• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling fit and fabulous! Surgery July 2013. Target 9 months later. Now maintaining

Mel ... Protein shakes are banned by my team, but there are plenty on here who were advised otherwise. Because I am veggie i was 'allowed' some NAS soya stuff in weeks 3-6 if I needed it but to be honest I never did.

The aim of the game is to condition yourself into a routine of three proper meals a day, eaten not too fast and not overchewed, whilst sitting at a table ie not in front of the TV multitasking. These grab and go meal replacement drinks do seem to be packed with sugar and fat ... i have started the 97% protein isolate for fuel for my exercise - I do not have any fat to burn so without the shake onboard I would start using up muscle which I am trying to build-up through my routine. I have lost 5lbs during the past week through not eating properly due to the chest from hell, and I do not have that much spare and need to get back in the zone and put it on. Man!

I am sorry I can't answer your protein question but I am sure when the time comes you will be guided accordingly. Remember that for about three months over your WLS journey you will be functioning on very few cals and you will survive xxxxx

Thank you so much for your help lilacglittergirl, it is truly appreciated. It does seem that different providers recommend different things completely. It doesn't help that my surgery will be down in Wales and there is no information online at all from the hospital and I can't find a support group either so I will be very much reliant on this fab forum xx

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using WLSurgery

Aw bless, thank you. I hope I do as well as you have. I can't wait. Although I've been away for a few days with the kids at my friends house and eaten nothing but junk so feel disgusted with myself at the moment but I think I just have to put it behind me and begin fresh in the morning xx

Mel - where are you with dates, etc? I assume your funding has been agreed and you are waiting to see your team re options, dates, etc. i am sure you will anyway but I just want to say that if you are offered the bypass don't hesitate to accept (in my experience and opinion). It really is the gold standard, with the disconnection of hunger-driving hormones at its heart. Food ceases to be of any great interest (junk or otherwise - with fats and sugars making us very ill which is a deterrent not to go there!) and the drastic rapid weight loss leading to positive lifestyle changes which replace our old best friend and worst enemy. Right now, why would I prejudice all I have achieved and all that is yet to come for the sake of a bag of greasy chips!

Keep us all informed as your journey progresses xx

Yes, funding has been approved by Swansea hospital and I see the nurse next month and then the surgeon 4 to 6 weeks later so I'll have a better idea then.

I was advised by the old nurse that used to work there to have the sleeve but saw something that suggested that the bypass would suit my eating habits better. I don't eat huge quantities, but I am a secret eater (God, I've never said that to anyone before) and I do pick in the evening, especially at night when I can't sleep so if the bypass will stop the urges and cravings then yes I'll go for that.

At the moment my back is killing me slowly, I have degenerative disc disease which has spread to the facet joint and I'm in agony 24/7, doped up on morphine and other pain relief. I'm hoping it will ease as I lose weight so I can have my life back and be able to exercise xx

Bless you Mel. That is the power of this forum - we are a community of unique individuals whose journey is never the same as that of anyone else, but we all share one common thing - getting our lives back through WLS. For some including myself, our lives never started until the WLS. No one is ever here to judge - we are all in this together, and anything we can do/be to help newbies through their life-changing surgery can only be another positive of our experience. This will be you this time next year I reckon, well on the way to a new healthier slimmer future. I am genuinely excited for you but also know very well how overwhelming it all seems at the beginning. I did not find this forum until a few weeks after my bypass and boy do I wish I had ... but hey ...

Like you, I truly did not eat huge amount of unhealthy food but did snack quite a lot instead of meals. I was a very underweight poorly baby and my mum I were lucky to make it through my birth. I was her only child - she was 43 when she had me, and in a very unhappy marriage. She had no sisters or female relatives to call upon for advise so did what the health professional advised in 1963 - to build me up with Cow and Gate. I became a chubby toddler, and from about age 3 my weight was the same as my years until I was 18. my controls had been reset.

Take good care Mel and please do always ask the forum if you have any questions. Someone will be along very soon with the answer. And, yes, the bypass - my surgeon only does the sleeve if he cannot achieve the bypass maybe due to adhesions following previous abdo surgery ... it really is the gold standard.
xxxxxx

It's been so helpful on here, it is far better than anything else on the Internet because like you said, it's all come from experience, not a book or a manual.

Knowledge like this really is priceless and I know now that this will be a lifeline throughout my wls journey.

I honestly can't keep going like I have been, I turn 40 in June and I think my life really will begin at 40 because hopefully I'll either have had the surgery or shall at least have a date for it to be done xx

Aw that's amazing lilacglittergirl! You must be over the moon!

I've just received a letter with my first appointment! It's for next month for the educational session with the nurse so I can then expect to see the surgeon 4 to 6 weeks later. I'm so excited now.

I've been under a lot of pressure at home recently which has messed up my progress on slimming world but I think I should carry on and get it sorted xx

Thanks guys! Mel - am really excited for you. Anything you do ahead to get yourself in the zone will be helpful ... When pressure rears it's head after WLS we cannot give in to habits involving food to get us through. And must seek other 'assistance'. This current cloud caused by pressure has a silver lining and your determination to push on with SW is very wise. It's hard but there is no negotiation with a bypass when you waved goodbye to comfort in food which was your best friend and worst enermy xxx

Thank you hun. Don't quite feel so alone in this now. It can be quite isolating being this big, nobody understands why I can't l lose weight just dieting but I've been there before and can't keep it off.

I want this sooooo much it hurts lilac xx

The aircraft seatbelt. One of the Holy Grails of WLS ... The excess reached my knee

Fantastic lilac. I really do need to organise a plane trip even if it is just to
experiance the seatbelt and table victory .. Hope you had a great time away. Bet the furries were glad to see you back though x

Mel ... You are in the right place here to get the support you need along every step of your journey. We all understand how it feels ... The journey is overwhelming in so many ways and is defo not a magic wand (anyone who has had WLS will tell you that). Keep on here on the forum and ask questions on your thread when you need to, and someone is sure to come along pretty quickly. keep focussed on what you want to achieve but take one step at a time. Always take the advice of your consultant - they do know best, even when we think we do! xx

Back