• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Embarking on my WL journey

Well I had my surgery in Brussels on Tuesday and I can not fault the care and and treatment I have had.
I travel back home today feeling a tad sore and exhausted, but to be expected.
So, now to focus on getting to know my new ‘friend’ and how we can work together to achieve the results I am aiming for.
The next few weeks are going to be a challenge with adjusting to a new diet but it’s the start of a new beginning, right??

Any tips on how best to manage fluids only for the next 2-3 weeks is welcomed. X

Well I had my surgery in Brussels on Tuesday and I can not fault the care and and treatment I have had.
So, now to focus on getting to know my new ‘friend’ and how we can work together to achieve the results I am aiming for.
The next few weeks are going to be a challenge with adjusting to a new diet but it’s the start of a new beginning, right??

Any tips on how best to manage fluids only for the next 2-3 weeks is welcomed. X

Welcome to the bench Kaz! I'm glad it all went well for you.
The next few weeks will be a challenge but just take it one day at a time and you'll get there. Once you get into the swing of things the days will just pass by and to me it doesn't feel as though you're actively 'dieting'.
As for fluids, just keep sipping little and often. Fortunately I went straight onto puree so I don't have any experience with the liquid only phase, but try and make sure you get in your sources of protein. .
I'm sure others will be along soon with more experience of the liquid only phase.
xx

I am one year post op from surgery with Dr Chris and @bex.wils is going in April for her surgery.

The first few weeks focus on protein high liquids like runny yogurt, milk, protein powder drinks if you fancy them. Getting something nutritious in you will help you feel better. Welcome to the weight loss bench. I hope it's a smooth ride for you.

Congratulations hun xx

Welcome to the losers bench, sip sip sip all day long, try to focus on as much protein as you can but don’t get hung up on it at this early stage, protein shakes, milky coffee, clear soups with marvel milk powder, protein yogurts thinned down with milk if needed
Good luck, I found I wasn’t interested in eating at this point which made it easier
And yes absolutely it is the start to your new life xxx

Congrats, hope you have a speedy recovery, keep sipping xx

Thanks all. Am sipping away but still have a lot of discomfort from trapped wind so hoping this eases soon.
When I go onto blended foods I was told I can’t eat bananas, pasta, rice and bread (which I understand) for 3 months, yet the diet advise sheet says differently? What’s everyone else’s w experiences once they start on blended/purée foods? Xx

I have avoided bread pasta & rice. Not because I was told to just read somewhere they swell in the stomach x

Thanks all. Am sipping away but still have a lot of discomfort from trapped wind so hoping this eases soon.
When I go onto blended foods I was told I can’t eat bananas, pasta, rice and bread (which I understand) for 3 months, yet the diet advise sheet says differently? What’s everyone else’s w experiences once they start on blended/purée foods? Xx
I wasn’t advised not too and did have blended banana in a protein shake but I’ve avoided pasta and rice since surgery because I read a lot about bypass pouches not being able to tolerate them well x

Hi kaz, I hope you’re good and feeling as best as you can considering. I was banded 5 years ago but unfortunately I’ve had slippage and erosion October 2017. Saying that I assume it’s thats why it is as I had an X-ray on nhs and sent the images to Frederik at BSS to which he had advised it looks like that’s happened. Nhs have been poor with assisting and giving advice. After putting almost 4 of my 6 stone lost I have booked in for a revision to mini gastric bypass with dr Chris 16th April. By band will be removed and my stomach will be rejigged.

Advice on band what I can remember
Wind pain is terrible, I found there was nothing I could do and it lasted for a full 7 days for me. I drank lots of peppermint and walked around my living room and up and down stairs as much as I could to try and shift it. Grin and bear it is my only advice for that. In the first month I think head hunger was the pain not the actual eating itself. I was happy with soups and shakes and I went onto mash and corned beef which was a lovely treat. Cannot remember how long I waited before going to mash. Please do ask any questions and I will try my best to help.
Reading your diary has helped put my mind at rest for travelling to BSS. Fly 15th April fly home 20th. Can’t wait to get my life back!! I really am i misery at the moment.
Rebecca

Oh Bex, what an ordeal you’re having. But come April things should start to improve again for you.
Today I feel pretty much my old self again, no more pain or wind (I was not prepared for that).
The Hotel in Brussels -The Lodge, is very nice, clean and comfortable. There is no evening food but there is a lovely restaurant about 5 mins walk away which the staff will give you directions too.
Frederick, Dr Chris and Bart were all lovely and will give you time for any questions or concerns you may have.
The hospital has 2 parts, the old and new building. New building is very modern, light and well staffed. I really can not fault my care at any stage. You are given regular pain relief, blood tests, observations and info.

I appreciate your reply and support as I know this is going to be the biggest challenge I’m going to face and it’s great to know there is support out there.

Best wishes xx

Hi kaz, I hope you’re good and feeling as best as you can considering. I was banded 5 years ago but unfortunately I’ve had slippage and erosion October 2017. Saying that I assume it’s thats why it is as I had an X-ray on nhs and sent the images to Frederik at BSS to which he had advised it looks like that’s happened. Nhs have been poor with assisting and giving advice. After putting almost 4 of my 6 stone lost I have booked in for a revision to mini gastric bypass with dr Chris 16th April. By band will be removed and my stomach will be rejigged.

Advice on band what I can remember
Wind pain is terrible, I found there was nothing I could do and it lasted for a full 7 days for me. I drank lots of peppermint and walked around my living room and up and down stairs as much as I could to try and shift it. Grin and bear it is my only advice for that. In the first month I think head hunger was the pain not the actual eating itself. I was happy with soups and shakes and I went onto mash and corned beef which was a lovely treat. Cannot remember how long I waited before going to mash. Please do ask any questions and I will try my best to help.
Reading your diary has helped put my mind at rest for travelling to BSS. Fly 15th April fly home 20th. Can’t wait to get my life back!! I really am i misery at the moment.
Rebecca
I hope it brings you some relief it’ll soon be here, I wish you luck x

I am one year post op from surgery with Dr Chris and @bex.wils is going in April for her surgery.

The first few weeks focus on protein high liquids like runny yogurt, milk, protein powder drinks if you fancy them. Getting something nutritious in you will help you feel better. Welcome to the weight loss bench. I hope it's a smooth ride for you.

Silly question time. Can I make my own chicken soup with onions and pots etc as long as it’s not lumpy and thin enough once blended down?? X

Oh Bex, what an ordeal you’re having. But come April things should start to improve again for you.
Today I feel pretty much my old self again, no more pain or wind (I was not prepared for that).
The Hotel in Brussels -The Lodge, is very nice, clean and comfortable. There is no evening food but there is a lovely restaurant about 5 mins walk away which the staff will give you directions too.
Frederick, Dr Chris and Bart were all lovely and will give you time for any questions or concerns you may have.
The hospital has 2 parts, the old and new building. New building is very modern, light and well staffed. I really can not fault my care at any stage. You are given regular pain relief, blood tests, observations and info.

I appreciate your reply and support as I know this is going to be the biggest challenge I’m going to face and it’s great to know there is support out there.

Best wishes xx
Thank you can't wait x

Silly question time. Can I make my own chicken soup with onions and pots etc as long as it’s not lumpy and thin enough once blended down?? X

Making your own soup is even better for you than tinned. This way you control the salt and preservatives. Just a word of warning some people have issues with different ingredients post op. I cant handle onions for example. I get severe cramps from then, it's quite distressing. So try plain foods first before making a large batch. I had to give my partner a large batch of butternut squash soup I made at this stage because I used full fat coconut milk and my stomach could not digest it. Its trial and error before large batch cooking.x

Back