• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Embarking on my WL journey

Kaz50

Hi

Thanks for adding me :)
I am booked to have a gastric band by Chris de Bruyne in Brussels next month and like other posts from members, am beginning to feel a tad anxious about it and ‘the not knowing’.

Can anyone tell me how they felt after their band surgery ie- pain, any limitations to daily activities, returning to work etc etc?

With regards to the band, any advise on the size of band initial inflation size? I dont know how this is worked out, I guess on my current weight and target weight, so again any advise from those who have this experience I’d be grateful.

Any tips prior to surgery pre or post?

Apologies for all the asks, it’s all quite overwhelming isn’t it? X

K50

Hi

I am booked to have a gastric band by Chris de Bruyne in Brussels next month and like other posts from members, am beginning to feel a tad anxious about it and ‘the not knowing’.

Can anyone tell me how they felt after their band surgery ie- pain, any limitations to daily activities, returning to work etc etc?

With regards to the band, any advise on the size of band initial inflation size? I dont know how this is worked out, I guess on my current weight and target weight, so again any advise from those who have this experience I’d be grateful.

K50
I am a bypass patient but welcome to the group and good luck to you xxxx

Hi

K50
Hi, welcome to the sight, I'm still pre op, but try reading @Jonicorn diary as she is a bander and you might get some info your interested in there. Good luck x

Hi and welcome im pre opp but there is loads of info off banders on here i think if u look down forums there is a dedicated band section but not sure if its in use or not but like sandra said joincorn is a bander also slimkim and bling are experts in protien and stuff and what u need after surgery read some diarys it gives u a insight into wls oh and good look i think kim went abroad for her sleeve

Hi

K50

Hey Kaz,

How exciting! It's the best thing I ever did. The pain levels after surgery are absolutely fine. I only needed calpol after surgery and it really look the edge off. I was up and mobile just a couple of hours after resting off the anaesthetic. After waiting hours for my bladder to wake up I was allowed to go home the same day. Felt really rough for a couple of days but nothing to do with the band or the op itself, just the anaesthetic. During the healing process it just felt like bruising really.

I had a small band but you won't know what band you get until the doctor sees inside because it depends on the size of your stomach I believe. My band is 10ml, I have had 4 fills and now have a total of 6.65ml in my band and believe I am at restriction. Theres no way of knowing how many ml you will need until you reach your preferred restriction because its different for everyone, some only take 1 or 2ml and then others have a full band so there is a bit of a process after you've had it to get to where you want to be but its perfect to use that time to get into a healthy habit of how to eat and what to eat etc. Im still learning and I am 6 months in.

The advice I would give you would be:
1. Take your liver reduction diet seriously. Some people will have a final blow out meal, or make small adjustments to the guidelines or do a little cheat here or there but it is sooo important to train your brain. I value those 2 weeks more than anything at the moment because it taught me to say no and instilled how important healthy choices are. Obviously if you want to have a final blow out, it is entirely up to you, I don't think it has any kind of major effect on your surgery but having a band is different to bypass and sleeve where if you over eat with a band, you could potentially move it which would require a further operation so just getting into healthy habits early is really important.

2. When you've had surgery and you are on your liquid diet it is really hard to find things to eat, you will also be having all kinds of cravings so the best thing I had was baby food!! just add salt and they are as good as the real thing, trust me, try it haha.

3. Take before pictures, before you even start the liver reduction diet, you will look back on them even more than you know. Also, take your measurements, bust, waist, hips, thigh, bicep, belly. When your weight stops dropping, your inches will start dropping instead.

Keep us all updated, I don't know what I would have done without this forum throughout the entire thing. xxx

Welcome and good luck, jornicorns diary would definitely help you, I she has already given you lots of info, there are other banders on here too and it’s well worth reading as many diaries as you can. Very good luck xx

Hi, I Dr Chris did my sleeve Feb 2018. Best money I ever spent! The hotel and hospital are comfy. Happy to answer questions about the trip. I'm sleeved so don't know much about how bands work but @Jonicorn is our resident band expert who's already passed on some excellent advice. Dr Chris allowed my and gastric bypassed a last blow out meal nught before the surgery. Fred or Bart will give you all the info though.

Hey Kaz,

How exciting! It's the best thing I ever did. The pain levels after surgery are absolutely fine. I only needed calpol after surgery and it really look the edge off. I was up and mobile just a couple of hours after resting off the anaesthetic. After waiting hours for my bladder to wake up I was allowed to go home the same day. Felt really rough for a couple of days but nothing to do with the band or the op itself, just the anaesthetic. During the healing process it just felt like bruising really.

I had a small band but you won't know what band you get until the doctor sees inside because it depends on the size of your stomach I believe. My band is 10ml, I have had 4 fills and now have a total of 6.65ml in my band and believe I am at restriction. Theres no way of knowing how many ml you will need until you reach your preferred restriction because its different for everyone, some only take 1 or 2ml and then others have a full band so there is a bit of a process after you've had it to get to where you want to be but its perfect to use that time to get into a healthy habit of how to eat and what to eat etc. Im still learning and I am 6 months in.

The advice I would give you would be:
1. Take your liver reduction diet seriously. Some people will have a final blow out meal, or make small adjustments to the guidelines or do a little cheat here or there but it is sooo important to train your brain. I value those 2 weeks more than anything at the moment because it taught me to say no and instilled how important healthy choices are. Obviously if you want to have a final blow out, it is entirely up to you, I don't think it has any kind of major effect on your surgery but having a band is different to bypass and sleeve where if you over eat with a band, you could potentially move it which would require a further operation so just getting into healthy habits early is really important.

2. When you've had surgery and you are on your liquid diet it is really hard to find things to eat, you will also be having all kinds of cravings so the best thing I had was baby food!! just add salt and they are as good as the real thing, trust me, try it haha.

3. Take before pictures, before you even start the liver reduction diet, you will look back on them even more than you know. Also, take your measurements, bust, waist, hips, thigh, bicep, belly. When your weight stops dropping, your inches will start dropping instead.

Keep us all updated, I don't know what I would have done without this forum throughout the entire thing. xxx

Jonicorn (& everyone else) thanks for all the advise and comments of support, I’m greatful.
I’ve decided to do the low calorie pre-op LRD as we are going away a few days before I travel to Brussels so this would make life easier than trying to drink just milk and yoghurt in front of friends.

Only my husband, son & best friend know I am having WLS as I don’t want criticism or negativity beforehand, am I doing the right thing or should I throw caution to the wind?

Jonicorn, with regards to post-op eating, your advise for baby food is great but can I eat my own homemade purées/soups? I’ve made a few batches and frozen these in advance as a bit of forward planning and motivation.

I was planning to return to work the following week but I’m a paramedic and therefore our work is quite heavy and physical so will probably have to play this by ear.

I’m so glad I stumbled across this forum as I live in a small remote community (what people don’t know they kinda make up) so this group will be a lifeline.

Thanks again :) x

Jonicorn (& everyone else) thanks for all the advise and comments of support, I’m greatful.
I’ve decided to do the low calorie pre-op LRD as we are going away a few days before I travel to Brussels so this would make life easier than trying to drink just milk and yoghurt in front of friends.

Only my husband, son & best friend know I am having WLS as I don’t want criticism or negativity beforehand, am I doing the right thing or should I throw caution to the wind?

Jonicorn, with regards to post-op eating, your advise for baby food is great but can I eat my own homemade purées/soups? I’ve made a few batches and frozen these in advance as a bit of forward planning and motivation.

I was planning to return to work the following week but I’m a paramedic and therefore our work is quite heavy and physical so will probably have to play this by ear.

I’m so glad I stumbled across this forum as I live in a small remote community (what people don’t know they kinda make up) so this group will be a lifeline.

Thanks again :) x

Hey Kaz,

Oh absolutely have your own puree's. The weeks after surgery should mostly be spent focussing on a healthy recovery so anything you can tolerate post op is a bonus. I was really lucky and never had any problems with my food choices but when things got boring, I turned to baby food haha I was so excited to have spag bol baby food, and it was lovely.

I have only told my family and colleagues about my surgery. I work for a really small company so nothing stays secret so decided to tell them. You seem to have it all worked out so next step is to just start the count down. I returned to work the following week and I kind of wish I hadnt. Although my job isnt physical, it does require me to sit for long periods of time and so I found myself in a lot of discomfort from not being able to get up and walk around.

Hi and welcome to the madhouse x

Hi and welcome looking forward to seeing your journey unfold:) xx

Hey all :)

Can anyone recommend if it’s ok to drink things like Weetabix protein cereal drinks and other protein drinks post surgery? I’ve been advised to take yoghurt drinks and smooth soups but wondered if these alternatives were permissible?
X

Hiya,
In the first weeks after surgery, you should pretty much have what you can tolerate. Your focus will be on a healthy healing and adjusting to your new tummy. I couldnt tolerate anything at all for the first few days. I tried cranberry juice the day of my surgery, that went down well, and I tried a cuppa tea, nope. Water was fine. Soup was okay but only small amounts. Orange juice was fine. I think having the weetabix drink would be a good idea because one thing which the doctors fail to mention is that the constipation after surgery is an absolute (and literal) pain!! Get as much fiber as you can in your diet, I wish I had known about this before I had my surgery because I was terribly uncomfortable. Protein levels are always really important, ask anyone on this forum and they will advise that you can never have too much so if you can tolerate it, then take it :) xxx How many sleeps now?

Hey all :)

Can anyone recommend if it’s ok to drink things like Weetabix protein cereal drinks and other protein drinks post surgery? I’ve been advised to take yoghurt drinks and smooth soups but wondered if these alternatives were permissible?
X
Hiya, protein shakes would be great, it really is vitality important to get as much protein in as possible, with things like weetabix protein cereal drink a word of warning, watch the carbs, they can be quite high although as Jonicorn says the fibre is really good for you xxx

I drank those but found them very filling but I could tolerate them well hun. Hope your doing ok :) xx

So it’s 11 days until my gastric band surgery day and I have all kinds of mixed feelings, like is gonna work, how much will I loose, how menatally challenging will it all be blah blah.
I know deep in my heart I’m doing the right thing for me, and that’s the most important thing. I don’t know how I will face comments and potential negativity but i’ll Cross that bridge as and when.
How soon will I be able to exercise post surgery and are there any do’s and don’ts?
I started my LRD 4 days ago but the scales aren’t showing any positive results so any additional advise??
The wk end in London before my surgery is going to be such a challenge with the LRD, as I’ve not told my friends I’m having it so hoping that they won’t question too much my food choices and no alcohol! They’ll think I’m ill hahaha.

Hope everyone is well and doing good x

Hi, I Dr Chris did my sleeve Feb 2018. Best money I ever spent! The hotel and hospital are comfy. Happy to answer questions about the trip. I'm sleeved so don't know much about how bands work but @Jonicorn is our resident band expert who's already passed on some excellent advice. Dr Chris allowed my and gastric bypassed a last blow out meal nught before the surgery. Fred or Bart will give you all the info though.
Hi @slimkim
I’m having my band surgery a week today and wandered if I could ask a few questions as I know Dr Chris did your surgery.
1) I’ve had little communications with ‘David’ (not Fred or Bart??) who’s been the email contact for europesurgery, so concerned that I’ve not been given enough info or will I get this at my consultation the night before?
2) When did they ask you to pay and was it in cash?
3) Inhave a list of questions to ask at my consult, did u do the same?

Thanks for reading this, I just have a little juggle in the back of my head that it sounds too good to be true and I’m going to end up being scammed lol.

Last minute jitters I guess.

X

Hi @slimkim
I’m having my band surgery a week today and wandered if I could ask a few questions as I know Dr Chris did your surgery.
1) I’ve had little communications with ‘David’ (not Fred or Bart??) who’s been the email contact for europesurgery, so concerned that I’ve not been given enough info or will I get this at my consultation the night before?
2) When did they ask you to pay and was it in cash?
3) Inhave a list of questions to ask at my consult, did u do the same?

Thanks for reading this, I just have a little juggle in the back of my head that it sounds too good to be true and I’m going to end up being scammed lol.

Last minute jitters I guess.

X

Fred sent me info before my surgery. I've never heard of a David. Is this a go between company for Belgium surgery services (Dr Chris' surgery). I didn't deal with that company so don't have any info. BSS I paid everything before I went be bank transfer. I had the option to pay deposit by bank transfer and then cash when I arrived but I didn't want to travel with that cash. I know some people did though and are comfy with that. BSS does consultation in the UK before you book with them. You should have a lot of your questions answered before you commit to a surgery.

Contact David and ask your questions and if you can have a consultation first.

Hope that helps.

Back