• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Low score Apnea and informing dvla need some advice pls x

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all, well my consultant just emailed me and said i can now drive again as i have a very low score apnoea.
I stopped driving as soon as i went to my doc and he referred me and cancelled my insurance so i would not be tempted to drive.
I only got my diagnosis late last week and now i have the go ahead to drive but i am wondering what to say to the dvla.
I never informed them as i did not have a diagnosis so i had nothing to tell them, when i tell them now what are they going to say to me and is it going to bump up my insurance now, i have a few questions :p:p

1) Did u inform the dvla
2) Did u stop driving after diagnosis
3)When were u allowed to drive again and wat was the process
4) Did u have a low/moderate/high apnea score

Soz for all the questions but am so happy to be able to drive again, thanks all xxxxxxx

I have just done a bit of basic research on the Governent webites.

It looks as if you should formally notified the DVLA that you had been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnoea and you are not allowed to drive again until you have been formally medically cleared.

See Information leaflet INF 154(?) http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065252.pdf and the "At a Glance" summary of medical requirements for driving - link from here At a glance guide to the current medical standards of fitness to drive (The relevant part of the document is part 7)

The following page gives you advice about "What happens next" What happens after you have told DVLA about your medical condition : Directgov - Motoring

Unfortunately, it looks as if you are legally required to notify the DVLA that you have had a diagnosis.

But, the good news, is that you should be given the formal all clear to drive from DVLA within 15 days.

If I were you, I would phone the DVLA tomorrow (you don't have to give your details :D) and ask them for their advice.

Remember, if you don't, it could well result in the Insurance company trying to invalidate your cover which is a whole other world of pain :eek:

Hope it all works out

TillyBob

My husband has severe apnoea and he notified the DVLA and it was a formality. He has never stopped driving and uses the CPAP each night.

Hi Roch, I have no idea what advice to give you but im sure you're glad you'll be back on the roads again :character00182: you must have been cracking up not being able to drive I know I would have. Hopefully you get it sorted!!

Kate x

Back