• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dreaded Letter

elffie01

Im Meellttinngg!! :)
Ok So some of you will be wondering what the hell is the matter with me...but to me its a deal ok not a big deal as such but still a deal lol:(

Got a letter from my GP stating that she has now found out a little more of what she has to do... she has to apply for the funding. I havent been accepted for surgery yet, not due at hospital till 5th Nov.
My GP didnt have a clue when i went to ask for a referral but now says she is the one that has to apply for the funding, so im asking people for a little advice.
Do I write my own letter and ask her to include this in with her letter for application.If so what do I put in it ? I dont have HBP or HC (that i know of) mainly aches pains, self esteem, not wanting to go out etc.
Or do i, as someone else suggested, write to the surgeon before i go for my appointment. She did this as she said they only allot 15 mins to see him.

Or do i do both ?

Im so nervous about this letter, as i have read the horror stories of getting funding.

Maxine
xx

Hi Maxine first of all dont panic. Your GP writes to the PCT for funding you can write a letter yourself to be taken into consideration. I did this and sent it directly to the PCT. The lady from my PCT told me she then takes the information and puts it into the computor. There appears to be little room on the computor for everything so she picks out the main points. (this is what she told me) she also said that the Panel tend not to read the letters as they have to be tough on their decisions. I was totally upset at this because if your GP does not give a full and frank reason why you are wanting surgery (mine did not) it makes a massive difference. I am due to see the surgeon tomorrow without funding in place and I keep feeling someone will shout out that I cant go. In fact his secretary called me this morning and I near had heart failure in case she said my appointment was cancelled. It was just a reassurance call and to say they had located my paperwork at last. She has told me not to worry about the PCT because if the surgeon says yes they tend to have to give it. I do know that some surgeons on this site will not see you without funding, as long as yours IS prepared to see you prior to getting funding in place you will have it much better if you can understand what I mean. Finally it is a big deal, a very big deal to all of us, we all take inspiration and support from people who had gone further on in the journey and I strongly believe there is not a person on this forum who thinks its not a big deal. Please please dont panic and get stressed its a massive learning curve and gods knows where I would be without the ton of knowledge on this site. ((HUG))...xx

:hug99: elffie it's a minefield of confusion when you first start out! I would write the letter for the PCT if I were you, to explain your self esteem and self image problems and how your weight causes this.

Good luck.

Thanks you two. You know i didnt realise how stressful this was. Dont get me wrong i realise the stress of the surgery and the following lifestyle, but i wasnt prepared for how stressed i am ( or i feel) now at the beginning. Im not a stressful person but this is a big big thing for me and im certainly not taking it lightly in any way.
Got nurse appt at GP clinic for blood test, BP check, height and weight check and i have asked them to do a cholesterol check too, Im even thinking of asking for a thyroid check too. So all that to look forward to on thursday lol, maybe my BP will look high considering im stressed lol.

*sigh time for a coffee :p

I have just spoken to the PCT lady and I cannot believe that no where on my application does it say (according to her) that I am three lots of medication to maintain my BP, that I have tried reductil three times and orlistat once. That I attended weight management (they now have a letter for that but state it was 2006 and not 2007). I am pulling my hair out here. She has said to ask them to fax over a history of my reductil, blood pressure meds and that will go a long way to helping. She said it just reads that I have been struggling for years and not telling them what I have tried. I have just dug out the oriniginal letter that my GP sent off requesting funding which clearly states in it that I take three lots of medication and other factors what is going on here! What do I do know? One hand is saying one thing and the other hand is saying something else. She also said on the computor it stated that I had attended weight management but she had no letter in my paper file to back this up....my stress levels are rising....Linda x

I agree with Shell, write your own letter detailing what the surgery would do for your own health and self esteem. it is confusing to begin with but it does get easier. good luck and keep us posted xx

Back