• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating Disorders after surgery

carrieb

Happy Bypasser
Have been wondering lately if there has been any research into people developing eating disorders after surgery ? I'm thinking it must be quite easy to be too extreme with your eating and end up becoming anorexic/bullimic. Not that I am, just something that keeps popping into my head, and I've not seen it mentioned on here.

You are right in your thinking. I know of at least tw people in that situation

Hi Carrie
Good question
I often wonder about that too ..
I am still obsessed with food but eat relativly healthily.. I am starting to get people say i am losing too much weight but i am not at governments 'healthy' BMI yet ..

What happens if you keep losing weight and go to a low bmi ??

Nicky

I'm surprised this isn't mentioned (to my knowledge) at any consultations - I would think it's probably quite widespread, as it seems to me that a lot of people go off food completely, so to take it that extra level would not be too difficult.

Not that I'm anywhere near being like that - just wondered is all!:)

My team and close friends think I'm getting one.... I can't see it. Logically I know they are right. Logically I know just 5 more kilos. Had to have intravenous vitamin infusion, this is a wake up call but just 5 more kilos....

I was told on my MDT day that transfer addiction can be an issue, and was warned that under eating can become as addictive as overeating. I still love food too much for that kind of thing.

I hate food now it hurts and makes me sick. If I never had to eat again it would be great is how I feel right now. I've got myself into deficiencies really quickly so had IV vitamin and iron infusion yesterday.

Wake up call??

If I could live on milk forever I would. I weigh myself once a week, but what the scales say is not indicative of my size, it how much my bones stick out is what I notice. However illogical side of me wants the scales to say a certain figure regardless of logical side just saying where the hell is it going to come from on me.

Just 5 more kilos :(

How awful to feel that way, I know you have had a lot of problems. But the way you write about food does set off alarm bells a bit. I have watched one of my sisters flip from overeating disorder to mild anorexia, and I have a cousin who has it so severe she had been under 5 stone for nearly 5 years, she is in a cycle of loosing conciousness, getting sectioned and being NG fed. It is the most devastating of illnesses.

I get the scales not quite tallying with size thing though, they just dont! I'm now a size 16, which is actually what I aimed for. But I am 3 1/2 stone heavier than I thought i would be when I reached this goal. Personally I still struggle with overeating, although my days of binge eating seem to be behind me.

My team and close friends think I'm getting one.... I can't see it. Logically I know they are right. Logically I know just 5 more kilos. Had to have intravenous vitamin infusion, this is a wake up call but just 5 more kilos....

I hope you can get the help and support you need. It would be such a shame to put yourself at risk from what should be a positive life change. Take care, and keep us updated - I'm worrying about you now xx

Interesting question.
I have my first appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow. I have been seeing a psychologist through occupational health at work. She thinks that mentally I was not ready for weight loss surgery having binge eating disorder. I was sleeved in March 2012 and initially lost 5 stone but have now started bingeing again. Although I cant eat the amounts I could before I can still binge on crisps and sugary stuff. I have started putting on weight and hate food.
I get distressed when food shopping and often have to leave the shop and return another time. If I never had to eat again I would be happy but I still obsess about food and when I can eat next and what I can have. It is awful. I am hoping tomorrow will be the start to some proper therapy.

Back