• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GP referral - now what?

jopwo_87

Sorry loads of questions!

OK first of all background info...
Im 21 years old, weight just over 21 stone and am 5 foot 2. BMI through the roof :break_diet:

Been seeing nurse now for a few weeks and she agreed to talk to doc with me to see if he will refer me as she thinks i make a good case. Went this morning and doctor has agree to refer me. He said he will 'write a letter to the surgeon'. (Bromley is my nearest)

What does this mean?

When i said, 'dont i have to apply for funding'? He said 'no its the surgeons decision'. Is this right?

How long should i expect to wait before appointment etc? I dont think he had time to tell me what happens next ie appointments, waiting time, funding etc so can anyone fill me in?

I think he was mentioning a band more than a bypass, would this be OK for someone of my size? Wouldnt it be more effective if it was the bypass?

Gosh, so many questions but im just confused. Basically he just agreed to write the letter and then shooed me out without explaining so im really quite lost as to where i stand?

Thanks in advance :)

xx

Hi J, I'm sorry I don't know the answers to your questions but just wanted to say Hi.

Someone clever will be along (possibly later or in the morning) who will know answers.

x

Hey Jopwo,

I'm not too sure about the funding/surgeon’s process for your area as each PCT follows different procedures.

However, I'm sure there is someone around from your area who will hopefully help to make things a little clearer for you. I know it is difficult not knowing what to expect at the start as I was one of two on here who had been referred by Calderdale and Huddersfield. To make matters more complicated for myself, I am the first patient (and only at the moment) to be referred to Elland Spire in Halifax (under NHS).

As for your question about band or bypass: there are quite a few active threads on this site debating the pros and cons of both procedures. You can either find these out yourself or your surgeon should adequately describe them to you when you meet with him. However, it is ultimately your decision which procedure you go for as you are the one who will have to live with it for the rest of your life. I am a 22 year old who has a slightly lower BMI than you and I am having a Bypass. This does not mean that it is the best operation for you though. Only you can decide and in most cases the best person you can talk about it with is your surgeon. Although I have to say the people on here are fab to talk too, especially as many of them talk from experience.

If you are concerned about what happens next, or you haven’t heard back from your referral for a while then don’t be afraid to either ring or see your GP. Another great person to contact is your local PCT's PALS service. They should be able to find out the answers to most (if not all) your questions. Mine were great when I was unsure of what was happening next.

I hope all goes well for you!

X

Hey Jopwo I am in the same boat as you at the moment. I have been referred to Charring X and I have got my 1st group meeting appointment but it is all 1 big minefield. I just want to get the ball rolling now but reading on here I could still be waiting months.
Keep in touch and let me know how you get on. Good Luck hun.

Sorry loads of questions!

OK first of all background info...
Im 21 years old, weight just over 21 stone and am 5 foot 2. BMI through the roof :break_diet:

Been seeing nurse now for a few weeks and she agreed to talk to doc with me to see if he will refer me as she thinks i make a good case. Went this morning and doctor has agree to refer me. He said he will 'write a letter to the surgeon'. (Bromley is my nearest)

What does this mean?

When i said, 'dont i have to apply for funding'? He said 'no its the surgeons decision'. Is this right?

How long should i expect to wait before appointment etc? I dont think he had time to tell me what happens next ie appointments, waiting time, funding etc so can anyone fill me in?

I think he was mentioning a band more than a bypass, would this be OK for someone of my size? Wouldnt it be more effective if it was the bypass?

Gosh, so many questions but im just confused. Basically he just agreed to write the letter and then shooed me out without explaining so im really quite lost as to where i stand?

Thanks in advance :)

xx

I can only speak for myself.
I was referred by my GP to the consultant for WLS. I recieved an appointment within 4 weeks.

Some GP's know little beyond referring you to the consultant.

It was the consultant that decided Bypass was better for me because I have diabetes and high blood.

In my case the consultant applied for funding. Though I have read on here of GP appling for funding. This may varie from area to area(Idon't know).

Back