difference? any problems? i thought there was just one a brief google search didnt help me much just a few people saying loop more dangerous, more chance of leaking. not a good choice etc any one shred some light on this for me as i am feeling rather scared now. many thanks in advance. x x kelly x x

sorry Kelly never heard of it xxx I didn't have bypass so maybe the people who have had will know xxx is it a surgeon anyone will recognise his name it might be the way he words things and just be same as other :) good luck x

just on the consent form for the operation which i have to keep and then bring with me when i get operation date etc. but nurse said you will get a pre op prior to this. it says laparoscopic gastric bypass ( ROUX EN Y or LOOP GASTRIC BYPASS ) he has circled LOOP and before sedation today he said something about the above, about which one he would decide on and he would let me know on the form. i have two forms one is the results from camera which i says on comments normal and another word cant make it out then it says something else like its a short code for something but cant make it out lol then LOOP (MINI) something BYPASS

think someone else on here is having a mini bypass thats what it is I think, am not sure really whta thye do. Start a thread with mini bypass on it and see what happens if no response to this one xx

From everything I've read it is similar to the sleeve but has malabsorption. Less risk than bypass, similar average weight loss. poor choice if you suffer from reflux, but otherwise looks okay on paper.

Kelly I've just done a google search for you and this appears to be the difference between a "mini" gastric bypass (also known as "loop" gastric bypass) and the RNY procedure:

Mini Gastric Bypass Weight Loss Surgery information in Phoenix Arizona (AZ)

They are fairly similar.

It is not a sleeve and you have put on your User CP info down the left hand side "sleeve". Both of these operations are *bypasses* they:

(1) bypass a portion of intestine.
(2) create a new separate pouch (of slightly different shapes)
(3) leave the rest of the redundant stomach in the body

The sleeve does not do any of the above.

Attachments

• 7 mini gastric bypass with RNY.jpg
    7 mini gastric bypass with RNY.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 242
Sharonimo! that link was the most self explanatory info on the bypass roux n y and mini that I have ever read. I understand now exactly what goes where lol!! thank you..

Mr M mentioned the loop to me, but I didn't want to confuse things any further so went for full bypass as that is the one they have most historical evidence for in regard to long-term affects.

Think the loop is something new to the scene at Sunderland but has been around for some time - its very similar to bypass but I looks like they join the old stomach to the pouch instead of joining it further down the intestines - think he said it helps with digestion of food from the pouch as your old stomach still produces enzymes to do this; plus its a quicker/less complicated op to do. It looks like there's only one join with the loop - eg old stomach intestine to pouch; rather than pouch to intestine and old stomach intestine to intestine. If this makes any sense! I could be totally wrong of course, Mr M only mentined it briefly. Not sure how many they have done at Sunderland.

Back