• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Experienced bypassers - I need some help!

Caroline101061

Hiya

Im beginning to panic - Im exactly 7 months post op and the weightloss has slowed right down. Im fighting headhunger (so far successfully but dont know for how long) and my honeymoon period is definitely over.

Need some tips to get back in the groove again and boost the weight loss. I have protein at every meal, drink as much as I can (water that is) and am being as good as possible.

Advice welcomed - thanks in anticipation.

Hi Caroline
Sorry to hear you are struggling. I only actually eat when im hungry and to check that out i always have a drink before be it a latte, orange juice, water or cordial before i committe to eating.
i start my day off with a milky coffee at 7am and then usually have my breakfast about 10 once kids have gone to school and i have done my housework. i may then not eat again till 4pm and have my dinner after the kids have gone to bed.
This fits in well with my life style and even now 12 months out im still loosing the odd pound.

The other thing is if it is boardam based take up a hobbie to occupy yourself. In the early days my DS was a saviour to keep my fingers busy.

Hth

carole

Im deffo getting hungry but Im only eating three times a day with the odd fruit snack. The head hunger kicks in after Ive eaten so I know its head hunger LOL. Thanks for replying though

:)Hi Caroline,

I'm pre-op so not much help - but wanted to echo what HC has said about keeping fingers/brain busy with computer games-

Try some of the arcade games on here-they'll drive you crackers but stops you thinking about food-lol

Hiya hun, I think my snacky head came back around month 8 or 9 which sounds like where you are. I would ask you to evaluate how many simple carbs you are eating (think white & fluffy - potatoes, rice, pasta, white bread), sometimes they can make you crave, sorta of a 'more you eat the more you want' thing. Try doing the pouch test, Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test I know it sounds mad but by going off all carbs for a few days you sorta reset things, I have never seen anyone do the pouch test and not lose weight. That is worth a shot.

Also, at 7-9 months your body may need a jump start in the form of exercise, many people find by adding 3 activities (power walking, swimming, gym) per week where you break a sweat you can boost your metabolism and trim fat. Evaluate how much activity you are getting and try to increase it by a 1/4-1/3, you will probably see a result right away.

Do you keep a food journal? Sometimes seeing it written out will give you a better idea where your calories are comming from and what your protein to carb ratio is (should be 2 to 1) so give some thought to using an online food calculator at least once a week to make sure you are on target. Another tip is plan for healthy 'snack' foods, for most of us the idea that we can just give-up snacks forever is silly, I mean I am gonna snack sometimes, I will, it is just a reality. What you can do to arm yourself is plan things that you can enjoy without guilt. If you are a sweet snack lover, try making protein cake, protein ice cream or some of the sugar-free treats found online, stock them in and keep them at hand for when you need them. If you are savory lover, I really like something crunchy so I keep twiglets in the kitchen so when I really crave a savoury snack I have them ready to go. For me, I know I won't always have the willpower to make perfect choices, I am real with myself about that, the truth is junk food has 'accidently' fallen in my mouth and I am sure it will happen from time to time. But if you 'change' what you indulge in to safer, more bypass friendly foods you can cope with the cravings without guilt.

Hope that helps you hun, you know where I am if you want to chat!
:pNic:p

Thanks Nic - will deffo step up on the exercise - its true that Im a lazy cow so if I can shock my body into burning up some energy then sobeit! Dont go much on the carbs to be honest - a slice of toast with my egg in the am and thats it - potatoes and rice dont taste right any more! Got too many sugar free treats in the cupboard to be honest - reminds me of my hoarding days when I used to panic if I didnt have something sweet in the house. Feeling more positive today so onwards and downwards as they say!

Back