• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you lose any weight on the pre op diet

sukies

Hi All, ive put on a couple of pounds since my last appointment at the hospital and im just waiting for my date for the op. the last time i seen the doctor was 6 weeks ago but i don't know how long i have to wait for this letter, it's killing me! ive tried to lose the weight again but im struggling and im scared that the doctor will refuse to operate if i can't lose it. ive managed to lose 4 stone so far so i was wondering if i went on the pre op diet would i lose the weight....do you lose weight on this diet or is it just to shrink your liver?
please help......

sue:break_diet:

The purpose of the pre op diet is too shrink ur liver....however most ppl do lose some weight with it, this is just an added bonus but as I stated the purpose for it is too shrink ur liver....All the best Julie xxx

Hi hun, I was bypassed at SRH and from last appt to surgery date was 18 weeks so don't panic you have plenty of time xxxxx if it helps i replaced 1 meal a day with a slim fast and i always used to take water tabs a few days before op that helped shift the extra couple of pounds ;o) xxxxx

First thing is.............stop panicking!! By the sound of it you have quite a bit of time to put things right. You need to get your head in gear and motivate yourself. Just think how much this op means to you.......are you prepared to throw it away for the sake of loosing a few pounds?? I dont think you are.....you obviously really want and need this op so you have to keep reminding yourself of this. Every time you feel like eating something you know isnt good just think to yourself "do I want to eat this more than I want my op?" I hope you can manage to get back on track as I know what a great difference this op can make to your life :D Dont throw it away, grab it with both hands (HUG)XX

Ive always found that your head needs to be in the right place to lose weight, otherwise you are fighting against yourself.

I lost 13 pounds on my pre-op which i was supposed to be on for 2 weeks, BUT 5 weeks before my op i cut out all fatting stuff, 4 weeks i made my meals smaller, and 3 weeks before the op i started the pre-op diet.

Its purpose is to shrink your liver, but people have lost weight with it, some havent lost much.

But the pre-op diet is very restrictive (depending what your on, e.g. the milk diet) so you need to be in the right frame of mind for that otherwise you may find yourself nibbling bits here and there that you shouldnt.

Basically, dont pin all your hopes on the pre-op diet, try your hardest to lose the extra weight now. xxxxxxxx

Sunderland WILL cancel your op if you've gained over the target weight loss they gave you. It has been done, and I have personally seen it done.
BUT you have plenty of time to put this situation right, so don't panic. But find the motivation NOW to start eating healthily and lose those excess pounds.
Pre-op, I cut out chocolate and most sweet stuff (you'll have to post-op because of the risk of dumping) it sounds hard, but it can be done. Then about 5 weeks pre-op, I went on a high protein, very low carb, no fat diet. It worked and I lost the weight I needed to.

Because I was also in your predicament and needed to lose some weight fast. ;)

Also try to drink plenty of NS drinks. They fill you up. You can do this! Go for it girl!
Best wishes
Grace xxx

Thanks girls you have all been great help:)

True but really the only person who can really help is you. You have a while to get a handle on this and you should start to alter your eating patterns now to get you ready for your procedure.

Forget dieting as we all know through years of failure and misery that diets don't work for most of us, you just need to make tiny adjustments to your eating and exercise regimes and you will be ok

I just ate a little less crap between my medical assessment and my op date and managed without trying too hard to lose 55 pounds, and I didn't diet at all apart from the very strict two week pre op

If you really want this you will do it. If you don't and they cancel your operation you really will kick yourself so just take it easy and you'll be fine

Sunderland WILL cancel your op if you've gained over the target weight loss they gave you. It has been done, and I have personally seen it done.
Grace xxx
Grace is correct any weight gains between appointments and they WILL stop your op/ or delay it, they set these small reasonable targets for a reason, if you show commitment from your end then all will go well, if you do not Srh will cancel your op and give the surgery slot to another patient that has followed there patient pathway which was explained at seminar, i know its hard but if you want this op bad enough the weight can be lost that they have asked of you, as the others have said you have time to do this, please dont waste this life changing oppertunity, good luck xxx

Hiya! sounds like ur almost there now hub, don't give up and remain focussed! I was on preop diet for one week and lost 9 lbs in this time, but pretty much starved myself and worked hard in the gym! It does fall off u but depends on the individual, I went from eating 3/4 takeaways a week to living off soup and slimfast so the loss was rather huge! All the best and good luck xx

2011 start's now

Hi All,
well i managed to do the pre op diet for 10 days and i lost 8 pounds so i was well happy, but over 3 days (christmas) put 3 pound back on so im gutted...again! but this is it now...and i mean it! 2011 starts here!!! it's going to be a great year i can taste it...the milk that is;)

Back