• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Driving and Sleep apnea advice pls

IRJ

Has you can read i suffer with severe sleep apnea and ime on the cpap machine to control it but i havnt informed my company, the dvla or the company insurance has i have a company car bcos ime a sales manager and drive about 400 miles per week, now i understand what the dvla will do by me filling a form in allowing them to access my notes etc but what happens if my company insurance tell me i cant drive am i entitled to any benefits if i cant work i dont want this to happen but i would appreciate any bodys advice if poss

Hi, i'm not an expert but if you are using the cpap machine every night, i would have thought you were ok.
Wls is a cure for 90% of people with sleep apnea.

Has you can read i suffer with severe sleep apnea and ime on the cpap machine to control it but i havnt informed my company, the dvla or the company insurance has i have a company car bcos ime a sales manager and drive about 400 miles per week, now i understand what the dvla will do by me filling a form in allowing them to access my notes etc but what happens if my company insurance tell me i cant drive am i entitled to any benefits if i cant work i dont want this to happen but i would appreciate any bodys advice if poss

Hi IRJ hows you, well i have just been in ur situation so i can help you with what i was told, from what i remember speaking to u a few days ago u have not really got to grips with the apap just like me but my apnea is very low.
Were you told to stop driving as i was told i had to and that was whilst i was waiting for diagnosis.

1)what did your consultant say did they tell you to stop driving as they are meant to by law
2) you have to inform the dvla, if you dont they can revoke ur license and fine you.
3)you have to inform your insurance company as ur insurance might not be valid with your severe apanea diagnosis as ur condition is not under control.
4) If your not allowed to drive no more and that means you are not able to keep your job then you are entitled to benefits and more than likely incapacity benefit as ur apanea is so severe and not under control.
5) Has your consultant told you that u have to send the data card back in a certain length of time so they can see if the apap is controlling your apnea maybe then if its being controlled you would be able to drive but untill they can be sure that yor condition is under control they might not let you drive and i would think the same goes for the dvla.

I must admit i did not inform the dvla 6 weeks ago when my doc told me to stop driving as i have read that the dvla can revoke ur license till ur condition is under control and as my mobility is bad i was scared so i just cancelled my insurance and did not drive for 6 weeks.
Yesterday my consultant emailed me and told me that as my apnea is so low i can be driving straight away and there is no guarantee that the apap will even make a diff for me.
So i was very worried but i did call the dvla who said that as it was low apnea and my consultant said i can drive they would just send me a form as a formality but i can drive straight away without any restrictions.
I posted about my worries and got some good links with some good advice, here is the link to the thread i started, maybe it can help you with some concrete advice.
Pls check it out very carefully b4 making any phone calls to the relevant authorities as the situation is very diff for you as u have severe sleep apnea.
I hope this has helped you a bit, am sorry if it is not what you wanted to hear but its best to deal with it now b4 it turns round and bites u on the ar*e.
Take care luv Roch xxx

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-we...ea-informing-dvla-need-some-advice-pls-x.html

Back